putting out weakened teams

59 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Oh its not armageddon dave. Its just some teams taking the pizz with the teams they field in some games as they are prioritising their fixtures. It happens. It's a pizz take but there you go.

If I was a paying speccie (I know we're not), and I was a wigan fan, I could be pizzed off with the team wigan fielded last night. 

As you allude, its not the end of the world. When I realised it wasn't a contest I turned the rugby off and listened to music.

Fielding weekend sides is not a symptom of covid. Its always happened mate

This year is different and we knew this would happen, as we are having midweek games due to the circumstances. This was literally discussed at the restart as a necessity this year.

This is quite different to Saints gifting London 4 points last year.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, LittleboroRoughyed said:

Once l'd seen the line-ups I switched over. One of the glamour ties of SL, one that casual fans may tune in to watch, disrespected. Hopefully Wigan will also lose the semi.

It was disrespected when it was scheduled for a Tuesday evening the few days before the cup semi final. But it was arranged for then because of the unprecedented situation we find ourselves in. 

Just now, Dave T said:

It was disrespected when it was scheduled for a Tuesday evening the few days before the cup semi final. But it was arranged for then because of the unprecedented situation we find ourselves in. 

I think peoples beef seems to be that Wigan’s second team wasn’t as good as Warrington’s second team who fronted up well the game before. 

Last year Wire made the semi finals. In the game before the semi final, they played Cas, they named a full strength team. So did Hull for their game against Leeds the week earlier. So did Halifax. Only Saints rested players in advance of the Cup semi, which was controversial.

Wire and Saints both put strong teams out in advance of the final.

The reason we saw weak teams this week is because of midweek games. The reason we have midweek games is because of Covid.

It's all cool.

I think under normal circumstances, clubs fielding a weakened team is an issue as it has implications on the whole competition. 

I was somewhat a lone voice last year in saying that teams fighting to avoid relegation going into the final round should have a beef with Saints for fielding weakened teams twice against London and losing twice (although I was hoping London would stay up).

This year, with no relegation and a compressed fixture list, this feels less like something to get angry about 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It used to be against the rules, and Saints got fined £25,000 for this in 2002 and again in 2004 (which was overturned). I'm guessing it's not any more.

I had a quick google before this post to double check we were fined and came across this article about it on BBC Sport from many years ago debating the issue.

My favourite comment has to be:

Can I presume that Warrington are fined every week?
Michael Kennedy, Warrington

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/sports_talk/1942229.stm#say

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Last year Wire made the semi finals. In the game before the semi final, they played Cas, they named a full strength team. So did Hull for their game against Leeds the week earlier. So did Halifax. Only Saints rested players in advance of the Cup semi, which was controversial.

Wire and Saints both put strong teams out in advance of the final.

The reason we saw weak teams this week is because of midweek games. The reason we have midweek games is because of Covid.

It's all cool.

I hope Sky are cool with it, given the next TV contract is out to tender as we speak. 

Wigan-Saints is the marquee game in SL right now and Sky were giving it a good build up in the run up, yet it was a damp squib. 

Yes, COVID was ultimately the cause, but I bet when the schedules were agreed back in July no one was thinking this game wouldn't be a proper match up, so Sky are within their rights to be a bit annoyed. Hope it doesn't do any deeper harm. 

10 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I hope Sky are cool with it, given the next TV contract is out to tender as we speak. 

Wigan-Saints is the marquee game in SL right now and Sky were giving it a good build up in the run up, yet it was a damp squib. 

Yes, COVID was ultimately the cause, but I bet when the schedules were agreed back in July no one was thinking this game wouldn't be a proper match up, so Sky are within their rights to be a bit annoyed. Hope it doesn't do any deeper harm. 

Everyone with an interest in Rugby League knew the game was close to the Semi, so both would likely have changed clubs, should they get so far. 

19 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

People overstate the importance of Wigan v Saints, the viewing figures don't back up the level of importance some fans give it, and whilst Sky pretty much always show the game, they even passed on one of the derbies last year. 

There is context around last night's fixtures, and Sky are aware of it. They can also see we are putting on a very good show in very difficult circumstances. 

The idea of fining a club for a weakened team is ridiculous. If the authorities don't think a player is good enough they shouldn't allow that player to be registered. If they are registered, they can be picked.

