• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he has a point, there have been several inconsistancies with the officiating and just looking at the different punishments for the squirrel tackles enphasis this.

I though Salford were at the wrong end of the official too in the earlier game.

I dont think theres necessarily a bias just that we now expect the ref to get every decision right and with every game televised and the six again being so quick and new theres a lot more scrutiney on the ref.

As for Cas, their pack lets them down as they are not big enough. They also dont seem to have a big squad.

Well i can't really think of any bad calls that went against his team tonight, or mine if i'm honest - apart from the ones he or his players made.

He's a sore loser and has turned into one of those fans on social media who ALWAYS blames the ref when his team loses.

He's starting to become an embarrassment.

Pack it in Daryl 

He's the biggest moaner I've ever seen in the game.

Never credits the opposition, either in victory or defeat, always looks to blame everyone but his own players and always looks for excuses, his constant sniping and criticism of the officials has gone on too long and it's now become, tiresome, tedious, boring and a bit of a rubbish joke.

His first words tonight was "we were pretty busted" no credit to the Giants, no comment or responsibility on the players who had let him down,they weren't pretty busted when they had a 19-12 lead were they?

He chooses to ignore his and his teams failings in order to use his post match interview to bash the officials, not for the first time.

Every team has injuries, every team gets disrupted and every team is on the end of bad calls, they also benefit from them too, Cas did tonight, but no other coach whinges and moans as much as he does.

But he chooses to use these as excuses, like McDermott and Leeds when they started going downhill.

Some of the 6 again stuff is a bit hit and miss, but his team benefitted from them tonight as all teams do at some stage, but there are proper channels to take issues with rules etc and he clearly isn't bothered about them.

It's time his club and the authorities came down on him and sanctioned him now.

For the 'mega coach' he's often made out to be I can't help but think he's massively overrated. Given Castleford's youth resources, stability off the field financially and the salary capped nature of the sport, I can't help but think he should have done better than he has.

Perhaps he's just reached the natural shelf life that coaches seem to have before things go stale - or rather he reached it a couple of years ago and has gone on too long in the same place. Whining the way he does is maybe a sign of someone who has run out of ideas.

Has a point.  As I've stated on a different post:

3 consequetive games, 3 players banned for a cumulative 19 games.  From memory Cas got a single penalty from the 4 offences involved during the game (3 of the offences certainly went unpunished).

All games in telly and video ref available.

His team made to play twice in 72 hours despite having played as many games as any other SL team in a season were a win % will determine league position.

So he is justified in some criticism of recent officiating and fixtures.

In terms of his position at Cas , I'd point out:

-Cas were going well prior to lockdown, had some bad luck with fixtures and injuries (I'd question how some of the players have managed their fitness during lock down tbh).

-Wheldon Road is a fortress for Cas and a lack of home games has been a big negative.

-Cas dont have a big budget nor great youth system to call upon so he has to sign and rely on some pretty average squad players (due to financial restraints and facilities).

Despite the above points I'd question, (although Powell wont be entirely responsible):

-Contracts issued to aging players like Shenton, Moors  Millington and Cook. The first 3 are big earners and I thing should have been moved on last year or at the end of this (Moors is the only one not contracted next year).

-Lack of cover in key positions (started the season with only 2 half backs)

-Apparent reluctance to give young players game time (Hodgeson, limited minutes for O Neil and Hepi)

Anyone know what going on with Cas’ new ground by the way? Not taking the p here I know it’s a long standing joke but I haven’t heard anything about it for ages. Such a shame as I think Wheldon Road is holding them back in some respects, and they could make up a big six (or seven if TWP are allowed back) if they get a nice new ground in the town. 

I think, at one point or another, nearly every coach has mentioned the amount of injuries and/or fatigue to their players in an interview. Salford, Cas, Wakefield, Leeds, Salford and Huddersfield have all made short-term signings in one form or another, so it can’t be an isolated incident to Cas, so there must be something to it. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Anyone know what going on with Cas’ new ground by the way? Not taking the p here I know it’s a long standing joke but I haven’t heard anything about it for ages. Such a shame as I think Wheldon Road is holding them back in some respects, and they could make up a big six (or seven if TWP are allowed back) if they get a nice new ground in the town. 

Wasn’t there something to do with not having enough business signed up to the retail park yet for them to be able to make a start on that and the stadium.

Dont know how Covid will have affected it but time will tell

Not for the first time Powell was bang out of order and yet again wrong. He needs to look in the mirror and address the basic mistakes and simple errors his players make before blaming anyone else

The RFL should be ensuring that his wallet is much lighter for his comments yesterday

I've said it a few times now,  i think he's had a purple patch with some very good signings 

Mcmeeken, solomona, 

Webster had a career resurgence after signing from hkr, 

He lucked into getting hardaker who was in the form of his life.

Greg eden had a miraculous 12 months that no one saw coming, who then dropped off a cliff formalise.

They've never really sorted out at fb after hardaker,  the amount of people who have tried, garry Io, qlt, Eden, matautia, Turner, gob, there's probably a few more i cant recall.

But according to him, theyve had injuries for the past 3 years, consistently,  as if no other team does.

Injuries dont let your wife defenders run up and stand watching when dec patton puts Ben currie through a gap at the end of a game, or the giants last night streaming through just after scoring. 

He needs to shoulder some blame.

Give him a break. If he didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent him. He knows the honest truth about his teams performance and its human nature to look for a scapegoat, so let him express his views. 

We can make our own minds up about him from what he says, the way he says it, who he says it about, and who he says it to.  It won't change a thing. 

I think its both, he does have a point about the referees being poor but thats partly down to the speed of the game now and also partly down to the players constantly trying to con them. 

But he shouldn't be bringing this up after every defeat, its defeatist and does him and his team no good. Take the defeat on the chin, decisions went the way of both teams as they generally usually do.

46 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

They've never really sorted out at fb after hardaker,  the amount of people who have tried, garry Io, qlt, Eden, matautia, Turner, gob, there's probably a few more i cant recall.

Has definitely been one of the major issues last few years (although Cas have still made top 5 each year and were top 5 prior to lock down and I'd argue that is a tribute to Powell).

Since Dorn and Hardaker we have played the following at full back:

Ben Robert's, Greg Eden, Jake Trueman, QLT,  Pete Matautia, Callum Turner, Jordan Rankin, Gareth O Brien, James Claire.

Lo was never played at full back, played once on the wing.

Difficult to know who's to blame for that though, Powell will have identified targets who ultimately the club failed to land (Toronto outbid us for O Brien, been tracking Evalds for a few years).

15 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

https://www.facebook.com/224128750938619/posts/4720973704587412/

Full interview with Powell, extremely balanced view of his team, performances and issues since lockdown.  Only mentions refs when the journalist specifically asks towards the end of the interview (and his points are valid in my opinion).

He introduced the subject on the Sky interview. 

3 minutes ago, RS said:

He introduced the subject on the Sky interview. 

Yeah I just find the later post game interviews more telling, particularly in light of the OP's question.  The coach has had time to get over the initial disappointment which usually comes out straight away.

He is clearly unhappy with the officiating and rightly so in my opinion, but some on here seem to be suggest he is blinkered about it and his own teams performances.

Archived