Pilot 1000 Fans Plan Shelved

Scubby

6 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Everything is pointing to current restrictions lasting for the next 6 months (at least) which takes us to around April of next year.

I think now is the time for the sport to be proactive rather than - as has been the case up to now - reactive. If it can be agreed that crowds are highly unlikely until next Easter than plans can be laid accordingly. It's constant dithering and indecision (not entirely the fault of our leadership) that's killing us!

Obviously we need to finish the season off for SL for the sake of the Sky money - but let's not be hearing anymore daft talk about starting the 2021 season on Boxing Day. Or Super League in the depths of January. We need a strategic plan for the 2021 season that works with the reality of what we have to deal with - most likely a season running from Easter to November with the World Cup bumped to 2022.

I was pointing this out on here ages ago and suggestion was covered with cold water. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Having had plans for fans to return from October 1, surely the government has to compensate clubs  - of all sport, not just rugby league - for lost revenue?

The clubs didnt have to play and could have furloughed players for the season

But they didnt

37 minutes ago, yipyee said:

The clubs didnt have to play and could have furloughed players for the season

But they didnt

That's false considering the furlough scheme only goes on till October, was only worth up to 25k equivalent wages anyway and has been reduced in value since July/August. Then of course there is the sky contract which has kept the other money flowing in but wouldn't indefinitely.

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Reading some posts leads to thinking that no club thought... "But what if..." 

I'm not a club owner.. Just Honorary Treasurer of a live music venue that has had no real income from March and is planning to reopen early November if the rules, committee and members agree.

True we've had a significant govt grant to tide us over and to make reopening preparations, but that is treated as contingency. 

All this whilst one hand hovering over the STOP button.

Does this music venue have a TV contract which subsidises its operation to the point that without that funding it will be as dead as the proverbial dodo.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Or now 2021 - the latest lockdown could be in force as late as mid-April and our season will provisionally start in February.

February is a stupid time to start any way.  We need a longer pre season and fewer games.

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If those are the quality of questions from BBC Leeds, then I am glad I get my slim ration of BBC News from South Today... which itself is challenging to say the least.

I'm sure Headingly is safe and well run, the issue is the movement of people congregating to it and leaving it, and potentially picking up the virus in the process.

15 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

February is a stupid time to start any way.  We need a longer pre season and fewer games.

Agreed, but would Sky money go down if there were fewer games for them to show? I guess that is the crux of it as far as the SL clubs are concerned. 

32 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agreed, but would Sky money go down if there were fewer games for them to show? I guess that is the crux of it as far as the SL clubs are concerned. 

I'm surprised SKY don't repeat NRL games later at a sensible time.  I think SKY show 3 live games a week... (?). So dropping all 6 rounds rounds loop fixtures would lose 18 games.  Adding in an extra magic weekend would give 6 back.  So losing 12.  So on the one hand, 28 rounds at 3 tv fixtures and 6 magic ones =   90 SKY fixtures.  Or 22 rounds with 2 magic = 78. 

Is that a big loss for SKY... can 12 more tv fixtures or spots  be fitted in?   Is there not a reason why SKY cannot show more live games a week any way?  Surely an extra week can be added into the pre season somehow?

Off this topic, I see  that Spurs Leyton Orient has been cancelled, because LO players have the virus.  So we are all in the same boat.

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Not yet. 

So it's no big deal then.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

If those are the quality of questions from BBC Leeds, then I am glad I get my slim ration of BBC News from South Today... which itself is challenging in itself to say the least

Tell me about it - it’s the most bonkers BBC news area in the country. Living in Oxfordshire, the whole thing’s run out of Southampton and it goes as far west as Dorchester....

“we go live to the Abbotsbury swannery”

population of Oxfordshire “that’s 140 miles away”

BBC south today “ shut up and watch your local news”

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

If those are the quality of questions from BBC Leeds, then I am glad I get my slim ration of BBC News from South Today... which itself is challenging to say the least.

I'm sure Headingly is safe and well run, the issue is the movement of people congregating to it and leaving it, and potentially picking up the virus in the process.

I saw him on Look North. 

He didn't say anything informative. He seemed to be bemoaning the fact no one was able to provide a fixed time limit on when the virus will end. 

1 hour ago, Padge said:

So it's no big deal then.

It's all a matter of scale. No big deal compared with Warriors, but a big deal to our members. All organisations, large and small would I am sure, just like our modest club, have contingency plans in place as well as appealing for and in certain cases getting financial and other help. 

5 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Or now 2021 - the latest lockdown could be in force as late as mid-April and our season will provisionally start in February.

If as looks likely this goes on for say 5/6 months surely the best plan would be to start the season a little later and because of the 6 month delay push the World Cup to 2022,clearly there's plans a foot to do so if needed.

14 hours ago, Scubby said:

Disappointing but expected. This is going to hit hard over the next 2-3 months. I wonder if clubs had budgeted for fans late in the season?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54246745

Any club that had budgeted for having fans in the ground this year as anything other than a bonus was being foolish. 

Plan for the worst and hope for the best has to be the mindset for the foreseeable future.

The government say these measures will last for 6 months.Going on the last 6 months performance,these measures could change 5 0r 6 times in the next few months.

The trouble is nobody can predict anything with any certainty.Unfortunately we are going to have to adapt to situations month by month,or even week by week.

On the subject of being innovative and all things like that, it's worth, if you can, digging out the interview with the Leyton Orient chairman that was on Five Live last night. He was on in response to his team's match being called off thanks to positive covid tests. As the match was going to be on the TV that's £150,000 his club now isn't going to have and so he was talking about what they are doing to generate income.

He listed a lot of the things that are mentioned regularly on here. Paid-for streaming, partnerships, community activities, other commercial streams away from matchday ticket income. All very positive which means they will only lose £1.5m if they play a full season with no fans in the stands.

Shouting "be innovative" will fix nothing. At best, it will reduce the losses a small amount. Without fans in the stands the 2021 season shouldn't even start.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

On the subject of being innovative and all things like that, it's worth, if you can, digging out the interview with the Leyton Orient chairman that was on Five Live last night. He was on in response to his team's match being called off thanks to positive covid tests. As the match was going to be on the TV that's £150,000 his club now isn't going to have and so he was talking about what they are doing to generate income.

He listed a lot of the things that are mentioned regularly on here. Paid-for streaming, partnerships, community activities, other commercial streams away from matchday ticket income. All very positive which means they will only lose £1.5m if they play a full season with no fans in the stands.

Shouting "be innovative" will fix nothing. At best, it will reduce the losses a small amount. Without fans in the stands the 2021 season shouldn't even start.

I believe he also said that next time they wouldn't bother testing (as it's not mandatory for EFL clubs).

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I believe he also said that next time they wouldn't bother testing (as it's not mandatory for EFL clubs).

I think what he said was that it was right that they tested (the tests were paid for by Spurs) and right that the match was called off but drew attention to the fact that they might now be punished for doing the right thing whereas other clubs had declined tests and so therefore couldn't have any positives ...

... which does show the issue of having two completely different testing regimes and requirements in place in a single competition.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think what he said was that it was right that they tested (the tests were paid for by Spurs) and right that the match was called off but drew attention to the fact that they might now be punished for doing the right thing whereas other clubs had declined tests and so therefore couldn't have any positives ...

... which does show the issue of having two completely different testing regimes and requirements in place in a single competition.

Just found this on BBC

If I was doing this again I would not do the testing," Orient chairman Mark Travis told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"This is an incentive not to test and that is bad for football and bad for health and safety."

Archived