New Faces.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

There`s another 55k on Fox League for Broncos/Warriors game to add to the FTA figure.

Do we know how the FTA ratings for both games compare to what Nine would otherwise show in those timeslots? It`s those relative numbers that will determine whether Nine continue with NRLW on the main channel in future years.

Just to add something to the debate about the 7s/NRLW interaction. My understanding is that the Aussie women players on the 7s circuit are fully professional. This is not so for women RL players, and won`t be indefinitely. Hence why it`s a mistake for the NRL to indicate that 7s can be a ticket to an NRLW contract in addition to the lure of a full-time 7s career and Olympic participation.

The 123 000 figure included the Fox League figure, therefore 68 000 FTA. Important to note that given the match featured the Warriors this will affect the ratings figures due to their smaller fan base in Oz. Despite that, the FTA figures compared  favourably with the womens cricket one day series. Session one 63 000,  session two 99 000 and 26 000 and 42 000 respectively on Fox. The netball semi final rated 94 000  on FTA and wasn`t on Fox. I haven`t mentioned the other League game the time slot makes it hard to make comparisons

To be honest the rugby sevens just doesn`t get that much publicity,. I read the papers every day and these are the papers that would most likely cover the 7`s and to be frank you just don`t see much of it. Probably around the time of the Olympics there would be more coverage. And as Futtocks said due to their financial constraints these peripheral areas will be the first to feel the pinch as they try to hang onto their top mens players.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

The 123 000 figure included the Fox League figure, therefore 68 000 FTA. Important to note that given the match featured the Warriors this will affect the ratings figures due to their smaller fan base in Oz. Despite that, the FTA figures compared  favourably with the womens cricket one day series. Session one 63 000,  session two 99 000 and 26 000 and 42 000 respectively on Fox. The netball semi final rated 94 000  on FTA and wasn`t on Fox. I haven`t mentioned the other League game the time slot makes it hard to make comparisons

To be honest the rugby sevens just doesn`t get that much publicity,. I read the papers every day and these are the papers that would most likely cover the 7`s and to be frank you just don`t see much of it. Probably around the time of the Olympics there would be more coverage. And as Futtocks said due to their financial constraints these peripheral areas will be the first to feel the pinch as they try to hang onto their top mens players.

The FTA figures I`ve seen are on League Unlimited. They`re listed as the "Nine national average audience".

Roosters/Dragons - 80k (5-city 49/Regional 31)

Broncos/Warriors - 120k (5-city 68/Regional 52)

The Roosters/Dragons didn`t make the Fox top 20, but the Broncos/Warriors did and got 55k. I`ve been assuming that should be added to the Nine figure. Maybe you`ve seen something more reliable.

I`ve just watched Nine`s NRLW show in which Allana Ferguson and Ruan Sims spent the best part of 25 minutes eulogising over the Rugby 7s girls. Much as they did in commentary on Saturday. So at the moment they`re getting the kind of publicity the ARU don`t have the money to buy.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The FTA figures I`ve seen are on League Unlimited. They`re listed as the "Nine national average audience".

Roosters/Dragons - 80k (5-city 49/Regional 31)

Broncos/Warriors - 120k (5-city 68/Regional 52)

The Roosters/Dragons didn`t make the Fox top 20, but the Broncos/Warriors did and got 55k. I`ve been assuming that should be added to the Nine figure. Maybe you`ve seen something more reliable.

I`ve just watched Nine`s NRLW show in which Allana Ferguson and Ruan Sims spent the best part of 25 minutes eulogising over the Rugby 7s girls. Much as they did in commentary on Saturday. So at the moment they`re getting the kind of publicity the ARU don`t have the money to buy.

I wouldn`t get too hung up about the ratings figures just yet. It is only really early days, with a four team comp and all packed into three rounds. Really the whole thing is a bit ridiculous given the above scenario and then playing all the games on one day, one at 11.30 in the morning. Like you said before why not play one before the Sunday game. That for starters would have helped with the St. George vs. Roosters game`s ratings. When we get a nice little 8-10 team comp with high rating teams like Rabbitohs, Cowgirls, Tigerettes (joking -isn`t that awful) and home and away, then we`ll see how it goes.

