Kevin Walters to be next Brisbane Broncos coach

48 minutes ago, Damien said:

Bellamy as a coaching director seems like a complete waste. Just give him the coaching gig and don't bother with Walters. It also does Walters no favours having one of the best and most successful coaches in the game looking over his shoulder.

I think that is for 2022. Walters still has a chance to completely muck it up before Bellamy arrives.

7 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

He probably will if he performs like he did at the catalans

What a joke, Why would you not choose Paul Green. I read an interview that said the Broncos didn`t like Siebolds high intensity " faster than game day approach " to training. Talk about entitlement. Walters always reminds me of Barny Rubble.

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

What a joke, Why would you not choose Paul Green. I read an interview that said the Broncos didn`t like Siebolds high intensity " faster than game day approach " to training. Talk about entitlement. Walters always reminds me of Barny Rubble.

Lets not forget that Paul Green has one a grand final as well

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Lets not forget that Paul Green has one a grand final as well

Exactly !  Things got a bit stale up there at NQ, but he was the first to admit it, didn`t have a lot of luck with Morgan being out for so long as well. I thought he would have been perfect for the Broncos.

Sooner they get Redcliffe in the better, the Broncos have got to realise the world doesn`t revolve around them.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Bellamy as a coaching director seems like a complete waste. Just give him the coaching gig and don't bother with Walters. It also does Walters no favours having one of the best and most successful coaches in the game looking over his shoulder.

I get the impression Bellamy wants to take a step back from the day to day pressures. However, it’s easier said than done when you’re such a passionate person like he is. He may find it difficult to do and crave the head coach role if he doesn’t like how things are panning out. 

49 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think that is for 2022. Walters still has a chance to completely muck it up before Bellamy arrives.

I would usually agree because I don’t rate Walters.......but he can’t do any worse than they have this season. Anything will be an improvement 

Don’t rate Walters , his insight as a commentator is Barrie Macesque .  I think the Broncos had to escape this ‘ old boy ‘ mentality . He obviously has friends and connections who’ve got him in but they needed a radical shake up . Yes they had Seibold but he was way over promoted . They need a hard nut to come in from outside , if Green was the alternative he should have got it . He rubbed a few up the wrong way in Townsville but maybe that’s what they need . Broncos really are a basket case with a horribly disfunctional salary cap 

32 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I get the impression Bellamy wants to take a step back from the day to day pressures. However, it’s easier said than done when you’re such a passionate person like he is. He may find it difficult to do and crave the head coach role if he doesn’t like how things are panning out. 

I would usually agree because I don’t rate Walters.......but he can’t do any worse than they have this season. Anything will be an improvement 

Don`t rate Walters either, big difference being liked by everyone and being a smart operator. 

The best thing that Brisbane have got in regards to Bellamy is that he has stated before that he eventually wants to move home to Qld to be near family. Heard someone say to day  that at the Broncos the cameras are there every day, that`s part of the deal coaching the Broncos and there is no way Bellamy would tolerate that.

He will only be 64 next year, so he still definitely has a few years left in him and I don`t see him as the retiring type.

I struggle to see Bellyache taking a back seat . He’s so emotionally invested in things it’ll be an interesting dynamic . Seems like Bellamy is there to watch over Walters so they can’t rate Walters that much . Not sure if I’d like that if I’m Walters tbh , that’s a big presence at your shoulder. I can see Bellyache easing into the job if/when Walters can’t turn it round either 

Bellyache has intimated next season could be his last one as a Head Coach and the Ponies have jumped the gun thinking he will be their D  o R, the Storm board will do their best to keep him on as a D o R but only down there a 2-3 days a week as he is going to relocate back to Queensland with the Family, but his son Aaron who is on the Storm staff will still be there, so there is alot of variation to go through before we know!

Being his last season I also hope Cam Smith goes around for the last time and they can both switch the light off together!

The big problem for Storm is to manage Bellyache's leaving in a way that is the opposite to Man Utd's dealing with SAF's retirement!

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

Just can`t imagine Bellamy coaching against the Storm. You would think that he would want to know they are in a good place before he cut off all ties with them, like the idea of him staying on as coaching director , 2 or 3 days a week . He could fly down there for that until Smith is ready. Did you know that Cam Smith`s old man was a coach, bit like Ricky Stuarts father, a bush coach who moved around a bit.

The prospect of Bellamy at Brisbane and Bennet at Redcliffe is a marketers dream. 

