Pilot 1000 Fans Plan Shelved

Scubby

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Disappointing but expected. This is going to hit hard over the next 2-3 months. I wonder if clubs had budgeted for fans late in the season?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54246745

Just been reading that and listened to Rimmer on 5Live - he emphasised that whilst it goes without saying this will have potentially dire consequences for clubs, his biggest worry is actually the lasting legacy it has at grassroots level and urges the government to consider another financial package. 

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Just been reading that and listened to Rimmer on 5Live - he emphasised that whilst it goes without saying this will have potentially dire consequences for clubs, his biggest worry is actually the lasting legacy it has at grassroots level and urges the government to consider another financial package. 

I think the cupboard might be bare as far as the government is concerned.

26 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Agreed. Is a huge worry that this pilot was with a view to larger crowds returning by November - now very much looks like there's an acceptance no crowds will be back before next season.

This was always a possible, even likely, scenario, yet some sports figures are acting like it's come from out of nowhere. 

Lots of clubs have signed players to new contracts as if they knew for certain we were going back to normal. This was a mistake. 

Existing contracts you can't get out of, but there should have been a league wide moratorium on new contracts, or a COVID get-out clause inserted. 

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

This was always a possible, even likely, scenario, yet some sports figures are acting like it's come from out of nowhere. 

Lots of clubs have signed players to new contracts as of if they knew for certain we were going back to normal, this was a mistake. 

Existing contracts you can't get out of, but there should have been a league wide moratorium on new contracts, or a COVID get out clause inserted. 

When this was first announced, I thought it was someone saying "here's our best case scenario if the virus keeps going away" rather than "here's a realistic plan". You really would have had to be blind to not have seen this coming given the COVID coverage of the last few weeks.

I do feel really sorry for the clubs, and the future for many is decidely uncertain in a sport that's never been flush with cash, but the extra expenditure surely has to be seen as naive business working.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

As a reminder, political commentary that's nothing to do with rugby is on the wrong thread and will be just deleted from this point on; I'm not going to move it, just delete it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Having had plans for fans to return from October 1, surely the government has to compensate clubs  - of all sport, not just rugby league - for lost revenue?

Huh?  How supid is that?  Oh, and by the way, its not the "governments" money, it's mine.

I see predictably the rich football clubs are moaning.  Well, let rich multi millionaire footballers take a cut and take the strain.

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

Huh?  How supid is that?  Oh, and by the way, its not the "governments" money, it's mine.

I see predictably the rich football clubs are moaning.  Well, let rich multi millionaire footballers take a cut and take the strain.

Most sports already did this. The premier league largely didn't becasue they have bigger cash buffers, but this time round they'll have to. 

But the PL will always survive because TV revenue is such a large part of their income, and this will be maintained. 

What rugby league should focus on in my opinion is working with government on a plan to let, say, 3000 people into a stadium by next spring.

This would underpin most clubs below SL, while the SL clubs have a TV revenue buffer and will have to adjust wages to reflect lower gate takings. The Championship and L1 can wait till April to start if needs be. 

If not October then when? This is my worry now. Because we have to assume that if we move to greater restrictions now - at the start of the Autumn - that we're looking at having disruption well past Christmas. And if that's the case then any new test events for elite sport wouldn't begin until well after the festive period.

I'd say fans in attendance for the start of 2021's season is very much under threat.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The Championship and L1 can wait till April to start if needs be. 

Rimmer and the RFL have to move the definition for at least League 1 in my opinion so that it comes under grassroots and could have small, socially distanced crowds. Otherwise I don't see how those clubs have a future.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Rimmer and the RFL have to move the definition for at least League 1 in my opinion so that it comes under grassroots and could have small, socially distanced crowds. Otherwise I don't see how those clubs have a future.

Absolutely, plenty of L1 clubs could operate (and do) on crowds we've seen return to non league football.

I think that it could be the middle ranking clubs that will be in the most trouble. The leading clubs and the few others that have owners with deep pockets obviously will be OK plus little clubs like the Crusaders that basically just have play for play and rent their match day venues on a game by game basis.

This puts an end to any hopes for a crowd at the Cup final too I would assume. Will it still take place at an empty Wembley or be played at somewhere like Huddersfield instead?

Some of the SL clubs will be under even further financial stress now as they look likely have to play out the rest of the season without crowd income. The midweek games were all put at the back end of the season with the aim of providing a greater number of games with crowds than without so even revised budgets will be hit further. Hopefully the Championship and League 1 seasons having not continued will protect those clubs from further impact.

9 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Most sports already did this. The premier league largely didn't becasue they have bigger cash buffers, but this time round they'll have to. 

But the PL will always survive because TV revenue is such a large part of their income, and this will be maintained. 

What rugby league should focus on in my opinion is working with government on a plan to let, say, 3000 people into a stadium by next spring.

This would underpin most clubs below SL, while the SL clubs have a TV revenue buffer and will have to adjust wages to reflect lower gate takings. The Championship and L1 can wait till April to start if needs be. 

I live out of the region and I am seriously thinking of getting a season ticket for next season even though I'm not likely to go to see a game. The money not spent on a holiday could help the club.   This year I am imagining that fans/ season ticket holders will not ask for money back.

But yes, just 1000 will eventually  help L1 a lot.

Are we really saying that RL clubs at ALL levels were blind too the possibility that firm restart plans might have to be revised if there was a resurgence of infection, hospitalisation and deaths? I know it's tough, but life at present is tough. Just hit the STOP button and prepare for next season. 

Easier said than done if course but sometimes there is just no easy answer. 

Just now, JohnM said:

Are we really saying that RL clubs at ALL levels were blind too the possibility that firm restart plans might have to be revised if there was a resurgence of infection, hospitalisation and deaths? I know it's tough, but life at present is tough. Just hit the STOP button and prepare for next season. 

Its not just RL clubs, every sport currently up and running was with the proviso of crowds in some form in October, hence all the test events through September.

They simply can't afford to "STOP", as that means sky money drying up and even more dire consequences such as no "next season" to prepare for.

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I'm not sure how that stops financial hardship though John? Playing games at least keeps commercial and media income coming in. We still have the wages that need paying and furlough ends soon unless that changes. 

Reading some posts leads to thinking that no club thought... "But what if..." 

I'm not a club owner.. Just Honorary Treasurer of a live music venue that has had no real income from March and is planning to reopen early November if the rules, committee and members agree.

True we've had a significant govt grant to tide us over and to make reopening preparations, but that is treated as contingency. 

All this whilst one hand hovering over the STOP button.

39 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If not October then when? This is my worry now. Because we have to assume that if we move to greater restrictions now - at the start of the Autumn - that we're looking at having disruption well past Christmas. And if that's the case then any new test events for elite sport wouldn't begin until well after the festive period.

I'd say fans in attendance for the start of 2021's season is very much under threat.

Sadly I think you are right which is why I am 100% certain that the RLWC 2021 will be put back a year (Thats what I am hearing) P 

Archived