Sat 3rd Oct Coral RL Challenge Cup SF : Salford Red Devils v Warrington Wolves KO 17:00 BBC

Who will win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A big well done for Salford last night, Ian Watson is doing a fantastic job there. As for the final I understand everyone will be rooting for Salford I just hope it's a great game.

I'm pleased for Salford.  They seem to have discovered how to use Kevin Brown to best advantage, and now he'll have another chance to play on a major stage.  Everything good Salford did yesterday involved Kevin Brown at some point.   Luke Robinson (who played with him at the Giants) showed in commentary, how highly he regards Kevin.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

16 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

When people were asking how Hastings would do at Wigan, I did say that it would depend on the Wigan coaching staff. If they let him play his own game, he would be brilliant, but if they tie him in to the Wigan structures, he would struggle. Those Wigan structures have been great for the team over the last few decades, but they don't suit the cavalier that is Jackson Hastings.

From what I have seen of him recently and in interviews he looks unhappy and that is what Watson probably realized that the key to getting the best out of him and to keep him on the right path off the field is keeping him happy. It would be a shame if it was all to go awry.

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

From what I have seen of him recently and in interviews he looks unhappy and that is what Watson probably realized that the key to getting the best out of him and to keep him on the right path off the field is keeping him happy. It would be a shame if it was all to go awry.

I am not sure I buy into the narrative that suggests ex Salford players fall into terminal playing decline and a deep depression on leaving the club. Hastings’ former half back partner seemed pretty settled as he took us to the cleaners yesterday. In reverse, which is perhaps more relevant to this particular thread, I was pleased to see Sarg, Mossop and Brown all playing well. They are good lads as well as good players. Sarg in particular is made to play full back, and was pretty much our best player at Old Trafford in that position before leaving for the Titans. 

Obviously disappointed as a Wire fan but delighted for Salford and their supporters. Felt particularly sorry for Matty Ashton—- a couple of errors don’t detract from his performances this season—- he’s been a breath of fresh air and hope Steve Price keeps the faith with him. Our pack seemed a little undersized and it’s been a while since Daz Clark was mostly ineffective and I continually scratch my head at the under using of big Akouala—- not even on the bench for this one . Take BMM out of the squad and I can’t see any of our forwards creating much havoc—— good luck for the final Salford 

14 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I am not sure I buy into the narrative that suggests ex Salford players fall into terminal playing decline and a deep depression on leaving the club. Hastings’ former half back partner seemed pretty settled as he took us to the cleaners yesterday. In reverse, which is perhaps more relevant to this particular thread, I was pleased to see Sarg, Mossop and Brown all playing well. They are good lads as well as good players. Sarg in particular is made to play full back, and was pretty much our best player at Old Trafford in that position before leaving for the Titans. 

There is a huge difference between Lui at 30+ here with his family and Hastings, at 24 with no family here. Jackson has written at length about his mental health. Salford as a small club were able to help him with Blease having him round every week for tea.

Having said that, Wigan have  very talented pivots and are restricting their flair. Hastings best plays were more off the cuff.

6 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

There is a huge difference between Lui at 30+ here with his family and Hastings, at 24 with no family here. Jackson has written at length about his mental health. Salford as a small club were able to help him with Blease having him round every week for tea.

Having said that, Wigan have  very talented pivots and are restricting their flair. Hastings best plays were more off the cuff.

That is supposition, and I would suggest that the way Wigan have worked with, say, Zak Hardaker, who left a smaller club (and bigger ones) to join us shows we have due regard for the all round well being of our players off the pitch. As for whether he is coached well, or being properly utilised on the pitch, that’s a different story. 

18 hours ago, Clogiron said:

if you look a bit further afield, it isn't uncommon during superleague for wigan to sign decent halfbacks from elsewhere, and not utilize them to the best of their abilities, or ask them to play completely differently

smith (tony)

clinch

moran

orr and now hastings

3 hours ago, Red Willow said:

That's why he was all but completely anonymous playing for GB last Autumn under Bennett, and will be no good under Mr Wane for England.

I have to make a comment about the Willows in the 1970's when Salford were decent, but the Willows looked like a swamp. If you watch the 1975 Floodlit Final there, you cannot recognise one team from another. Maybe the history helped them on Saturday?

Station Road was always looking like a bowling Green of course (& not Bramleys)

9 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

BBC: Salford into First Final since 1969.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54330813

I think they won the Floodlight trophy, a Lancashire Cup, and Reached a John Player Trophy & Premiership final since then. Not that I am biased against either the BBC or the Pinks

A Division Two Premiership final. Tex Evans with his flowing locks.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

When was the last time Salford won in St Helens? I think it was about 30 years before the weekend. 

I think you are getting hold of the wrong end of the Schtick. I am glad for my home town team, but I hope Leeds hammer them. Remember I am Blue & White Lion.

All I have said all along is that Salford was the only team of the Super League teams, and half the Championship, not to play at Wembley in the last 50 years. Now it is Swinton's time, we have never played at Wembley, despite getting to the final in 1932, then the RFL (as usual), had a policy change without telling anybody before the competition started.

11 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Million Pound Final Game @ HKR

And last years Grand Final @ Old Trafford doesn't count either, does it?

No. Not when discussing very specifically the Challenge Cup final.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

27 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A Division Two Premiership final. Tex Evans with his flowing locks.

I think they also won the National Rail trophy the year they won the Championship grand final. 

It was a tough trophy to win too.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

I have to make a comment about the Willows in the 1970's when Salford were decent, but the Willows looked like a swamp. If you watch the 1975 Floodlit Final there, you cannot recognise one team from another. Maybe the history helped them on Saturday?

Station Road was always looking like a bowling Green of course (& not Bramleys)

Despite the pitch Salford were a side that played attractive open Rugby in the seventies.As a Fev supporter i always looked forward to a trip to The Willows.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

I think you are getting hold of the wrong end of the Schtick. I am glad for my home town team, but I hope Leeds hammer them. Remember I am Blue & White Lion.

All I have said all along is that Salford was the only team of the Super League teams, and half the Championship, not to play at Wembley in the last 50 years. Now it is Swinton's time, we have never played at Wembley, despite getting to the final in 1932, then the RFL (as usual), had a policy change without telling anybody before the competition started.

That was due to Wembley being unavailable because an England v Scotland soccer international on the scheduled date and the following weekend being unavailable as it was within 7 days of the FA Cup final and the pitch could not be used so close to that game (an agreement between Wembley and the FA). RFL had no choice but to play up north. Stinking bad luck on Swinton's part though as they made a succession of finals up to 1928 only to never get to another except that 1932 final at Central Park (Oldham did the same as Swinton but have never made a Challenge Cup final since 1927).

A GF appearance and now Wembley says Salford are actually a very well run club with an astute coach and director (Watson/Blease), their team is full of talented individuals such as Inu, Watkins, Lolohea etc and its an absolute shame about the current climate as they would probably be averaging 5000+ in attendances just now.

Archived