What now?

RogerT

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the moment there will be no real crisis. Come November if there is no furlough extension then things may become very tight.

For clubs like Batley and Dewsbury who own their own grounds the situation is even more difficult. The "renters" won't have the same immediate issues.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

22 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

For the moment there will be no real crisis. Come November if there is no furlough extension then things may become very tight.

For clubs like Batley and Dewsbury who own their own grounds the situation is even more difficult. The "renters" won't have the same immediate issues.

Until the renter's get a whopping increase in rent charges from the landlords trying to recoup monies lost thru no games been played.. Their sticky situation will come later. 

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

It sounds as if the Chancellor is not looking at extending furlough but at other possible help for chosen sectors.

Why do you say that clubs that own their own grounds are in a more difficult situation BSJ?  I don't doubt you,  just curious as to the reason. Something to do with local taxes?  I believe that Batley pay a peppercorn rent but presumably own the fixtures and fittings.  

2 hours ago, Bi11 said:

It sounds as if the Chancellor is not looking at extending furlough but at other possible help for chosen sectors.

Why do you say that clubs that own their own grounds are in a more difficult situation BSJ?  I don't doubt you,  just curious as to the reason. Something to do with local taxes?  I believe that Batley pay a peppercorn rent but presumably own the fixtures and fittings.  

Owning a ground costs a lot of money in terms of rates, power, maintenance, insurance, VAT etc Bi11; not a penny of this is covered by the furlough payments. In addition the underlying budgets will have been calculated on the basis of generating income other than through the turnstiles.

The renters simply pay on a match by match basis, making separate arrangements for training facilities etc. I do hear of a couple of clubs where they may even have made a profit out of the shutdown plus furlough, having zero fixed costs and all of their variables met by the taxpayer. Just look at the recent recruitment patterns to get an idea of those.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Dewsbury will be OK with all the rent money they get off Bradford  

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

10 hours ago, ernieone said:

At least  the Heavy Woolen clubs have not spent much on recruiting compared to other Championship clubs.

And let’s hope that continues,some fans,mainly from other clubs say it’s lack of ambition I say it’s been sensible. Chairmen throwing money about doesn’t guarantee anything and how long before they say enough’s enough.

5 hours ago, graham fisher said:

And let’s hope that continues,some fans,mainly from other clubs say it’s lack of ambition I say it’s been sensible. Chairmen throwing money about doesn’t guarantee anything and how long before they say enough’s enough.

Aye, and you have to look at where those chairmen's money comes from in the first instance. They could be having some short-term cashflow problems of their own within their main business, never mind RL. That is one (only one mind) reason why Toronto collapsed - their billionaire backer ran out of cash.

There will now be no Sundecks re-areangement, no Boxing Day game, no training for a POSSIBLE March release, so no start to 2021 season. Can't see how owning will be worse tgan renting though, surely ALL charges paid by owners will be factored into rent? Fact though is that squads built up for 2021 will be as much use as those for 2020.

1 hour ago, fredm said:

I wonder if the contracts signed by the players contain a clause stating no payments will be made until the season actually starts as opposed to the normal commencement date for contracts?

1 hour ago, RogerT said:

That's one question only the owners can answer.

Only if it's on the RFL's approved clause list, or permission has been given to include it.......

2 hours ago, phildog said:

There will now be no Sundecks re-areangement, no Boxing Day game, no training for a POSSIBLE March release, so no start to 2021 season. Can't see how owning will be worse tgan renting though, surely ALL charges paid by owners will be factored into rent? Fact though is that squads built up for 2021 will be as much use as those for 2020.

You don't pay rent until you play though Phil. Rates, insurance, power, maintenance is an ongoing cost. In addition rental charges will be according to the agreed contract. I am sure that there might be some leeway just like the price of a pint increased when the pubs opened.

1 hour ago, fredm said:

I wonder if the contracts signed by the players contain a clause stating no payments will be made until the season actually starts as opposed to the normal commencement date for contracts?

I would imagine that some part of the payment would kick in when they start training again. No doubt contracts will have been structured quite carefully this year though.

1 hour ago, Batley Bob said:

Well you still have the money from your car boot and 4G pitches 

Car boot hasn't run for 8 weeks because of restrictions. 4G pitches are not so popular in summer (light nights) but may come on stream properly soon. Given that they are due their three-year maintenance shortly they will not even be break even for some time.

All other income streams are currently moribund. Tough times all round.

2 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

Well bsj , those are 3 income streams that we don't have normally , so you should be fine 

I do hope that you are correct BB but I still maintain that clubs owning their own grounds are, currently, more vulnerable.

Archived