The skills of the modern Rugby Player player

Dunbar

We all have our memories of Rugby League growing up and I have to say that the 80's and 90's were a golden age for me but what a wonderfully skillful and exciting game we have have to watch in Rugby League in 2020!

As an example, take a look at this mornings game between the Cowboys and the Broncos.  A wooden spoon decider!

From 3 minutes and 10 seconds in the video linked below we see the last 3 tries of the game.

1. Scott Drinkwater throwing a two man cut out pass for his winger to score in the corner

2. A beautiful short kick with the same two players linking up to score again.

3. The Cowboys (Valentine Holmes) picking up a ball on his own line following a Broncos break and counter attacking to set up a length of the field try.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/24/match-highlights-broncos-v-cowboys/

The second worst team in the competition producing three wonderful pieces of play that would grace any era.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

The second worst team in the competition producing three wonderful pieces of play that would grace any era.

Yes, but if they applauded all the kills that are truly wonderful in the modern game they'd look a bit silly when they then ranted how the game on the pitch was in decline.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

We all have our memories of Rugby League growing up and I have to say that the 80's and 90's were a golden age for me but what a wonderfully skillful and exciting game we have have to watch in Rugby League in 2020!

As an example, take a look at this mornings game between the Cowboys and the Broncos.  A wooden spoon decider!

From 3 minutes and 10 seconds in the video linked below we see the last 3 tries of the game.

1. Scott Drinkwater throwing a two man cut out pass for his winger to score in the corner

2. A beautiful short kick with the same two players linking up to score again.

3. The Cowboys (Valentine Holmes) picking up a ball on his own line following a Broncos break and counter attacking to set up a length of the field try.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/24/match-highlights-broncos-v-cowboys/

Dunbar, I made similar observations over on the match day thread while watching the game. Class all over the field and that was without Michael Morgan, whom I rate very highly and Kotoni Staggs, an excitement machine who went off early.

And how good it is to have Val Holmes back. In everything, jumping in to dummy half, diving on loose balls, taking hit ups, attacking the bomb and putting blokes away for tries. The way he went looking for his winger on that run was something to behold. And I just love that straight backed running style he has.

Great game, you would have to be hard to please if you didn`t enjoy that.

The Rabbitohs/Bulldogs game last week was also a good watch, when the Bulldogs at kick-off were anchored at the bottom of the ladder.

Both this and Broncos/Cowboys will have been written off by most of the media as not worth bothering with.

Every so often, in the context of NRL expansion, some smart pundit will assert that there isn`t enough talent to maintain the quality in a larger competition. They think they`re purveying some great insight, yet the only reason it`s taken seriously is that it`s relayed through an NRL media whose default setting is negativity. If NRL journalists were more balanced and knowledgeable, the suggestion would be laughed out of court.

I would reckon there are scores, even hundreds, of players in Q Cup, NSW Cup, and other Aussie comps who with the benefit of a full off-season at an NRL franchise would slot into first-grade with nobody noticing any drop in standards.

On 25/09/2020 at 12:57, unapologetic pedant said:

I would reckon there are scores, even hundreds, of players in Q Cup, NSW Cup, and other Aussie comps who with the benefit of a full off-season at an NRL franchise would slot into first-grade with nobody noticing any drop in standards.

Saw a bit of the Northern Territory League comp recently, it didn`t say whether it was the u18`s or opens, looked pretty young, but the RL talent on display was evident. Same with the PNG Digicel competition which I think given the countries size and players pool could be an underdeveloped gold mine. Great news they now have an u20`s in the Qld. Cup.

I don`t think the League is short of talent if they care to look, perhaps they will start recruiting out of these comps when there is more Professional teams demanding more players. This overflow of players always helps to keep me a bit more optimistic about League in your part of the world, when I hear a lot of stories  about a lack of local player development.

I am sure that Pacifique Trieze could supply another whole new vein of talent.

Archived