Kevin Walters to be next Brisbane Broncos coach

Joining Just in time for Broncos open top bus ride thru Brissie with  their wooden spoon.

Appointing a coach before appointing CEO....organisation in disarray from top to bottom.

Lack of spine was clear 2 years ago when Dragons demolished them at Lang Park in finals...nothing done to deal with the problem and the demolition jobs became more and more frequent. 

5 hours ago, Clogiron said:

The other reason Head Coaches chose failure's as assistants is they maybe figure they are less threatening to their own positions, let them put the cones out and run a few sessions but don't let them near tactics or defensive structures.

You know I was going to run that as my second reason, but I figured there is plenty of other people who can do that job, so maybe they do have something to offer just couldn`t crack it as a head. I reckon being a head coach the man management would be one of the hardest things, that balance between being tough and making players push themselves and keeping the players onside, especially senior players who know they can always earn big bucks elsewhere. And if you lose them you probably lose the team.

Some one on here said something interesting the other day when we were talking about really intense coaches. I used the example of Brian Smith and Ricky Stuart and how they never seem to last long at any club, their intensity tends to wear the players down, the other poster reckoned that although Ricky has mellowed he was smart enough to bring Mick Ennis on board who was renowned for being a bit of a joker and take a bit of that hard edge off. I wonder if Griffin at St. George is doing the same thing by bringing Matty Elliot on board. Griffin is a renowned hardar$e.

It's really interesting to watch the way this whole scenario has been managed by Walters and his mates. Journalists and columnists at Fox and NRL.com - all with long-standing connections to him - have cleared a path to this job beautifully. First by crucifying Seibold, and then creating an image where Walters was the only sensible choice for the job. As if any other decision would be ludicrous. They tried to do the same with the Ben Ikin and the CEO position but it didn't really catch on and trickled out pretty quickly. 

I agree with others though, not only does Walters have a poor record as a coach but appointing him while the senior management are yet to be in place is just asking for trouble. I don't think he or his mates appreciate the size of the job at Brisbane. Rushing this appointment will only make their recovery harder and longer.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

7 hours ago, nadera78 said:

It's really interesting to watch the way this whole scenario has been managed by Walters and his mates. Journalists and columnists at Fox and NRL.com - all with long-standing connections to him - have cleared a path to this job beautifully. First by crucifying Seibold, and then creating an image where Walters was the only sensible choice for the job. As if any other decision would be ludicrous. They tried to do the same with the Ben Ikin and the CEO position but it didn't really catch on and trickled out pretty quickly. 

I agree with others though, not only does Walters have a poor record as a coach but appointing him while the senior management are yet to be in place is just asking for trouble. I don't think he or his mates appreciate the size of the job at Brisbane. Rushing this appointment will only make their recovery harder and longer.

Agreed it’s been a hatchet job from start to finish.

9 hours ago, nadera78 said:

1 hour ago, arcticchris said:

Agreed it’s been a hatchet job from start to finish

There`s been some figures released about the different sporting Clubs in OZ.

The Broncos are by far and away the most popular club in the NRL with 930 000 fans down  8.5% from last year when they had 1 016 000 supporters. They are the second most popular sporting club in OZ.

The next largest is Melbourne 901 000 who are up about 3% this year. It`s a fair drop after that to Cowboys 535 000, Souths 470 000.

Getting back to the Broncos underperforming though, the afl club west coast beagles have 710 000 supporters yet the club generates $85m a year in revenue, the Broncos generate $55m. I use the comparison with the beagles because they are a one team town(well almost) as well. In cities of roughly the same size. $30m more revenue, 220 000 less supporters.

Shows that the Broncos have not been performing off field as well. An article by Roy Masters interviewed ex Board members and they said the board had become a farce with the appointment of people with no business acumen i.e. Darren Lockyer and some ex-netballer. Masters sources said that for the first time anyone could remember people sat around in the board room talking footy and not getting down to business, no wonder they are a schemozzle on and off the field. And they were going to appoint Ben Ikin.

This shows why they are trying to poach Melbourne staff top to bottom, one of the best run clubs in Australia. That club is lost and they don`t know in what direction to turn they are thrashing around trying to steal the administration from a successful club because they have no idea how to fix it on their own.

I hope V`landy`s means it when he says he is going to bring in another Brisbane team because the Broncos need a bit of competition  to get their mind back on the job. They have it too easy up there, being treated like Gods, another team right next door and doing well might shake them out of their torpor.

All confirmed then:

Kevin Walters insists he will unite the Broncos and restore the club’s winning culture after being appointed head coach for the next two seasons.

The club officially announced his signing on Wednesday and the five-time Broncos premiership winner said it was the realisation of "a dream" 20 years in the making.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/30/walters-named-coach-i-can-unite-broncos-and-return-to-finals-next-year/

1 hour ago, Damien said:

All confirmed then:

Kevin Walters insists he will unite the Broncos and restore the club’s winning culture after being appointed head coach for the next two seasons.

The club officially announced his signing on Wednesday and the five-time Broncos premiership winner said it was the realisation of "a dream" 20 years in the making.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/30/walters-named-coach-i-can-unite-broncos-and-return-to-finals-next-year/

My money would be on him not being the Broncos coach in 2 years time.

His limitations as a coach will soon be exposed in the NRL.

Archived