Fri 25 Sept: SL: Warrington Wolves v Catalans Dragons KO 6pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/09/20 at 17:30

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Casty is 35 and Moa 34. Time for new blood.

Steve Menzies was playing for Catalans , and playing well, into his fortieth year. The world’s greatest ever hooker and future Immortal Cameron Smith is 37, and may play on next year in the NRL. Age is not, in itself, proof that a player is too old to play well.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Manfred Mann said:

Steve Menzies was playing for Catalans , and playing well, into his fortieth year. The world’s greatest ever hooker and future Immortal Cameron Smith is 37, and may play on next year in the NRL. Age is not, in itself, proof that a player is too old to play well.

True but Moa and Casty are done. You know it.

5 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

These are exceptions rather than the norm. 

3 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

These are exceptions rather than the norm. 

You are correct. However that does not refute my point. Man of Kent citing the age of Casty and Moa doesn’t prove that they are rubbish. And of course they are not rubbish.

47 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Mamo is awfully camp.

I agree. But we need more campy players in rugby league, especially if they can win man of the match often, and get a chance to be interviewed on television. Their entertainment appeal would increase match attendances and television viewership.

So long as Catalans have Tomkins, Folau, Maloney, McIlorum, Bousquet, Kasiano, Garcia, Batieri, and either Langi or Mead, fit and able to play, Catalans have a decent chance of beating Leeds out of fourth place at the end of the regular season.

If any of the first four are missing their chances drop considerably.

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

The Catalans didn’t play badly, just not good enough. They have a good team, with the best full back and the best centre in Super League, plus a top quality hooker. They should not have been losing all of their last three games, certainly not the CC loss to Salford. But Catalans were awful against Wigan. Tonight they were much better. However they still should be competing for a Grand Final spot with the team that they have, and they aren’t doing that at the moment. The stats show a poor completion rate and much too many missed tackles.

I think Laghlan Coote is the best full back in the league on current form with Bevan French very close behind. 

Ironically St Helens also have by far the best French player.

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

So long as Catalans have Tomkins, Folau, Maloney, McIlorum, Bousquet, Kasiano, Garcia, Batieri, and either Langi or Mead, fit and able to play, Catalans have a decent chance of beating Leeds out of fourth place at the end of the regular season.

If any of the first four are missing their chances drop considerably.

As long as Catlans have  penalty machines like Tompkins's snr & jnr, Maloney & McIlorum in their side they are never going to really challenge for anything.

8 hours ago, Niels said:

I think Laghlan Coote is the best full back in the league on current form with Bevan French very close behind. 

Both excellent players, but people seem to overlook Ratchford who is playing to a high level every week for seasons mainly at fullback. It seems like the world of RL is producing a high level of quality fullbacks with the NRL awash with them and quite a few over here. 

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Gives a good interview, doesn't he?

Watching Mamo talking to Jenna post match reminded me of the job interview scene in Trainspotting.

Not sure if the Our League voting app in any way sways the Man of the match selection but I imagine, no matter how poorly he plays, Jake will win by a landslide at the next available opportunity.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Watching Mamo talking to Jenna post match reminded me of the job interview scene in Trainspotting.

Not sure if the Our League voting app in any way sways the Man of the match selection but I imagine, no matter how poorly he plays, Jake will win by a landslide at the next available opportunity.

92dd954cb9074300122ddef2e225e559.jpg

7 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Both excellent players, but people seem to overlook Ratchford who is playing to a high level every week for seasons mainly at fullback. It seems like the world of RL is producing a high level of quality fullbacks with the NRL awash with them and quite a few over here. 

Ratchford gets overlooked because, whether he plays well or badly at FB, he'll probably start in a different position the following week. He's Warrington's Swiss Army Knife.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Bit confusing comment, he's pretty much been at fb  barring emergencies since 2015.

Okay, maybe it's just the impression built up over the years.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Okay, maybe it's just the impression built up over the years.

Smith tended to float him around due to our lack of creative half backs / hookers since Briers / Monaghan retired. He did an okay job, but didn't get the chance to show what a great FB he is. I think he's been our most important player since he settled at 1. With Ashton in the side though I'll accept Ratch doing a half-decent job at 13 if it keeps him in the team.

On a side note, I think his calm, level head makes him a much better option as Captain than Hill or Hughes. He was in charge during the two matches we won when we lost 9 key players during the COVID isolation thing.

• John Drake unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
On 26/09/2020 at 06:09, ELBOWSEYE said:

I remembered this post when I watched the Wigan v Warrington game last night on sky plus.

Ratchford had an excellent game and I think you are correct. He was the most skilful player on the pitch and I was very impressed.

I was glad you pointed him out.

15 hours ago, Niels said:

I remembered this post when I watched the Wigan v Warrington game last night on sky plus.

Ratchford had an excellent game and I think you are correct. He was the most skilful player on the pitch and I was very impressed.

I was glad you pointed him out.

Personally, i thought he had a mixed game at best, ok going forward, but had one of his bad nights in defence/fielding kicks

Archived