Pilot 1000 Fans Plan Shelved

Scubby

Just now, JohnM said:

Reading some posts leads to thinking that no club thought... "But what if..." 

I'm not a club owner.. Just Honorary Treasurer of a live music venue that has had no real income from March and is planning to reopen early November if the rules, committee and members agree.

True we've had a significant govt grant to tide us over and to make reopening preparations, but that is treated as contingency. 

All this whilst one hand hovering over the STOP button.

It isn't that we all think that clubs assumed that all would definitely be well and back to normal crowd-wise from October onward, of course the assumption has to be that contingency plans were drawn up for various scenarios. However there are obvious signs that the sport had geared up for the return of crowds in October as was proposed by the government as lock-down began. The Cup semi-finals and final both of which already had seen tickets sold for them were scheduled in October, the midweek games rather than being spread through the season to reduce burnout were stacked in the last two months to give a greater chance of a greater number of fan-attended fixtures, the negotiating over player wage cuts (or at least what was reported of it) included references to set periods for wage cuts to coincide with expectation of crowds returning or to 'when crowds come back and income returns to normal'. Clubs did expect at least limited crowds to return at some stage this season and so will have revised their budgets to account for that. Just because they will have contingencies doesn't mean the clubs will have been totally protected from a change in circumstances from those that were initially forecast.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If not October then when?

Everything is pointing to current restrictions lasting for the next 6 months (at least) which takes us to around April of next year.

I think now is the time for the sport to be proactive rather than - as has been the case up to now - reactive. If it can be agreed that crowds are highly unlikely until next Easter than plans can be laid accordingly. It's constant dithering and indecision (not entirely the fault of our leadership) that's killing us!

Obviously we need to finish the season off for SL for the sake of the Sky money - but let's not be hearing anymore daft talk about starting the 2021 season on Boxing Day. Or Super League in the depths of January. We need a strategic plan for the 2021 season that works with the reality of what we have to deal with - most likely a season running from Easter to November with the World Cup bumped to 2022.

10 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Everything is pointing to current restrictions lasting for the next 6 months (at least) which takes us to around April of next year.

I think now is the time for the sport to be proactive rather than - as has been the case up to now - reactive. If it can be agreed that crowds are highly unlikely until next Easter than plans can be laid accordingly. It's constant dithering and indecision (not entirely the fault of our leadership) that's killing us!

Obviously we need to finish the season off for SL for the sake of the Sky money - but let's not be hearing anymore daft talk about starting the 2021 season on Boxing Day. Or Super League in the depths of January. We need a strategic plan for the 2021 season that works with the reality of what we have to deal with - most likely a season running from Easter to November with the World Cup bumped to 2022.

I must admit, I disagree with this. We aren't dithering, we are working with an ever changing situation and we are showing flexibility required. 

Ultimately we want to stage as many games (versus normality) with as many fans as possible next year. To do that it is literally impossible to lay out the season now. 

We basically need a range of scenarios, which I suspect we have. Being flexible and keeping options open is not dithering. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I must admit, I disagree with this. We aren't dithering, we are working with an ever changing situation and we are showing flexibility required. 

Ultimately we want to stage as many games (versus normality) with as many fans as possible next year. To do that it is literally impossible to lay out the season now. 

We basically need a range of scenarios, which I suspect we have. Being flexible and keeping options open is not dithering. 

OK I'll admit that the dithering comment was Championship-centric with the whole endless discussion about the season starting up and the Autumn competition fiasco.

I agree that we need a range of scenarios - but we also need a healthy dose of realism. It seems obvious that we are being softened up for more and more restrictions and 'lockdowns' (of sorts) in coming months. Winter is going to be tough on many levels, so I really don't see any value in raising people's hopes that we are going to be having crowds soon - I honestly think it's going to be many many months yet.

1 hour ago, wiganermike said:

This puts an end to any hopes for a crowd at the Cup final too I would assume. Will it still take place at an empty Wembley or be played at somewhere like Huddersfield instead?

Some of the SL clubs will be under even further financial stress now as they look likely have to play out the rest of the season without crowd income. The midweek games were all put at the back end of the season with the aim of providing a greater number of games with crowds than without so even revised budgets will be hit further. Hopefully the Championship and League 1 seasons having not continued will protect those clubs from further impact.

https://twitter.com/TheChallengeCup/status/1308345295034433538?s=20

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

How many plans can we make with any assurity until a working vaccine is formulated and available, yes we can do 'what if' scenarios but with the emphasis on any plans have to be shelved to avoid disappointment.

26 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I wouldn’t bump the World Cup, it would be better to have a shorter SL season but still have the World Cup, it could be the shot in the arm that the game needs by then. 

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Must be the local ones from today then

This was one of the things they were trying to explain on the radio this morning but as I was swearing a white van ahead of me I didn't quite catch it.

The national rules are from Thursday (probably) but others will come as soon as necessary if they are localised.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don’t think this will have a massive impact on 2020 season finances? Most if not all of the fans allowed in would be ST holders, most of whom have donated their money to the clubs anyway. 

Corporate

Drink Sales

Food Sales

Merchandise Sales

Programme Sales

Away Fans tickets

Casual Fans Tickets

Lottery Tickets

All revenue streams that are vital for a clubs income have gone, it will have had a massive impact on this season's finances.

If crowds are limited to 1,000 per game then all seats will be taken by season ticket holders, therefore no revenue will be lost if they aren' allowed in. A point already made. What's more the clubs will have the match day costs to cover.  Assuming attendances were allowed to rise only gradually most clubs will not benefit financially from the resumption of fans attending games, and may even lose out. The bigger issue is surely next season. Formulating plans with such a high level of uncertainty is a nightmare. Never mind Plan B we'll need C, D, E and perhaps a few more.

E-mail I just got regarding the CC final states the following:

The RFL is continuing discussions with Government and the relevant stadium and local authorities about the possibility of spectators attending the Cup Final. Once we have a decision we will contact you to confirm your options for your Cup Final tickets.

Dreaming in technicolor, surely there's no chance we're going to send fans who overwhelmingly live in the worst affected areas on buses and trains to London.

11 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Corporate

Drink Sales

Food Sales

Merchandise Sales

Programme Sales

Away Fans tickets

Casual Fans Tickets

Lottery Tickets

All revenue streams that are vital for a clubs income have gone, it will have had a massive impact on this season's finances.

Under the 1000 fans rule there would be no corporate, away fans or casual fans. Plus stewarding and other covid-safety costs would be huge and probably bigger than what would be brought in by food and drink sales. 

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Under the 1000 fans rule there would be no corporate, away fans or casual fans. Plus stewarding and other covid-safety costs would be huge and probably bigger than what would be brought in by food and drink sales. 

The 1000 fans were pilot events aimed at proving Covid safeness at the venue. Cambridges second game and Brighton v Chelsea preseason had more to see if %of capacity was a viable way to advance.

Archived