Catalans doing it tough

audois

Getting raps from the game for their efforts to get the game on Friday at Warrington.

Legging it in a convoy of cars from home base to Toulouse to get the flight and arriving home 4am Saturday morning.

Indeed from outset of the competition restarting again in August.

Will be 7 games across the Channel come Wednesday so far- just one in Perpignan since the return.

SL/RFL should especially recognise what they’ve done in 2020.

What about their inappropriate ‘guest status’ to be rid off for a start.

Do Melbourne Storm have such.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

1 minute ago, audois said:

Getting raps from the game for their efforts to get the game on Friday at Warrington.

Legging it in a convoy of cars from home base to Toulouse to get the flight and arriving home 4am Saturday morning.

Will be 7 games across the Channel come Wednesday so far- just one in Perpignan since the return.

Perhaps they could give a powerpoint presentation to Salford, Huddersfield, Castleford, Hull KR, Wakefield, Hull FC et al who can then vote if they are worthy?

15 minutes ago, audois said:

They are full members of SL but guests of the RFL. Probably because they’d have to give up their French Federation membership up to join the RFL. 

23 hours ago, bobbruce said:

They are full members of SL but guests of the RFL. Probably because they’d have to give up their French Federation membership up to join the RFL. 

From the out-set both Catalans and TO playing across the Channel expection was that these clubs had to put a team in Elite 1. Wouldn't that cover them in their relationdhip  with the French Federation?

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

25 minutes ago, audois said:

From the out-set both Catalans and TO playing across the Channel expection was that these clubs had to put a team in Elite 1. Wouldn't that cover them in their relationdhip  with the French Federation?

Have they done that, have they both got a reserve team, not a tie up with another club who they are affiliated with but their own bona fide reserve team?

32 minutes ago, audois said:

I think the guest status in terms of the RFL is a bit of a none story, if it were indeed guest status of Super League Europe I would agree but what does full status of the RFL really matter? Are the NZ Warriors (more pertinent to this then Melbournes relationship) a member of the Aussie RL they are members of the NRL but the ARL?

(I dont know the answers to either whether the full membership of the RFL would really make any difference to them or whether the NZ Warriors are members of the ARL.. so genuine questions).

They should be applauded (as the NZ Warriors have been) for all of their efforts in this. 

42 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Have they done that, have they both got a reserve team, not a tie up with another club who they are affiliated with but their own bona fide reserve team?

Yes in both cases. 

Les Dracs choose to call them St Esteve XIII Catalans, but as I understand it that is a nod to the origins of the current club.  They are described as the 'reserve team' on Les Dracs' website. 

Toulouse look to be calling their Elite 1 side Toulouse Olympique XIII Elite in 2019/20.  It has been signing up players and not just locally.  Matty Ross, said to have debuted with Keighley Cougars in 2010, has joined.  So, too, has Ilias El Fizazi, a Moroccan international in the African Nations Cup last year, who has French club experience, including at Baho and Pia.

The Australian reaction to NZ Warriors’ efforts to keep the NRL season going was superb (and richly deserved). I know Catalans aren’t making sacrifices like that but some acknowledgment from SL and the clubs would be nice, instead of making them pay £50k to charter a plane for every match. 

8 hours ago, audois said:

I haven’t been through it but there’s a good chance the terms and conditions prevent you from being a member of another federation or sporting body. 

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

The Australian reaction to NZ Warriors’ efforts to keep the NRL season going was superb (and richly deserved). I know Catalans aren’t making sacrifices like that but some acknowledgment from SL and the clubs would be nice, instead of making them pay £50k to charter a plane for every match. 

Will acknowledgment from SL and the clubs cover the cost chartering a plane?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

5 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Catalan are scheduled for a run of home games and they are allowed fans. 

Lets hope all teams go over and support the franchise as the income from the fans will offset the cost of the charter flights and level out the losses all round

English clubs should pay for the chartered flights themselves, like Catalans have had to. 

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

These fan conversations about costs is really odd IMHO. Why do fans care about this level of detail? See also the quality of mattress at TWP accommodation and who funds the packed lunch. 

The mattresses were top of the line 'Sealy' and the lunch had numerous various cuts of meat and lots of cheeses...all kinds of cheese.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

The mattresses were top of the line 'Sealy' and the lunch had numerous various cuts of meat and lots of cheeses...all kinds of cheese.

weren't they staying in student accommodation??? at which point i'm not sure we need to go too far down the "mattress" and "cheese" conversation... 🤢

22 minutes ago, RP London said:

weren't they staying in student accommodation??? at which point i'm not sure we need to go too far down the "mattress" and "cheese" conversation... 🤢

No they were in accommodations built for athletes from the Pan Am Games (later transferred to a college).  The food provided was fine and more than adequate.

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

No they were in accommodations built for athletes from the Pan Am Games (later transferred to a college).  The food provided was fine and more than adequate.

to be fair i didnt think it was as strong joke but i thought it would be got.. 

so they were, indeed, student accommodation (george brown college), just becuase that is not what they were built for does not mean they arent student accommodation... then it really revolved around students, cleanliness, proclivity etc etc..  

33 minutes ago, RP London said:

to be fair i didnt think it was as strong joke but i thought it would be got.. 

so they were, indeed, student accommodation (george brown college), just becuase that is not what they were built for does not mean they arent student accommodation... then it really revolved around students, cleanliness, proclivity etc etc..  

If it is good enough for Pan Am athletics then it should be good enough for RL.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

If it is good enough for Pan Am athletics then it should be good enough for RL.

For goodness sake i'm not saying anything against it.. the point is that there is a joke to be made about Students and their cleanliness around mattresses and the mention of Cheese FFS!!!

1 hour ago, Cameron Highlander said:

It absolutely BOGGLES my mind that a perfectly valid thread about Catalans Dragons suddenly morphs into another parry and thrust Toronto Wolfpack thread. Thanks folks.

Correct, the sooner a decision is made whether they are in or out, the better.

Archived