Tues 29th Sept SL : St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 7:45pm SKY

Who will win?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wigan Warriors

Discuss St Helens v Wigan Warriors here.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if both sides were at full strength, St Helens have just looked slicker and more together as a unit than Wigan since lockdown.

Let's hope we see some promising youngsters take their chance to impress, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saints will surely be out to prove the doubters wrong after the cup tie, and what better way to rebuild some confidence than to trounce a Wigan side with their eye on the CC semi? 

Saints by 22 at least, which won’t affect the Wigan mindset for the cup tie.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yeah but 16/1 for Wigan though, seems generous. Plus Salford have a semi too. 

Wigan have made ten changes with four possibly making their debut, one of which is a Saints STH. I suppose Saints off the back of ten days without a game and the inexperience in their squad makes them think Saints will win. 

Salford cannot rotate with the ease that Wigan, Warrington or even Hull could, so they’ll have a full strength squad on show against a much changed Wire side. 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Saints by 50

Possibly. We need to hold onto the ball when we have it, and kick well, to keep this down below that. In any case, it will signify very little in the scheme of things. Tbh, while he is resting at least 10 players, I would not be surprised if he doesn’t rest even more. Lam has no contract for next year, so Saturday’s game is everything for his future. 

Can’t believe that we’ve got this far without mentioning Wigan beating us on the death thanks to a Kevin Brown tie. From memory, it was right after a Cup Semi, Wigan made changes and we persevered with a full squad and looked leggy throughout, when the Semi’s were around Easter. 

I don’t think that’ll happen again but there’s always that doubt in the back of your mind. I think we’ll see a reaction from us, or at least I hope we do. The Warrington game was disappointing. I know we lost by two but you can’t give anyone a lead like that in a cup game at that stage of the competition and expect to come back and win. I think Wigan’s kids will be keen to impress and we all know that their kids are generally decent, so I can’t see the sort of hammering I really hope it will be. 

Irrespective of the result it will be interesting to see how Wigan reserves go.  As the good professor said, everything is relative.

Normally you would not get into the state of having a midweek game before the semi finals.  But these are special times.   But it all suggests to me that next season should truncate the league, 22 to 24 rounds tops and a proper schedule for the CC.  And we should have a good pre season and prepare for the WC.

Archived