More government support (Merged threads)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Considering the RFL estimates the sport is losing 2 million a week this is desperately needed.

Would be surprised if football clubs, especially those in the football league weren't included though?

£2m a week? I don’t understand how that can be the case if the Sky money is still coming in and (many) ST holders have donated their money to the clubs. 

28 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Considering the RFL estimates the sport is losing 2 million a week this is desperately needed.

Would be surprised if football clubs, especially those in the football league weren't included though?

The government wants the Premier League to give the EFL the £200m it needs. Lower down it says the govt may support National League and below.

9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The government wants the Premier League to give the EFL the £200m it needs. Lower down it says the govt may support National League and below.

Fair enough to an extent I suppose. Does seem a bit rich teams claiming furlough and in some cases making redundancies but then spending 100 million plus on players in the transfer window.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Fair enough to an extent I suppose. Does seem a bit rich teams claiming furlough and in some cases making redundancies but then spending 100 million plus on players in the transfer window.

Indeed. The government will want to avoid ‘Taxpayer funds footballer’s Ferrari’ headlines.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

£2m a week? I don’t understand how that can be the case if the Sky money is still coming in and (many) ST holders have donated their money to the clubs. 

It will vary from club to club, but matchday revenue will still be zero even if you take into account the donated season ticket income. 

Non-matchday income will be down at those clubs that rely on it. Leeds, for example, are massively exposed to the downturn in corporate hospitality. 

Commercial revenue will inevitably be down as well - clubs won't be able to fulfill their obligations to many of their sponsors and are reliant on their good will to hold onto that cash. 

Throw in the added cost of testing and you can easily start to see how clubs are collectively hitting that £2m a week figure. 

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

It will vary from club to club, but matchday revenue will still be zero even if you take into account the donated season ticket income. 

Non-matchday income will be down at those clubs that rely on it. Leeds, for example, are massively exposed to the downturn in corporate hospitality. 

Commercial revenue will inevitably be down as well - clubs won't be able to fulfill their obligations to many of their sponsors and are reliant on their good will to hold onto that cash. 

Throw in the added cost of testing and you can easily start to see how clubs are collectively hitting that £2m a week figure. 

Exactly, Wigan reckoned even with a heavily reduced capacity next Wednesday's game could have generated between 70 to 100k for them. The figure across the leagues must be huge

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

£2m pw, wow!! That’s 100000 paying spectators over and above season ticket sales pw, or about 22000 average gates with ST taken in. Testing will be about £10k per club pw so that drops £110k off the £2 I suppose

Good to see others simply making things up 

18 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

£2m pw, wow!! That’s 100000 paying spectators over and above season ticket sales pw, or about 22000 average gates with ST taken in. Testing will be about £10k per club pw so that drops £110k off the £2 I suppose

Good to see others simply making things up 

Thats literally from Ralph Rimmer here https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/rest-of-rugby-league-season-likely-to-be-behind-closed-doors-including-grand-final/

By all means if you think he's making it up feel free.

Ps. Not all revenue is from tickets and as has been stated by others 1 corporate ticket can be worth at least and well over 4 times a standard match ticket. Multiply that by each teams capacity and then across the 3 leagues and suddenly before other matchday revenue comes in its not a pretty picture

Point is, your maths is flawed

32 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats literally from Ralph Rimmer here https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/rest-of-rugby-league-season-likely-to-be-behind-closed-doors-including-grand-final/

By all means if you think he's making it up feel free.

Ps. Not all revenue is from tickets and as has been stated by others 1 corporate ticket can be worth at least and well over 4 times a standard match ticket. Multiply that by each teams capacity and then across the 3 leagues and suddenly before other matchday revenue comes in its not a pretty picture

Point is, your maths is flawed

£2m seems at the higher end at what I'd have expected but it really doesn't seem impossible.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Exactly, Wigan reckoned even with a heavily reduced capacity next Wednesday's game could have generated between 70 to 100k for them. The figure across the leagues must be huge

That figure seems to increase every time I read it. I’m sure the first figure was £50k

Just now, LeeF said:

That figure seems to increase every time I read it. I’m sure the first figure was £50k

Its all estimates but regardless of the individual clubs the governing body is now reporting the entire sport is down to the tune of £2 million a week. I think we have to hope either the government bail us out or the combined pressure of all the sporting leagues leads to some crowds being allowed.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its all estimates but regardless of the individual clubs the governing body is now reporting the entire sport is down to the tune of £2 million a week. I think we have to hope either the government bail us out or the combined pressure of all the sporting leagues leads to some crowds being allowed.

I was just being slightly flippant about the figure increasing ( it’ll be £150k by Christmas 😀) but agree that Clubs will need further support as the original 3-6 timescale has been exceeded (for clarification this isn’t a political point as the same applies across the World)

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

I was just being slightly flippant about the figure increasing ( it’ll be £150k by Christmas 😀) but agree that Clubs will need further support as the original 3-6 timescale has been exceeded (for clarification this isn’t a political point as the same applies across the World)

Yeah i know what you mean mate, but in the circumstances I can't blame them for even a slight inflation of figures. The return of all domestic sports in August was on the basis of at least some crowds by October. The budget forecasts are now being set to the worst case scenario planning that was done prior to the restart.

Are you saying that 1000 spectators (all season ticket holders) translates into £100,000 extra income?  

Don't you love RL fans? The sport is in a financial hole and is asking the government for help yet the only thing that seems to interest the usual suspects is in criticising the RFL for over-estimating the problem. How's about applauding the leadership for being upfront in seeking help instead of continually carping away?

Too much to ask? Probably, for some any way.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived