Tues 29th Sept SL : St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 7:45pm SKY

Who will win?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wigan Warriors

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

Yes, so no one should complain about tackling round the legs.  

(when will ref send a saints player to the bin for off side)

Meantime, its all very well to have good young players, but you cannot expect a lot from a whole team.

I don't think anyone was complaining about Walmsley tacking around the legs. I think the complaint was that he put all his weight into pushing the joint against its natural angle whilst Wells was being held up. That sort of move is not within the rules.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I’m not sure about Lambs decision to rest so many players, some of these young lads playing for Wigan are not ready! It seems like he’s throwing some of them under a bus just to protect his Semi Final team, surely not the right thing to do.

You dont appreciate the short turn round and then another game on Sat...?

(how come Walmsley was not sin binned there)

Wire did it but were 'only' playing Salford

I wonder which of these Wigan youngsters have played themselves into a chance of more first-team appearances this season?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Professional and efficient. Disappointed we didn't play a bit more expensively considering our dominance tbh. Need to sort out our discipline, too many restarts and penalties again and likely a couple of games off for Walmsley and Lomax. Always good to see a win and especially a nil against Wigan regardless of the team they put out.

Decent showing from their youngsters and I'm sure it'll stand them in good stead for their future careers at Canberra.

I know that they lost, pretty comprehensively, but there's a few players making their debut that I'm really looking forward to seeing more of in the future. I'm sure it won't be too long before we see the likes of Halsall, Borough, Pearce-Paul and Kilner again. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

8 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I don't think anyone was complaining about Walmsley tacking around the legs. I think the complaint was that he put all his weight into pushing the joint against its natural angle whilst Wells was being held up. That sort of move is not within the rules.

All very well.  But are we to have every player have a slide rule?  Its a game of movement and we are demanding pace and size as well.  There are going to be collisions, and we expect to see defenders bring down their opponents.

The argument to me is when players tackle late. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Kai Pearce-Paul is going to be a very decent player in a year or two.

From the Croydon heartlands. Not sure how he'll develop - bulk up for power or stay lanky and evasive?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Moove said:

Professional and efficient. Disappointed we didn't play a bit more expensively considering our dominance tbh. Need to sort out our discipline, too many restarts and penalties again and likely a couple of games off for Walmsley and Lomax. Always good to see a win and especially a nil against Wigan regardless of the team they put out.

Decent showing from their youngsters and I'm sure it'll stand them in good stead for their future careers at Canberra.

The absolute worst thing St Helens could have done is go easy against such inexperienced opposition, and I'm glad they didn't. It will be good for the Wigan kids to experience the kind of class they will be expected to face very soon in their careers.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

All very well.  But are we to have every player have a slide rule?  Its a game of movement and we are demanding pace and size as well.  There are going to be collisions, and we expect to see defenders bring down their opponents.

The argument to me is when players tackle late. 

Sorry, but I don't accept that. Walmsley knew that he didn't have to put all that force into the lads knee, and he didn't need a slide rule to calculate it either.

Terrible tackle, terrible result for Wells, and hopefully a terrible result for Walmsley as well.

50 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I agree.  There are a lot of serious injuries taking place.  But teams put 3 players in the tackle to legitimately slow the ruck. And if you do not grab a leg then we see a player walk 5m with 2 men on your back.

If 2 player's can't stop 1 player in a tackle then they should be embarrassed and not be showing the commitment required to play the game at the top level.

A Saint's win but not a game to remember.

24 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I wonder which of these Wigan youngsters have played themselves into a chance of more first-team appearances this season?

Not only the youngsters I though Bullock stepped up for Wigan with a bit of extra responsibility on him. 

Archived