Cheerleaders

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

As unfathomably English it is to detest cheerleaders (to be fair, I don’t recall any English sports crowd needing a cheer leader per se, you are all far superior at making an atmosphere than Aussies), do you think it is at all possible that they add value/interest to a match day experience?

Dp any SL clubs have cheerleaders?

Several NRL clubs have got rid of cheerleaders so its hardly an unfathomably English thing.

Maybe the development of the Womens and Girls game over the past few years has hastened the demise of the traditional  'cheerleader -  and clubs are seeing past the idea that the female sexes contribution to the sport is the just the ability to prance around on the sidelines in a short skirt -  thank the lord ....

1 minute ago, Rach said:

Maybe the development of the Womens and Girls game over the past few years has hastened the demise of the traditional  'cheerleader -  and clubs are seeing past the idea that the female sexes contribution to the sport is more than the ability to prance around on the sidelines in a short skirt -  thank the lord ....

They can always go and get the beers during the game 😉

I recall seeing cheerleaders at a couple of Southend Invicta games. I remember feeling sorry for them; as the crowd was so low that during  half time with people going to toilets, changing ends or looking for a snack bar, there were more cheerleaders than watchers.

I have a granddaughter who just got 3 grade-a A levels. She's gone to Liverpool because "It's got a good dance scene". Her friend has done the same.

Blokes will never understand how important dancing is to teenage girls.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

17 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Is that a mixed group dkw or girls only?

In the US there is much less political/social pressure on cheerleading as groups are mixed and have been for many many years.

Its mixed gender and ages. 

20 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

As unfathomably English it is to detest cheerleaders (to be fair, I don’t recall any English sports crowd needing a cheer leader per se, you are all far superior at making an atmosphere than Aussies), do you think it is at all possible that they add value/interest to a match day experience?

Dp any SL clubs have cheerleaders?

Being back the Cowgirls... Always cheered me up.... I think these days they need at least one hunky guy in there for the laydeees.... I know her indoors would appreciate that when she comes to games

105122001441.jpg.gallery.jpg

10 hours ago, Rach said:

Maybe the development of the Womens and Girls game over the past few years has hastened the demise of the traditional  'cheerleader -  and clubs are seeing past the idea that the female sexes contribution to the sport is the just the ability to prance around on the sidelines in a short skirt -  thank the lord ....

Thats a good point, but it will still be a shame if some people arent allowed to do what they enjoy anymore and cheerlead at half time or whenever. Its not all about entertaining the crowd, its about allowing people to showcase their own talents, it brings in paying customers also who may want to watch their family member dance.

I think lumping the 'Cheerleading' into a single category is misleading.

As dkw has pointed out, the cheerleading troupes (mixed gender) that practice choreographed routines which are difficult to execute is a very credible pastime and indeed sport in its own right. Some of the moves are incredibly athletic and you can see the effort that goes into perfecting a routine.  If my daughter wanted to join such a troupe for fun and exercise I would be very happy.

And then you have the more glamorous cheerleading which is all female and usually recruited for looks... the NFL types.  Our sport initially tried to replicate the latter and what we ended up with in some circumstances was young girls emulating the NFL variety.  I am not trying to be a prude and if someone wants to join or support an all female cheerleading team then great but a bit like teen pageants, glamorizing young girls (14, 15, 16 etc) always feels a little off to me. 

If RL settled on the cheerleading troupes or dance troupes providing the entertainment then that would be great.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

If you have them ,they have to all be at least 19 years old and resemble the Miami Dolphins ones 😋

Its not my thing. A few years ago on a freezing cold day in February at fev, young lasses were out on the field in clothing I thought was inappropriate for their age and climate. It wasn't right (to me).

Adult cheerleaders do so with adult decision making capability. I was within a few metres of the cheerleaders in vancouver for a lions game. Most of them fancied me.... beating em off with a sh itty stick I was!

Some very interesting opinions. I see your point @Rach, but I don’t think cheerleaders necessarily prancing around is an exhibition of all a woman can add to our sport.

I do agree @dkw that the traditional cheerleader (adult, fit and skilful woman) is a lot different to a growing trend of a “troupe” as you put it. I think both could even work exclusive to and in partnership with each other on any single game day.

Understanding that Canberra dropped the cheerleaders recently and F1s decision to drop grid girls, it is interesting to hear people’s take on it. Understanding full well that a grid girl does not demonstrate her skillset the same way a cheerleader can, although I suspect the reasons for both being withdrawn are for the same reason. With that in mind, I feel like the cancellation of traditional cheerleaders is being done so for reasons that are not fair or related to their duty.

Now all that opinion comes from what many may consider a relic, because I don’t think grid girls should have been dropped either. I don’t understand why physical beauty is something that we are not allowed to celebrate and enjoy.

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Its not my thing. A few years ago on a freezing cold day in February at fev, young lasses were out on the field in clothing I thought was inappropriate for their age and climate. It wasn't right (to me).

Adult cheerleaders do so with adult decision making capability. I was within a few metres of the cheerleaders in vancouver for a lions game. Most of them fancied me.... beating em off with a sh itty stick I was!

Couldn’t agree more Robin. I find it uncomfortable and difficult to watch a group of prepubescent girls dancing in what to me are inappropriate costumes. In this day and age it doesn’t seem right.

Just now, Moose said:

Couldn’t agree more Robin. I find it uncomfortable and difficult to watch a group of prepubescent girls dancing in what to me are inappropriate costumes. In this day and age it doesn’t seem right.

Agreed. Sexualised attire for school aged children should not form any part of a sports match entertainment programme

23 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Is that a mixed group dkw or girls only?

In the US there is much less political/social pressure on cheerleading as groups are mixed and have been for many many years.

I remember Mork from Orc having a go.

17 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

No matter what any club has their cheerleaders, and how ever they suitably wear or comport themselves, they will be far more appealing and attractive and disciplined than the shoeless, legless, brainless, semi-clothed bunch of scrag ends of the female persuasion one sees in a town centre on a Saturday midnight.

(so I'm told)

Stop beating about the bush and tell it like you mean it.

The reality is that ONLY THE LONDON BRONCOS ever did it right with a professional dance troupe pretty much every other SL club did it on the cheap with a bunch of school girls which made it look cheap and embarrassing:)

If your going to have cheerleaders SPEND THE MONEY if not DONT BOTHER:)

Paul

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The reality is that ONLY THE LONDON BRONCOS ever did it right with a professional dance troupe pretty much every other SL club did it on the cheap with a bunch of school girls which made it look cheap and embarrassing:)

If your going to have cheerleaders SPEND THE MONEY if not DONT BOTHER:)

Paul

I happened to be in the directors lounge for a game at Brentford once and they were selling raffle tickets. Sure I bought more than usual 😂😂

it prob doesnt matter much to a 15 year old girl about what a potbellied old hull fan wants, they love dancing and want to be part of something, being on the pitch and doing a routine will mean as much to them as it does for kids playing a curtain raiser, more importantly they are part of the rl family, alienating these girls/boys their parents friends and family is just another load of pc rubbish 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

it prob doesnt matter much to a 15 year old girl about what a potbellied old hull fan wants, they love dancing and want to be part of something, being on the pitch and doing a routine will mean as much to them as it does for kids playing a curtain raiser, more importantly they are part of the rl family, alienating these girls/boys their parents friends and family is just another load of pc rubbish 

Agree. In addition, they can be a way of bringing g youngsters to the game, as you say, friends and family. Need more than a few, though, to make a decent professional image. 

Archived