How to Improve the game

Thinking of ways to improve the game ,

1/ If the ball goes forward out of the hands its forward.

2/ Play the ball correctly at all times.

3/ Properly contested scrums at all times if re intraduced ( this takes six people out off play creating more space in field of play.)

4/ Corner flag is in touch.

5/ Re introduce the 5meter rule from 10 meters,this will encourage skillful play in both attack and defence creating more excitment and off the cuff rugby plus more importantly give the defending side more time to block the boring and repetative last tackle kick to the corner and encourage more open play.

Any other ideas to improve the game?

PS when did it become law to have to markers at the play the ball as watching a game over the wekend the ref would not allow play to continue until there was 2 markers?

The NRL is trying some new rules for games which don't matter at the end of the year. I like the idea of nominated forwards only in scrums, but I don't think any of the ideas will have a huge impact. 

Looking forward, I do wonder if for entertainment's sake we have to consider truly radical rule changes. 

Andrew Johns is pushing for a reduction in players, to 12 and eventually 11.  I know that will upset some, but I think the hope is that we would see more space and the potential for more expansive play.  Watching old games, whilst some defence is laughable, some of the attacking play is just exciting and IMO we really need to work out how we can go back to a game where a Martin Offiah could score tries from all over the field, especially long distance. 

One thing I'd seriously look at to speed the game up is no more than two players in the tackle. Maybe allow any number within 10m of the tryline, but elsewhere it adds nothing.  If an attacking runner can beat two tacklers that's their fault. Maybe it would bring back players tackling low to knock players down rather than tacklers trying to wrestle endlessly. 

Probably not the best ideas, but I think we need to be more radical than just tinkering with things if we want the game to really kick on.

I really don't understand the obsession with speeding the game up. And I feel the same with reducing the number of players on the pitch.

If we had 11 aside we would end up with scores like 66 vs. 48 over 80 minutes every week. I would have no interest in seeing that. In Rugby League you earn the right to score a try and they should be premium. The likes of Offiah and Hanley were so good because they could score against 13... not bagging 5 tries every game against 11 men.

If you want a try fest watch 7's or 9's. If you want teams to earn a win then watch 13 aside. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I have no idea if the 5 metre rule will have that effect , but I’m all for more off the cuff and diverse attack . Way to often I have felt  like I’m watching the same set of six over n over again with the same plays , or virtually no plays until we set up for a kick . This year has been better , I hope that continues . For some time I’ve seen how the NRL is built on defence but thought attack lagged way behind 

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I really don't understand the obsession with speeding the game up. And I feel the same with reducing the number of players on the pitch.

If we had 11 aside we would end up with scores like 66 vs. 48 over 80 minutes every week. I would have no interest in seeing that. In Rugby League you earn the right to score a try and they should be premium. The likes of Offiah and Hanley were so good because they could score against 13... not bagging 5 tries every game against 11 men.

If you want a try fest watch 7's or 9's. If you want teams to earn a win then watch 13 aside. 

Not talking about speeding the game up,you mention hanley and offiah who made their name pre super league when the 5 yard rule was in place,allowing more time for skilful play,nowadays its five drives and a kick to the corner.

As an aside I know its like chalk and cheese pre superleague and superleage but I would like to see the full time players of today playing to the pre super rules.

35 minutes ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

One thing I'd seriously look at to speed the game up is no more than two players in the tackle.

How quick do we want the game to be ? The ruck disintegrated in this quest for the whirlwind game . The game is a fast moving sport and getting faster , even more with rule changes , I  don’t think there’s any need to artificially speed it up even more . There’s issues to be sorted but they don’t all revolve around the pace of the game . I get bemused at times with coaches complaining how the play the balls in a game were a fraction of a second slower and the ref was at fault . Can’t say it really has a noticeable affect to me , I’ll judge a game by the general quality and flow 

The game is too fast.

There is no need for 12 players but it's plausible.  The best thing is to reduce replacements and interchanges.  The 10m line is too far and should be cut back.  There is no magic number for 5 or 10 however.

If we want to encourage the Americans, let them play 11 or 12 a side in a narrower gridiron pitch.

We should have as many in the tackle but limit the ruck to 2.  It should be up to the ref to manage the ruck and call a penalty, no '6 agains', and give 10 mins in the bin more often. No flops no walking off the mark.  Revert to the tackler being able to play to himself as well.

3 hours ago, bobbies dad said:

3/ Properly contested scrums at all times if re intraduced ( this takes six people out off play creating more space in field of play.)

5/ Re introduce the 5meter rule from 10 meters,this will encourage skillful play in both attack and defence creating more excitment and off the cuff rugby plus more importantly give the defending side more time to block the boring and repetative last tackle kick to the corner and encourage more open play.

PS when did it become law to have to markers at the play the ball as watching a game over the wekend the ref would not allow play to continue until there was 2 markers?

I agree with all those except #4.  There was less scoring under the 5 metre rule, leaving the corner flag out of consideration on scoring plays will enhance scoring.

In response to the original question posed of 'How to improve the game', I would say the best way to improve things is to stop making wholesale changes to the rules every year and stop having separate rules for different competitions(NRL, SL, Championship, International).

How are we supposed to get new markets interested in the game when even some die hards struggle to keep up with which rules we're using in which game?

24 minutes ago, SJD said:

How about something more radical, for example stop changing the rules.

There’s more changing and tinkering of rules than ever , seemingly year on year and now twice this year . And it’s not joined up over the whole game 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I have no idea if the 5 metre rule will have that effect , but I’m all for more off the cuff and diverse attack . Way to often I have felt  like I’m watching the same set of six over n over again with the same plays , or virtually no plays until we set up for a kick . This year has been better , I hope that continues . For some time I’ve seen how the NRL is built on defence but thought attack lagged way behind 

The 5 metre rule would certainly produce more variety in attack because that would be the only way for teams to advance the ball any great distance on one set of six.  Nowadays they can gain 7-8 metres with ease on just about every play, which is ######.

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

The 5 metre rule would certainly produce more variety in attack because that would be the only way for teams to advance the ball any great distance on one set of six.  Nowadays they can gain 7-8 metres with ease on just about every play, which is ######.

Or it would turn the game into more of a tactical kicking battle?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, bobbies dad said:

3 - no thanks we dont want to end up like Union with 15 or 20 mins a game wasted by collapsing scrums and extreme faffing - just get rid of them.

4 - deffo not

From the other comments in this thread, I dont see the need to speed up our game anymore. Keep 13 players as anyless will mean the end of the really big forwards. I would rather see a big prop forward smash through a line of players than a small quick winger run the length of the pitch any day.

replace the touchline with a sting of small landmines - by not going to the video ref or putting the linesman in a predicament it will be easy for the ref to give a try or not by simply looking to see if the wingers foot has been blown off - again speeding up the game 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

a simple small explosive device placed in the ball - timed to go off between 0- 80mins randomly on a timer and set off by hand warmth and grip pressure would ensure the game flows at maximum speed 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 hours ago, bobbies dad said:

1 When do you think that this is not the case

2 Define what you mean. If it is in line with the current laws then nobody will argue

3 Define properly contested. 12 players are already taken out of the game. Nobody wants the RU scrum farce

4 Never

5 Not convinced it will give you the outcome you claim

The 2 markers was at a restart under the new laws not a normal PTB 

Archived