Very different, of course, from the farcical situation a few years back where some Champ clubs weren't able to name a full matchday 17.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

17 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Not playing your best players. 

surely playing your best players, but them being knackered or injured after 10 minutes due to playing 3/4 days before hand would be just as bad.. 

A tired, lacking in motivation, thinking about the weekend semi final, mentally jaded "top player" is probably worse than playing a youngster who is chomping at the bit to prove himself and is pretty much 100% fit.. 

also isnt it great to see some of the young talent getting chances, something we desperately need to happen to prove you dont need to go and get over the hill antipodeans to be "squad players".

14 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Am i the only one that really enjoyed the game and thought it was really good to see some of "the kids" including young Kai Pearce Paul from Croydon Hurricanes ripping in and giving it a shot, some better than others and arguably not as well as the Wire kids did, but that was also a weaker salford side.. I thought it was a good advert for the next generation and quite entertaining.

6 minutes ago, RP London said:

Am i the only one that really enjoyed the game and thought it was really good to see some of "the kids" including young Kai Pearce Paul from Croydon Hurricanes ripping in and giving it a shot, some better than others and arguably not as well as the Wire kids did, but that was also a weaker salford side.. I thought it was a good advert for the next generation and quite entertaining.

Yeah, I wasn’t really bothered by our game with Wigan. It was always “how many” not “if we win” but the bit I was most excited for was Lewis Dodd getting on. 

Understandable that "weakened" teams are selected.  

Sky have to be happy with it if it doesn't affect viewing figures on the games they show.

I guess if the so called weaken team is made up of players that are in a reserve team and ready to slot up to first team duty no problem.  If its young academy players making up the numbers then its not such a great solution... but maybe the only choice. As I'm sure any club would have fingers crossed no injuries due to miss-match. 

17 hours ago, Dave T said:

Well, life is pretty rubbish at the moment. Can't see family and many friends, haven't seen a work colleague in person for over 6 months, all travel canned, frustrated 4 year old daughter can't do many of her favourite things - personally I'm really grateful that we have RL to watch, and I'm enjoying every second of it. I appreciate the efforts everyone is going to to stage these games and entertain us, making life more bearable. 

Try and lighten up and enjoy it folks. 

100% this

The amount of whinging and moaning ive read from RL ‘fans’ surrounding this season and weakened teams is frankly embarrassing. Life at the moment is proper the one good thing is that we are getting to watch some RL and out of necessity some promising youngsters show what they can do.

The clubs and especially the players are doing their best but it seems just the one step too hard for some people to just enjoy what we have, the alternative would be far far worse.

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

100% this

The amount of whinging and moaning ive read from RL ‘fans’ surrounding this season and weakened teams is frankly embarrassing. Life at the moment is proper the one good thing is that we are getting to watch some RL and out of necessity some promising youngsters show what they can do.

The clubs and especially the players are doing their best but it seems just the one step too hard for some people to just enjoy what we have, the alternative would be far far worse.

whinging, not just RL fans it seems to be a national obsession to whinge about anything and everything nowadays... well certainly a good proportion of the nation...

and yes I do realise I am  whinging about the whinges... chuckle

1 hour ago, RP London said:

I think you are right. I really enjoyed seeing the 'next generation' from Warrington and Wigan and there is some real talent coming through.

As for the results, I thought both did ok... I can't even begin to imagine what the score would have been 30 or so years ago if a close to full strength team from the league leaders played a load of kids on debut. It shows how good the coaching and development pipelines are that these kids can compete against seasoned pros.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I might be alone here but I’d quite welcome more footage, live or otherwise, of Academy and reserve games going forward. I know Saints were planning on it on the Saints TV that was launched this year and I imagine Wigan do this already as I’m sure some of their Academy games are free to watch online already but it might be something for OurLeague maybe. 

I thought the youngsters brought plenty to the game,It were great to see them all getting runout in SL,But all the talk of debuts from commentry team and as thou there molicoddled by there own clubs, If things were normal again half a these lads would still be  farmed out and playing at swinton/rochdale/fax and sheffield on DR.great they stood up but been dropped in deep end too quick can do some harm sometimes,

Archived