Grounding the Ball

1 hour ago, bobbies dad said:

Why have confusion when grounding the ball when scoring a try,watching Wigans first try on TV i am sure I saw daylight between hand and ball.Why can,t it revert back to Downward pressure with full control of the ball,no questions of wether little finger is touching ball etc.

I fully agree, When did this fingernail try actually become a thing anyway? 

You can be losing possession , have lost control of it but keep a pinky on and score .... but if you’ve lost possession you must totally regrip the ball . Bit of an anomaly . I agree some of these tries are ridiculous , have full control of the ball for mine . I guess it was done to get more tries , but it’s not a great look 

Video refs seems to call "No separation" as being a try.  Probably without a TV camera there the try would have been given on the spot.  Once you get into tv replays then at some point you have to decide on the margin what you call a try... you are reduced to counting fingers and fingertips.  If a try is given on field then the video ref would only give no try if it could see "No separation".

Archived