More government support (Merged threads)

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Don't you love RL fans? The sport is in a financial hole and is asking the government for help yet the only thing that seems to interest the usual suspects is in criticising the RFL for over-estimating the problem. How's about applauding the leadership for being upfront in seeking help instead of continually carping away?

Too much to ask? Probably, for some any way.

It's shocking really isn't it

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Don't you love RL fans? The sport is in a financial hole and is asking the government for help yet the only thing that seems to interest the usual suspects is in criticising the RFL for over-estimating the problem. How's about applauding the leadership for being upfront in seeking help instead of continually carping away?

More evidence of the lovely RL family.....

43 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I don’t have a problem with the RFL going high as I posted. My query was the Wigan figure which I have only ever seen, other than on here, as £50k which for a top line rather than profit number feels about correct

• John Drake changed the title to More government support (Merged threads)

Probably going to be tougher for the RFL this time round, having already had a loan when others didn't. Going to be a lot of sports seeking help from the government. Article on the Guardian by one of their union Journos about RU 'staring into the abyss'.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, EastLondonMike said:

Probably going to be tougher for the RFL this time round, having already had a loan when others didn't. Going to be a lot of sports seeking help from the government. Article on the Guardian by one of their union Journos about RU 'staring into the abyss'.

I think it could go either way on that front. They could, as you point out say "you've already had some money, back of the queue now please" or the fact we got a loan previously could be in our favour in terms of already having a foot in the door and proven our need for the initial lockdown period.

Do you know any clubs who have taken out any of this 'LOAN' - If the RFL are guaranteeing the 'LOAN' then I would be a bit peased off that other clubs may end up paying the debts of others.

Out of interest, you do realise that a 'LOAN' is not a 'GIFT' unlike furlough

For the real numbnuts out there I doubt the annual turnover of the entire SL is not £100m pa, ie £2m pw, when salarc cap is at £25m or so.

Rimmer gives me as much confidence as a ripped Jonny in a dodgy brothel

28 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Indeed if the RU have no fans (no tickets no season tickets) and no corporates for the autumn internationals and 6 Nations after,  then the home unions will lose heavily.  And the premiership is no better off than we are.

37 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Do you know any clubs who have taken out any of this 'LOAN' - If the RFL are guaranteeing the 'LOAN' then I would be a bit peased off that other clubs may end up paying the debts of others.

Out of interest, you do realise that a 'LOAN' is not a 'GIFT' unlike furlough

For the real numbnuts out there I doubt the annual turnover of the entire SL is not £100m pa, ie £2m pw, when salarc cap is at £25m or so.

Rimmer gives me as much confidence as a ripped Jonny in a dodgy brothel

It's about time you stopped going to them then Sweaty.

And, yes, I do know a number of clubs who have applied for a part of the loan.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

It's about time you stopped going to them then Sweaty.

And, yes, I do know a number of clubs who have applied for a part of the loan.

Are you aware that a loan isn't a gift?

Apparently, this is a technical detail that some people don't understand.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Are you aware that a loan isn't a gift?

Apparently, this is a technical detail that some people don't understand.

Yes I am, that's why it is called a loan I believe.

Do you know the terms of the loan from HMG to the RFL, or from the RFL to the clubs? I don't, but the more generous that they are then the more attractive they will be, don't you think?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

It was also publicly linked to the World Cup so there may be parts that have been used to support the development of that in these "difficult times"

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It was also publicly linked to the World Cup so there may be parts that have been used to support the development of that in these "difficult times"

True. The 3 I linked to are the ones I remember stating their intentions early on. I haven't looked to see if any others have, although I do remember seeing comments from other chairmen saying they would check on the terms of the loan before making a decision.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Its all of Rugby League "numbnuts". Thats 36 "professional clubs" at least plus the rest. 

Thats before we get to major event tickets not bought. 

3 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

It's true for all sports isn't it? The prospect of no fans for six months (at least) is a disaster as much for RU as RL, will hit football as much as cricket. My local non league team had a (COVID) capacity for their FA Cup tie earlier this week, which they won. Next round no fans and no money.

What I think RFL has been very good at, and is a consequence of the thing I gripe about the game (its concentration along the M6 corridor), is arguing the part clubs play in their communities (anchor institutes in the parlance). Lucky for us all you northerners chose to vote Tory last year!

9 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

What I think RFL has been very good at, and is a consequence of the thing I gripe about the game (its concentration along the M6 corridor), is arguing the part clubs play in their communities (anchor institutes in the parlance). Lucky for us all you northerners chose to vote Tory last year!

Indeed. It has probably saved the sport.

20 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

It's true for all sports isn't it? The prospect of no fans for six months (at least) is a disaster as much for RU as RL, will hit football as much as cricket. My local non league team had a (COVID) capacity for their FA Cup tie earlier this week, which they won. Next round no fans and no money.

Booming in Stoke and Birmingham I hear.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Booming in Stoke and Birmingham I hear.

I saw I made the a typo straight after I posted and was going to change but thought it won't distract people from the point I want to make, but hey...

Archived