The aflw averaged 38 000 per match on Foxtel last year.

Your last paragraph, I read it and just shook my head and laughed, what can you say, I don`t get it either. Nuts. What are they thinking, answer: they`re not. You could have shown a 5 minute highlight reel of that New Guinean Girl alone. The winger with the beads in her hair looked like she may have had a bit of New Guinean blood as well. I`ve got a feeling we are going to see a flood of girls from that part of the world join this comp. They are made for it.

It takes me back to a time when I thought you were a Papua New Guinean living in England. I have share housed with Nigerians and Ugandans in my student days, they didn`t follow Rugby league though.

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I wouldn`t get too hung up about the ratings figures just yet. It is only really early days, with a four team comp and all packed into three rounds. Really the whole thing is a bit ridiculous given the above scenario and then playing all the games on one day, one at 11.30 in the morning. Like you said before why not play one before the Sunday game. That for starters would have helped with the St. George vs. Roosters game`s ratings. When we get a nice little 8-10 team comp with high rating teams like Rabbitohs, Cowgirls, Tigerettes (joking -isn`t that awful) and home and away, then we`ll see how it goes.

The aflw averaged 38 000 per match on Foxtel last year.

Your last paragraph, I read it and just shook my head and laughed, what can you say, I don`t get it either. Nuts. What are they thinking, answer: they`re not. You could have shown a 5 minute highlight reel of that New Guinean Girl alone. The winger with the beads in her hair looked like she may have had a bit of New Guinean blood as well. I`ve got a feeling we are going to see a flood of girls from that part of the world join this comp. They are made for it.

It takes me back to a time when I thought you were a Papua New Guinean living in England. I have share housed with Nigerians and Ugandans in my student days, they didn`t follow Rugby league though.

If the "winger with the beads" is the Warriors` Ellia Green, she`s another Aussie 7s "Star". Of Fijian heritage, grew up on the Central Coast.

I`m guessing you weren`t paying much attention to women`s RL prior to this year (I wasn`t before 2017), so you might not know that last year there was a Fiji/PNG Test at Leichardt Oval, or that England toured PNG in November.

The Bulikula beat the Orchids, but with a scoreline that didn`t reflect the game. England beat the Orchids in the first Test in Goroka, but the Orchids levelled the series in Port Moresby in a terrific game settled in the final seconds. That last mentioned was played before the Kumuls/Lions Test, and was broadcast live on the BBC`s red button channel.

The aforementioned Ruan Sims is half Fijian. I like Ruan, just wish she would shut the heck up about Rugby 7s players. 

Ruan was part of the Nine commentary team who missed the 20/50 kick towards the end of the Broncos/Warriors game. However, on today`s magazine show it was cited as a point of interest. So belatedly the penny must have dropped.

That new NRLW Nine lead caller (Matt Something), was guilty of multiple instances of literally not knowing the rules, let alone how they should be applied. Women`s RL at elite level is generally more territorial and strategic than the men`s game. Little things matter. There may be viewers new to RL watching NRLW. It could be a missed opportunity if we have the blind leading the blind on FTA TV.

BTW, fascinating to hear you once lived with Idi Amin. You were wasting your time trying to turn him on to League. He played Ruggerball for Nile RFC in his younger days and was a bit of a social climber.

• 2 weeks later...

The ratings for NRLW are down on the first 2 rounds. Thanks probably to the genius who scheduled dead rubbers for round 3. Great pity since both games were highly watchable.

There was a brilliant long-range Roosters try involving multiple pairs of hands that was rubbed out for a phantom forward pass. If the same move happened in RU, it wouldn`t occur to anybody that there might have been a forward pass. It would just be great play, a great try, all good. Only in League would the best moment of the whole comp be ruined. If I were an RU fan I would laugh my head off at the self-harm League inflicts through it`s compulsive obsession with forward passes and knock-ons.

Archived