Sat 3rd Oct Coral RL Challenge Cup SF : Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors KO 14:30 BBC

Who will win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

The big difference, mainly, today was the way Leeds finished their sets. They finished every set, especially in the first half, pinning Wigan down on their own line in each of the corners. I know from experience what a tough ask it is to start your sets time after time from that position. Compare that to the way Wigan typically ended their sets often with an aimless kick with little to no pressure on the receivers. Disappointing from a Wigan perspective but have to absolutely admire the Leeds game plan and execution, they made Wigan look very ordinary. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, silcoates said:

terrible conditions,leeds playing very well,gale brillliant.But Wigan,it must be the worst performance in the CH.cup for decades. Maurice must be spinning before he reaches his grave. They sold central park [worst move in RL]Wigan and Bradford bulls ,how the mighty have fallen .Where are all the super stars?Never mind SLhas Toronto with all their stars, o no british has beens.

You have covered a lot of ground in that post.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Ullman said:

I just thought the kid's probably got a sense of humour.

Yes but that doesn't fit we me taking the p&ss out of him.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

2 minutes ago, silcoates said:

terrible conditions,leeds playing very well,gale brillliant.But Wigan,it must be the worst performance in the CH.cup for decades. Maurice must be spinning before he reaches his grave. They sold central park [worst move in RL]Wigan and Bradford bulls ,how the mighty have fallen .Where are all the super stars?Never mind SLhas Toronto with all their stars, o no british has beens.

a-sandwich-board-man-warns-us-of-impendi

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another Agar masterclass. I've had a suspicion for a while that this Leeds team, whilst it blows hot and cold, has been under the radar a bit too much given they were the form team pre-lockdown. Whether they can win the final I don't know but we've comfortably beaten both the other semi-finalists this year. But overall just pleased just to see the team back on a more stable footing after three years of chaos.

On Wigan, this really does seal the view that Lam just isn't up to coaching a big club at this level. He can't have long left - the two semi final performances they've made under him have been utterly abysmal.

at least robbie paul educated us in the fact that the longer leeds went on stopping wigan from scoring the more chance they had of winning- any more nuggets of wisdom robbie?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Just can’t see how Leeds beat a comfortably superior Wigan side. Hope it’s a good, competitive game.

Well I don't want to be a Monday morning quarter back and I would never have predicted that 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

at least robbie paul educated us in the fact that the longer leeds went on stopping wigan from scoring the more chance they had of winning- any more nuggets of wisdom robbie?

Have you ever had a single positive thought?

1 hour ago, Helpourgame said:

Once again arrogant officials unwilling to listen, the new ones coming through are beyond belief. At least thaler, hicks try to engage with the players as did bentham, this lot are ruining the game because they are not good enough.

Another arrogant new poster who clearly knows nothing

2 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Well I don't want to be a Monday morning quarter back and I would never have predicted that 

Yeah, like I just said I underestimated this Leeds side.

Clues were there in the pre-match buildup in hindsight. Agar and JJB clearly trained for wet weather rugby. Lam talked about “adjusting”. 

The frustrating thing from a Wigan point of view is that it wasn't an awful performance from us, we were just outplayed. We didn't defend that badly, we defended well at times, but inevitably cracked under the weight of pressure from a Leeds side that completed sets well and didn't make too many errors. We weren't making errors all over the place in attack, we just couldn't punch any holes down the middle so played pretty much the entire game on the back foot, while Leeds dominated with their carries.

In the Super League game where we beat them Leeds were dominant in the pack, made lots of metres down the middle of the field, but Wigan soaked up the pressure and then almost counter attacked - hitting them with a quick try after all that pressure. We've done that against quite a few sides this year. In these conditions we didn't seem to chance our arm. We didn't want to get expansive in attack and given the conditions you can probably see why.

Ultimately though I don't think you can blame the Wigan pack for not making the yards. We don't really have any strong carriers in the side except Bullock, who was okay but pretty much all Leeds had to cope with. Havard is a smart ball carrier and can make a difference but was off after 20 minutes. Ultimately though this is just what you get from Wigan. Farrell, Isa, Shorrocks, Partington -  they aren't blockbusting runners who can storm down the middle, so if Wigan try to play a tight game and match the other team it almost inevitably fails. See the Playoff Semi Final against Salford as evidence. A tight must win game that was played mostly down the middle and we were completely outplayed.

Leeds played the conditions perfectly, are far more dominant down the middle, and just put us under pressure and didn't let go. The only player we could bring off the bench to try to chance things was Smith. In those conditions it seems an oversight not to bring him on sooner but I doubt it would have made that much of a difference. We just had no forward dominance to match Leeds who were by far the better team.

4 minutes ago, wiganlad said:

Awful performance. The days of having world class players are a distant memory and too reliant on trying to make a team on the cheap 

Credit to Leeds though.

Their desire meant any team not quite at the races was going to struggle.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Well done Leeds from a Wigan fan. A very smart performance. Good luck in the final.

I would hope this is the signal for Wigan to move on from Lam, O'Loughlin, Leuluai, Flower, etc. If realistic, Clubb,  Burgess (prop), Isa and Clark can also go in the hope of recruiting big, powerful forwards and the odd dynamic back.

3 minutes ago, wiganlad said:

Awful performance. The days of having world class players are a distant memory and too reliant on trying to make a team on the cheap 

bang on post- if things were like they are now back then you would never have seen botica tuigamala offiah gene miles etc etc ever play for wigan 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Credit to Leeds, they played the conditions brilliantly and totally dominated us. An excellent example of wet weather rugby from Leeds. It spoke volumes when the first half stats showed that we hadn't had a single play the ball in Leeds' 20. Just as in the playoff semi final last year against Salford we never got going at any stage as we were never allowed to by a dominant and much better opponent.

Hopefully Salford v Warrington will be a better contest. Good luck to Leeds and whoever joins them at Wembley.

Outstanding from Leeds. Amazed that Noble & Wilkin spent all half time without even mentioning Kruise Leeming who was superb.

In fairness the whole Leeds team were very good and their forwards absolutely dominated the Wigan pack. Nobody seems to have noticed but this Leeds team have a very tough defence also.

Having watched Leeds play superbly twice against Hull KR and Wigan making hard work of Wakefield I was confident enough to back Leeds at 15/8 and my investment never looked like costing me. Leeds are a great bet to win the cup now.

It's probably foolish to write off Wigan but I can't see past Saints, Wire and Leeds for the Super League title.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Another Agar masterclass. I've had a suspicion for a while that this Leeds team, whilst it blows hot and cold, has been under the radar a bit too much given they were the form team pre-lockdown. Whether they can win the final I don't know but we've comfortably beaten both the other semi-finalists this year. But overall just pleased just to see the team back on a more stable footing after three years of chaos.

On Wigan, this really does seal the view that Lam just isn't up to coaching a big club at this level. He can't have long left - the two semi final performances they've made under him have been utterly abysmal.

Lam has lost every big game we have played. Great effort from Leeds though. Classy performance. 

Archived