Cardiff rugby league statues - vote now

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

13 Welsh Rugby league legends have been shortlisted to appear as statues to be erected in Cardiff. Vote for your 3 now! 

https://www.rugbycodebreakers.co.uk/

Well, Jim Sullivan is one obviously. Plus Billy Boston.

I would imagine the other would Roy Francis.

Is it really worth putting up a competition after that?  A 'fourth plinth' might be of interest.

I voted Clive Sullivan, Billy Boston and Roy Francis. But there are some other good choices available.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boston and Risman figure already at Wembley ? If so I went for Clive and Jim Sullivan plus Roy Francis

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

4 minutes ago, audois said:

Boston and Risman figure already at Wembley ? If so I went for Clive and Jim Sullivan plus Roy Francis

Isn't there a Billy Boston statue in Wigan as well? Don't see that it matters though, one of the greatest players of all time and it would be nice if thousands of Welsh people walked past him every day in Cardiff Bay and found out who he is, that would be great for all the players on the list to be fair because I imagine the vast majority of the names are pretty much unknown to the Welsh General public. 

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Isn't there a Billy Boston statue in Wigan as well? Don't see that it matters though, one of the greatest players of all time and it would be nice if thousands of Welsh people walked past him every day in Cardiff Bay and found out who he is, that would be great for all the players on the list to be fair because I imagine the vast majority of the names are pretty much unknown to the Welsh General public. 

This is ths point, its supposed to be in Cardiff and specifically for Welsh RL players.  Limiting it to 3 is a problem.

But in the context of iconic players then the first ought to be Jim Sullivan.  I seem to have read that Sullivan could not afford shoes so went north.  This is the whole ethos of Welsh players going north in a nutshell.   I cannot see how you cannot put Boston on the list. Some very tough decisions after that, but if the criteria is iconography then Roy Francis must be close.  This is hard on Gus Risman and Clive Sullivan. 

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I voted Clive Sullivan, Billy Boston and Roy Francis. But there are some other good choices available.

5 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That's what I went for as well. 

Me too.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Nice to see Johnny Freeman's name in there, he's often a forgotten man, in the 57/58 season he scored 38 tries in the first 20 games and looked likley to challenge Rosenfields 80 tries in a season record and secure a tour place unfortunately he suffed a serious knee injury in December and was out of the game for a year. When he came back he had lost the electric pace that made him such a standout player but still remained a good winger up until retirement in 1967

Of all the more recent converts (i.e. from the age of colour TV), Gerald Cordle seems an unconventional choice. Fine player, but still.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In the overall context of the history of the game Jim Sullivan is arguably the top pick - but it's very very hard and recency bias counts against him I fear.

I went for Sullivan x 2 plus Francis but hard to say in particular Boston and Risman shouldn't be included.

8 hours ago, Damien said:

Sullivan, Boston and Francis for me but a lot of great names on that list.

that is my 3

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Very hard to leave out Clive Sullivan and Gus Risman but I voted for Jim Sullivan, Francis and Boston. Also have some great memories of Johnny Freeman and Colin Dixon. A difficult choice!

And although he was born in Milford Haven, Wattie Davies played all his RU in Cardiff. As a Batley fan it would have been nice to see him on the list!

• 3 weeks later...

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Archived