How to Improve the game

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

replace the touchline with a sting of small landmines - by not going to the video ref or putting the linesman in a predicament it will be easy for the ref to give a try or not by simply looking to see if the wingers foot has been blown off - again speeding up the game 

14 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

a simple small explosive device placed in the ball - timed to go off between 0- 80mins randomly on a timer and set off by hand warmth and grip pressure would ensure the game flows at maximum speed 

These are indeed to be trialled in the NRL dead rubbers this week . And if a wingers foot does get blown off you can use the 18th man 

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

The 5 metre rule would certainly produce more variety in attack because that would be the only way for teams to advance the ball any great distance on one set of six.  Nowadays they can gain 7-8 metres with ease on just about every play, which is ######.

Or they could play drive back like sides use too and crowds( don't know when) could strain their necks watching the ball being kicked back and too. The game I watch now is more entertaining than any under the 5m rule and I played all my career in that period. If you watch old matches it was slow, low skilled and never as good as we try to remember. 

4 hours ago, arcticchris said:

One of the greatest changes was making the corner flag just a way of making the try line obvious to spectators and players rather than an obstacle to avoid.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to reverse that.

And 40 20 in recent times too.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Bring back the punch up and then just a ticking off from the ref . Absolute rubbish seeing all this shirt grabbing and pushing and shoving and falling over , then sinbins for pushing someone in the face . I mean really , it’s rugby league not football . Let the guys go for it and get it out of their system , have to go on YouTube to see good punch ups 

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Bring in a rule where each team picks an opposing player to drink ten pints and play the full eighty. 

I have played in similar games, in my late 30s we were playing a side near oldham and i noticed a fat, bald guy in shorts necking pints and eating a pie, I said to my team mates this ones in the bag. He destroyed us in half an hour, looks are definitely deceiving. 

I don’t think it’s the rules that are the problem it’s the coaching. Not that I have watched much rugby this season but what I have seen was all one man drives to get to the kick. There was another post on here about the demise of the ball playing loose forward I think it’s a lack of ball players full stop. I just think it’s coached out of them at a young age.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

These are indeed to be trialled in the NRL dead rubbers this week . And if a wingers foot does get blown off you can use the 18th man 

Really, I thought NRL were trailing 2 footballs this week.  

I believe they are considering putting half height posts either side of the main. ones and charging 1 point for drop kicking the ball between them.

4 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Or they could play drive back like sides use too and crowds( don't know when) could strain their necks watching the ball being kicked back and too. The game I watch now is more entertaining than any under the 5m rule and I played all my career in that period. If you watch old matches it was slow, low skilled and never as good as we try to remember. 

I have watched a good many ARL and International matches from between 1990 and the first half of 1993, all played under the 5-metre rule.  They put the dull, repetitive bilge being served up nowadays to shame.

11 hours ago, bobbies dad said:

Thinking of ways to improve the game ,

1/ If the ball goes forward out of the hands its forward.

2/ Play the ball correctly at all times.

3/ Properly contested scrums at all times if re intraduced ( this takes six people out off play creating more space in field of play.)

4/ Corner flag is in touch.

5/ Re introduce the 5meter rule from 10 meters,this will encourage skillful play in both attack and defence creating more excitment and off the cuff rugby plus more importantly give the defending side more time to block the boring and repetative last tackle kick to the corner and encourage more open play.

Any other ideas to improve the game?

PS when did it become law to have to markers at the play the ball as watching a game over the wekend the ref would not allow play to continue until there was 2 markers?

Do you want it to be 7s? There's already that.

1) Already a rule

2) Already a rule

3) You spelt Introduced wrong

4) Removing the most exciting innovation of the past few years, yeah, no

5) More open play comes from more open space, that's pretty obvious.

If you are trolling, good effort.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

12 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Low skilled under the 5 meter rule,you must be blind,name me a real skilful ball player playing today and I can name you half a dozen better ball handlers from my team widnes from this era and people from other teams will be able to name there ball players,every team had them.

26 minutes ago, bobbies dad said:

Low skilled under the 5 meter rule,you must be blind,name me a real skilful ball player playing today and I can name you half a dozen better ball handlers from my team widnes from this era and people from other teams will be able to name there ball players,every team had them.

Not sure why there is a need to denigrate modern players in order to praise previous times. Each team needs to be looked at in its own era. I’d say though that the biggest change is full time professionalism and I don’t mean just with money but with attitude as well. Academy teams coming through now are at a completely different level to anytime in the past. So unless we decide we want to go backwards as a sport we aren’t going back to those times and no rule changes will alter that. 

33 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Not sure why there is a need to denigrate modern players in order to praise previous times.

It's because some old people are really, really bitter.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It's because some old people are really, really bitter.

Nobody is denigrating modern players,we know they are supremely fit athletes but with very little skill.

as an aside name me a skilful modern day player who on his own can turn a game like Jonathon Davies, Tony Myler ,Alex Murthy etc

9 minutes ago, bobbies dad said:

Nobody is denigrating modern players,we know they are supremely fit athletes but with very little skill.

as an aside name me a skilful modern day player who on his own can turn a game like Jonathon Davies, Tony Myler ,Alex Murthy etc

Who's Alex Murthy?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

14 minutes ago, bobbies dad said:

Now I know that you are trolling

24 minutes ago, bobbies dad said:

You couldn't even get to the end of the sentence.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived