Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sports Prophet

Cheerleaders

Recommended Posts

As unfathomably English it is to detest cheerleaders (to be fair, I don’t recall any English sports crowd needing a cheer leader per se, you are all far superior at making an atmosphere than Aussies), do you think it is at all possible that they add value/interest to a match day experience?

Dp any SL clubs have cheerleaders?

Edited by Sports Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saints have the a dance group who do performances at half time and when a try is scored. I can’t say I watch it or that I’m particularly bothered about it either way but it is part of the community work the club does and it provides fitness and something to do for kids and if these classes and performances weren’t there, what would they be up to? 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will probably upset the fuglies on social media to see beautiful women choosing to cheerlead, they will try and cancel it the miserable sods.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I must admit 20 years ago I did enjoy the pretty Starlight girls doing their routines in front of the Fletcher Street end at Wilderspool.

It’s probably had it’s day though, the world is different now.

Edited by Cheshire Setter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the shift towards the whole political correctness has meant that the "cheerleaders" have become a "dance troop" as eluded to in previous posts and their benefits are for the wider community.

Would imagine they are linked to clubs as they have a better sell to youngster joining than just Wentworth Street Dancers (ramdom name of where they meet up to practice).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

It’s probably had it’s day though, the world is different now.

I don’t see why . If they want to do it , it’s more PR and outreach for the clubs . Probably do community stuff to in Oz so I don’t see the problem . Why stop people doing something without asking those involved .

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheerleading as a pastime or activity is doing pretty well. It is huge in the US of course but there are quite a few uk teams and competitions.

As an activity, I would say it is a good choice... it is physically demanding (similar to gymnastics) but with a team element to it.

Interested aside... 3 former US presidents were cheerleaders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Hull have cheerleaders but they're about 15 years old and there's normally only about 8 of them. It all seems a bit half-arsed and doesn't add anything to the game day atmosphere. 

Every small thing adds to the games atmosphere you just wouldn't notice until its gone

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A propos nothing in particular , I like watching Manly ...

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I don’t see why . If they want to do it , it’s more PR and outreach for the clubs . Probably do community stuff to in Oz so I don’t see the problem . Why stop people doing something without asking those involved . People will just be outraged and offended by something else 

I agree.   I just feel a bit awkward publicly admitting to liking pretty and athletic girls these days. I can't even admit it comfortably at home to be honest 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I agree.   I just feel a bit awkward publicly admitting to liking pretty and athletic girls these days. I can't even admit it comfortably at home to be honest 😁

Honesty is the best policy , well usually ... it didn’t work when I went out with someone and said ‘ you don’t sweat much for a fat lass ‘. Some folk just can’t take compliments 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Cheerleading as a pastime or activity is doing pretty well. It is huge in the US of course but there are quite a few uk teams and competitions.

As an activity, I would say it is a good choice... it is physically demanding (similar to gymnastics) but with a team element to it.

Interested aside... 3 former US presidents were cheerleaders.

I have a friend whos wife runs a cheerleading school in our town, her troop is really good apparently and have been to competitions in the Disney parks in France and the US. They have done some shows in our town and you can see how much they are enjoying it, and as you say its incredibly physically demanding. Though it has came up against the things I said, people who have absolutely nothing to do with it com-paining about it being exploitation and wanting it stopped, so basically taking away something from these kids that they absolutely love doing. Miserable sods.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidM said:

A propos nothing in particular , I like watching Manly ...

I thought Manly ladies team missed a trick not calling themselves Womanly...

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dkw said:

I have a friend whos wife runs a cheerleading school in our town, her troop is really good apparently and have been to competitions in the Disney parks in France and the US. They have done some shows in our town and you can see how much they are enjoying it, and as you say its incredibly physically demanding. Though it has came up against the things I said, people who have absolutely nothing to do with it com-paining about it being exploitation and wanting it stopped, so basically taking away something from these kids that they absolutely love doing. Miserable sods.

Is that a mixed group dkw or girls only?

In the US there is much less political/social pressure on cheerleading as groups are mixed and have been for many many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Every small thing adds to the games atmosphere you just wouldn't notice until its gone

Leeds disbanded theirs and as far as I can tell there was no impact on atmosphere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Cheerleading as a pastime or activity is doing pretty well. It is huge in the US of course but there are quite a few uk teams and competitions.

As an activity, I would say it is a good choice... it is physically demanding (similar to gymnastics) but with a team element to it.

Interested aside... 3 former US presidents were cheerleaders.

There could be some images there that are best left in the archives 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in this country the girls tend to 12 to 15 and are more than chearleaders being from a dance troupe they do it because they love to dance and i say fair play to them.

wigan's are sponsored by "berkeley square" the pub in wigan don't forget it's not just 12 girls dancing it's mums and dads and friends and a lot of training.

  • Like 1

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Hull have cheerleaders but they're about 15 years old and there's normally only about 8 of them. It all seems a bit half-arsed and doesn't add anything to the game day atmosphere. 

Completely agree. I don't see the point of them. They highlight the lack of effort we're putting into half time, rather than provide entertainment.

  • Like 1

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No matter what any club has their cheerleaders, and how ever they suitably wear or comport themselves, they will be far more appealing and attractive and disciplined than the shoeless, legless, brainless, semi-clothed bunch of scrag ends of the female persuasion one sees in a town centre on a Saturday midnight.

 

(so I'm told)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toronto did.

Competitive cheerleading in the States is now a sport in its own right. A dangerous one too, lots of injuries.

Search out the movie Bring It On (the first one with Kristen Dunst and Eliza Dushku). It's a personal guilty pleasure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Completely agree. I don't see the point of them. They highlight the lack of effort we're putting into half time, rather than provide entertainment.

Yep, halftime at the KCOM:

A few children cheerleading to the Charlie's Angels theme. 

Someone kicking a ball into the back of a hyundai. 

A lottery draw on a rubbish loudspeaker system that can't be understood or heard over the crowd noise. 

The thing that gets the biggest cheer is when someone makes a paper airplane and tosses it onto the field or a bloke trips on the steps with his pint. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be thankful there is a crowd to make a noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...