Walters is a terrible coach that gets unjustly talked up for major roles like this simply because of the Queensland and Broncos old boys network.

Expect Brisbane to miss the top 8 again in 2021 despite having some outstanding young players.

Is it just ignorance that leads the Aussie media to fail to recognise how poor Walters did when he was head coach at Catalans. 

Walters almost destroyed the Catalans during his two disastrous years as coach. He was appointed on the basis of his gregarious personality,  in reaction to the austere and cold personality of his predecessor. Walters’ tenure was a disaster that would have been even worse had not Greg Bird arrived and lifted the team at season’s end.

Walter's has got it on the old boy network, whatever his failings at Catalans the Aussies take no notice of SL matters hence Holbrook only being able to get a one year deal with the Titans initially or the sight of failure's like Furner, Gentile, Sandercock in assistants roles, Diemitriou had to work his way through the Northern Pride and Cowboys to become heir apparent to Bennett at Souths.

4 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Is it just ignorance that leads the Aussie media to fail to recognise how poor Walters did when he was head coach at Catalans.

It`s weird it just never gets mentioned, the only way I knew about it was through this forum.

2 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Walter's has got it on the old boy network, whatever his failings at Catalans the Aussies take no notice of SL matters hence Holbrook only being able to get a one year deal with the Titans initially or the sight of failure's like Furner, Gentile, Sandercock in assistants roles, Diemitriou had to work his way through the Northern Pride and Cowboys to become heir apparent to Bennett at Souths.

That`s not completely true, Holbrook was getting a lot of raps about his success at St. Helens, but I agree Walters time at Catalans you`d never know it had happened. Seems if you coach at Origin your a legend, win, lose or draw.

With regards your observation of " failures ...in assistant roles". Seems to me that a lot of unsuccessful coaches seem to pick up assistant roles very quickly, you see them everywhere, Cartwright, Barret, Brown, Price was assistant at Cronulla before he got the job in England, and now the greatest dud of all Stephen Kearney has been picked up by Bellamy at Melbourne.

I can only think of two reasons for this, firstly the Head Coach knows they have ability but just lacking something to be a successful Head Coach and therefore have something to offer, or maybe just pity, give the poor sod a job after he`s just been turfed and knows he may never coach first grade again. Probably the former, they might have failed but they must have some ability otherwise they would never had got a Head Coach role at all.

I do like the way Demetriou has worked his way up though. Smacks of a bloke really learning the ropes before going into the top job.

I know something about Walters time at Catalans through my contact with one of the players. Walters was not highly respected by the players. He was a poor disciplinarian. If a player dropped the ball a few times at training, coaches would normally order a penalty of some kind, such as a remedial set of exercises, Walters never did. He would just let it go.

Walters has made his way in life after retiring from playing rugby league by being an amiable guy, being just one of the boys, and by calling on his personal connections to get jobs.

Brisbane under Walters’ coaching is not going to win anything.

18 hours ago, The Rocket said:

It`s weird it just never gets mentioned, the only way I knew about it was through this forum.

That`s not completely true, Holbrook was getting a lot of raps about his success at St. Helens, but I agree Walters time at Catalans you`d never know it had happened. Seems if you coach at Origin your a legend, win, lose or draw.

With regards your observation of " failures ...in assistant roles". Seems to me that a lot of unsuccessful coaches seem to pick up assistant roles very quickly, you see them everywhere, Cartwright, Barret, Brown, Price was assistant at Cronulla before he got the job in England, and now the greatest dud of all Stephen Kearney has been picked up by Bellamy at Melbourne.

I can only think of two reasons for this, firstly the Head Coach knows they have ability but just lacking something to be a successful Head Coach and therefore have something to offer, or maybe just pity, give the poor sod a job after he`s just been turfed and knows he may never coach first grade again. Probably the former, they might have failed but they must have some ability otherwise they would never had got a Head Coach role at all.

I do like the way Demetriou has worked his way up though. Smacks of a bloke really learning the ropes before going into the top job.

The other reason Head Coaches chose failure's as assistants is they maybe figure they are less threatening to their own positions, let them put the cones out and run a few sessions but don't let them near tactics or defensive structures.

The good news for Walters is that the Broncos can't be much worse than this year and so he can't really take them backwards.

I am never particularly impressed when I hear him speak on the game as a TV summarisor or studio pundit, very little insight.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived