Pilot 1000 Fans Plan Shelved

Scubby

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Under the 1000 fans rule there would be no corporate, away fans or casual fans. Plus stewarding and other covid-safety costs would be huge and probably bigger than what would be brought in by food and drink sales. 

That wasn't what I was responding to though, the 1,000 fans was simply a pilot scheme to make sure they could run in a safe way, they were never meant to be revenue making.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I doubt any of the clubs really thought there would be crowds before the end of this season though, or factored them into their budgets. 

I would imagine any business would run different budgets/plans based on different scenarios, the fact they backloaded the fixture list would suggest they were expecting fans to return.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

That wasn't what I was responding to though, the 1,000 fans was simply a pilot scheme to make sure they could run in a safe way, they were never meant to be revenue making.

No responsible accountant would have factored normal crowds returning into any club’s budget for the 2020 season. 

RFL still not pulling the plug on the Challenge Cup Final, I have this in my inbox

Hi RR, we hope that you and your family are safe and well.

We would please like to inform you that the 2020 Coral Challenge Cup Final has today been confirmed as taking place at Wembley Stadium connected by EE on Saturday 17 October.

The RFL is continuing discussions with Government and the relevant stadium and local authorities about the possibility of spectators attending the Cup Final. Once we have a decision we will contact you to confirm your options for your Cup Final tickets.

Thank you for your continued patience and we will be in touch as soon as possible.

Regards,
The RFL

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

12 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I would imagine any business would run different budgets/plans based on different scenarios, the fact they backloaded the fixture list would suggest they were expecting fans to return.

Hopeful that they’d return I should think, not expecting. Budgeting for them to come back with no mitigation against it not happening would be deeply irresponsible, I can’t imagine any club would have done that. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Hopeful that they’d return I should think, not expecting. Budgeting for them to come back with no mitigation against it not happening would be deeply irresponsible, I can’t imagine any club would have done that. 

Irresponsible or not that won't stop some clubs being in the because of the lack of fans attending games.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I don’t think this will have a massive impact on 2020 season finances? Most if not all of the fans allowed in would be ST holders, most of whom have donated their money to the clubs anyway. 

Has this been confirmed by all clubs? 
Leeds I think said 80% of fans had either donated the money to the club or opted for it to be discounted of future season tickets, but they didn’t give the figure for fans that had donated. If fans are getting 2021 season tickets discounted this will still hit clubs financially, the longer fans are away from grounds the tougher it will be for clubs. 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

It’s great that it’s at Wembley but is it worth the outlay? We don’t know what the future holds for the sport - can’t help think the money would be better spent a bit further down the food chain

I expect the RFL will already have a contract to play it there, they won’t just be able to say no thanks and move it somewhere cheaper. Even the league two play off final was held there for example, they might as well have played it in a park if they’d have saved money by doing so. 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I expect the RFL will already have a contract to play it there, they won’t just be able to say no thanks and move it somewhere cheaper. Even the league two play off final was held there for example, they might as well have played it in a park if they’d have saved money by doing so. 

The FA have plenty of cash on hand. The RFL had to get money off the Government. So hardly a like for like comparison. I’d be interested if it was a contractual obligation, and if so how there couldn’t be wiggle room given the current circumstances. Given the already postponed games so far this season it’s a possibility the Final won’t take place on when he date as planned. What safeguards are in place for this six figure outlay?

This is the email I got from the RFL in July, 2nd paragraph says Wembley was provisionally booked, which to me reads that they could have pulled out so it may not be costing them much if they've decided to go ahead with it at Wembley

We hope that you and your family are safe and well. We would like to inform you that the 2020 Coral Challenge Cup Final has been rescheduled for Saturday 17 October.

The venue for this year’s Coral Challenge Cup Final is still to be confirmed. However, Wembley Stadium is provisionally booked and once we know whether fans will be allowed to attend the event, we will make a decision on the venue for this year’s Cup Final.

Your ticket(s) will still be valid for this year’s Cup Final. Once we have the venue and fan access confirmed, should you not be able to attend the new date, you will have the following options:

• Receive a credit note for the full amount paid, including booking fees, to be used for any other 2020 or 2021 RFL Ticketing event or the Rugby League World Cup
• Receive a full refund of the ticket price that you paid

Should fans not be permitted to attend this year’s Final, you will also have the option to transfer your 2020 ticket(s) to the 2021 Challenge Cup Final.

We will contact you again once we have the venue and fan access confirmed for this year’s Final. At that stage you will be able to take advantage of the above options. Given the unprecedented current circumstances, we please ask for your patience and we will be in touch as soon as possible.

Regards,
The RFL

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

16 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The FA have plenty of cash on hand. The RFL had to get money off the Government. So hardly a like for like comparison. I’d be interested if it was a contractual obligation, and if so how there couldn’t be wiggle room given the current circumstances. Given the already postponed games so far this season it’s a possibility the Final won’t take place on when he date as planned. What safeguards are in place for this six figure outlay?

Has any of that £16m actually been spent? 

I know the FA have a few quid but the certainly don’t waste it on League two football, which is largely as impoverished as rugby league. It’s all about the premier league and championship. 

Anyway yes agreed I hope there is some wriggle room, although it would still be great to see it at Wembley as the showpiece game, an empty Wembley would carry much more kudos than an empty Bolton stadium (or whichever of the dull identikit northern football grounds they chose).

31 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I know the FA have a few quid but the certainly don’t waste it on League two football, which is largely as impoverished as rugby league. It’s all about the premier league and championship. 

Anyway yes agreed I hope there is some wriggle room, although it would still be great to see it at Wembley as the showpiece game, an empty Wembley would carry much more kudos than an empty Bolton stadium (or whichever of the dull identikit northern football grounds they chose).

At least 2 clubs (Cas and HKR) have stated that there were looking to apply for some of the loan, Whether they have or how far their application has got I've no idea. 

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I'm sure if you have a quick look you'll find references to it being spent by clubs yes.

It’s desperately sad that crowds won’t return in any form for a while longer. I accepted I wouldn’t get to a live game in 2020 a while ago now but I hoped some people would and we could hopefully start 2021 with crowds of some form in attendance. I still hope for that, but I find it more unlikely. 

I also feel for clubs. There’s been a lot of sacrifices for the game and for its clubs and players to get Super League resumed. Some things have gone well, others less so but it’s about a bigger picture but now, I just feel like the strain on clubs for longer is just going to have such an affect on some. 

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Has this been confirmed by all clubs? 
Leeds I think said 80% of fans had either donated the money to the club or opted for it to be discounted of future season tickets, but they didn’t give the figure for fans that had donated. If fans are getting 2021 season tickets discounted this will still hit clubs financially, the longer fans are away from grounds the tougher it will be for clubs. 

Yep, hopefully cash flow will have been helped with the donation or discounted and that other clubs have had similar response. 

My understanding is that Leeds corporate season holders for hospitality have in the main donated the monies for this season. All-be-it based on hear-say.

No doubt it's going to be tough for RL and all sport and a reset button may have to be applied to some professional sports. Even if that means semi-pro for some given the impact across society and other business key is to keep the sport alive however the cloth is cut in the short term.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

It’s great that it’s at Wembley but is it worth the outlay? We don’t know what the future holds for the sport - can’t help think the money would be better spent a bit further down the food chain

🕵️‍♂️

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived