More government support (Merged threads)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I saw I made the a typo straight after I posted and was going to change but thought it won't distract people from the point I want to make, but hey...

Twas only in jest its a very valid point, one I agree with, and one that Gloucester RU are also trying to push now too.

On 24/09/2020 at 02:36, frank said:

How  are they going to pay that off?

Is anyone asking them to pay it off ?

Governments work in a different way to buying your house with a building society loan.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

17 minutes ago, Griff said:

Governments work in a different way to buying your house with a building society loan.

They are being asked to pay it back hence it being constantly reiterated as a loan not a grant etc.

Whatever loans, grants whatever has to paid for... either through general taxation or organizations/business paying their loans off through customer income/revenue.

For me its right to be a loan ultimately paid for by clubs through their customers... 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

They are being asked to pay it back hence it being constantly reiterated as a loan not a grant etc.

Yes, but the terms haven't been made public. Expect them to be fairly loose.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree with my learned friend Johnny.

I'd be surprised if anything is ever repaid.

The loan bit will be political.

22 hours ago, Griff said:

I’d imagine it’s going to be like a student loan were you pay it back once your income reaches a certain level. 

44 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I’d imagine it’s going to be like a student loan were you pay it back once your income reaches a certain level. 

It'll be quietly written off a few years down the line.

The 60ish clubs of football's National League (the three divisions over two tiers just below the Football League) are set to receive a government grant of £20m to enable them to play their season behind closed doors.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The 60ish clubs of football's National League (the three divisions over two tiers just below the Football League) are set to receive a government grant of £20m to enable them to play their season behind closed doors.

The two questions that need answering IMO

Did we ask for a grant or did we only ask for a loan?

Did we ask for more than £16M or is that all we asked for?

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Can't believe they haven't tagged that onto the package the PL are having to put together for the other lower leagues. £20m is a drop in the ocean to them.

Looking forward to seeing what they're going to offer RL and other sports...

13 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

My local MP, Barbara Keeley has tweeted an appeal today for rugby funding (both codes) Saying how vital it is to the local community

Every business sector/sport/interest group is saying exactly the same thing. Is it actually true though? (caveat: we, as individual fanatics are not necessarily representative of our local communities.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Every business sector/sport/interest group is saying exactly the same thing. Is it actually true though? (caveat: we, as individual fanatics are not necessarily representative of our local communities.)

So who is a fair representation of a local community ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So who is a fair representation of a local community ?

You tell me, but I am certain that RL fans in general, and in particular those of us posting on here, are not

I await protestations from Featherstone and Leigh.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

You tell me, but I am certain that RL fans in general, and in particular those of us posting on here, are not

I await protestations from Featherstone and Leigh.

No John , it was you who said we weren't , so it's up to you to supply who is ? 😉

49 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

This is where the Burnham report comes in. Its there in black and white, academically researched "proof" that is a major quantifiable step up on the emotional points that started it and are now being trotted out (legitimately but without any other support) by others.

• 9 months later...

Further on the government loan stuff, it looks like all the SL clubs ended up taking advantage of them.

The loans were cycled through an RFL body called RFL Investments 2020 Ltd and the interest rate is 0.2%. Repayments are in equal lumps over a four year period beginning in October 2021.

Leeds received £1.25m from the total advanced to the RFL.

15 minutes ago, M j M said:

Further on the government loan stuff, it looks like all the SL clubs ended up taking advantage of them.

The loans were cycled through an RFL body called RFL Investments 2020 Ltd and the interest rate is 0.2%. Repayments are in equal lumps over a four year period beginning in October 2021.

Leeds received £1.25m from the total advanced to the RFL.

0.2% how nice?

Archived