Sat 3rd Oct Coral RL Challenge Cup SF : Salford Red Devils v Warrington Wolves KO 17:00 BBC

Who will win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In SL years Salford have won 4 Championship grand finals (2  in successive years ) 2 Rail cups. One season playing Leigh about 7 times along the way to win the cup grand final and promotion.

Also Reached the CC semi twice and a SL grand final.  

10 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

That is not what the headline says.

Challenge Cup: Salford Red Devils 24-22 Warrington Wolves - Salford into first final since 1969

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Despite the pitch Salford were a side that played attractive open Rugby in the seventies. As a Fev supporter I always looked forward to a trip to The Willows.

In the 70's they did, that's what I was brought up on, but by 1978 they were a tired side going through the motions, with "Old", expired men not being replaced, and I could see them dissolving.

Whereas Swinton were talent scouting, signing good young players for the future, playing exciting non-stop rugby league, on a superb pitch that didn't have a river flowing through it. That's why instead of going 400m to a home game, I travelled 4.5km walking my dog instead. Ian Watson was a Swinton Player & Coach, maybe that's where he got his philosophy from. Buy them cheap & desperate, kick their butts, sell them on for a profit. He is a Swinton Lad.

Some people said they trained too hard on The Willows, but they had a training facility at Davyhulme, where Salford Technical College used to play (Now Davyhulme FC), they had training facilities better than anyone in the RFL or NSWRL. Weight rooms, cardio-vascular appointments, breathing monitoring, separate smoking areas with non in the changing rooms. OMG, those tiny changing rooms at the Willows, 4 luke warm showers per team, compared to a huge changing room, and a deep plunge team bath at Station Road.

That North Stand dominated the horizon for miles around, it could be seen from Man Utd's ground (Whatever it's called)

I Played at the Willows, Station Rd., Davyhulme, Fartown, Hilton Park, and the best facilities were at Davyhulme

Salford in the 70's had 

David Watkins - ex Wales & British Lions RU Captain

Chris Hesketh - Captain of GB

Paul Charlton - Scorer of the most tries in a Season 33, from Full Back

David Watkins _ Record number of Rugby League Goals in a season 221

Keith Fielding - Winner of Superstars

Colin Dixon, Mike Coulman, Steve Nash, Eric Prescott.

Since then:................?

Jackson Hastings - An Outlaw from NRL?

(OK, there are a few they have discovered and sold away, Sneyd to HFC, Murdoch-Masilla, and Ratchford to Wire) Can you imagine if those 4 were committed to Salford over the last 5 years, how much damage they could do in an already empty  AJ Bell Stadium, wasting money now that Sale ShArks have been contaminated.

Yo Bleep

Yes I remember the Deep Plunge Bath and also what Paul Armitage did therein.  I was involved at Swinton at the time but do not agree all Lion fans were anti Salford.  Sure Big Eric was agin - well he was agin every club and no Referees had Parents but I am saddened that you will be shouting for the Rhinos not your hometwon club.

You forget the game, it is not about individual muscle anymore, it is about team work, and I think Ian Watson learnt about that at Swinton.

All you Superleague monkeys go on about signing big NRL names, or big budget rubbish who don't settle in RFL, or NRL, or NZRL (Which is where I wanted to be), But there are hundreds of good Championship players who will help you out next year.

Ian Watson, looks to the future, if he won't, I will.

Championship, there are plenty of Championship 1 Players you have been scouting

Championship 1. Will be dead in 2021 Unless you do something this MONTH!

25 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Salford in the 70's had 

David Watkins - ex Wales & British Lions RU Captain

Chris Hesketh - Captain of GB

Paul Charlton - Scorer of the most tries in a Season 33, from Full Back

David Watkins _ Record number of Rugby League Goals in a season 221

Keith Fielding - Winner of Superstars

Colin Dixon, Mike Coulman, Steve Nash, Eric Prescott.

Since then:................?

Jackson Hastings - An Outlaw from NRL?

(OK, there are a few they have discovered and sold away, Sneyd to HFC, Murdoch-Masilla, and Ratchford to Wire) Can you imagine if those 4 were committed to Salford over the last 5 years, how much damage they could do in an already empty  AJ Bell Stadium, wasting money now that Sale ShArks have been contaminated.

I still haven't got over Stevie Nash signing for Salford!!!!😔

4 hours ago, wiganermike said:

That was due to Wembley being unavailable because an England v Scotland soccer international on the scheduled date and the following weekend being unavailable as it was within 7 days of the FA Cup final and the pitch could not be used so close to that game (an agreement between Wembley and the FA). RFL had no choice but to play up north. Stinking bad luck on Swinton's part though as they made a succession of finals up to 1928 only to never get to another except that 1932 final at Central Park (Oldham did the same as Swinton but have never made a Challenge Cup final since 1927).

Stop putting those conspiracy theories to bed 😀

3 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Nashy and Newlove were Fevs greatest loss but we needed the money.However about three seasons later we were skint again.

Newlove was a brilliant player, and a genuinely great bloke having met him a few times. But he still definitely didn't get the ball down to score that try at Old Trafford against town.

I wasn't planning on watching this game because I'd watched the first SF and I thought probably one game on Saturday would be enough for me. However, I did watch it and I'm glad I did. It was a good game. Congratulations to Salford.

I was especially excited about seeing Ashton at fullback, because he looked a talented prospect in the pre-match clips and I'd never seen or heard of him before. I thought he did well in patches, but I also thought he made a few notable defensive errors too. I definitely thought he should have done better for that first try, even though the ball was bouncing awkwardly. Do people think he has the potential to be a good player for England? He is English, yes?

3 hours ago, SL17 said:

@GUBRATS Should have Wire taken the two or gone for it?

No idea , I'd been invited to the pub by some Wigan ' friends ' , and obviously once they'd been eliminated they lost interest immediately , and we ended up with the footy on , so haven't seen it unfortunately

I have read the articles that look into why Wolves and Warriors lost. They're about as useful as Quincy at a real autopsy.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/57179/kevin-brown-looking-forward-to-wembley-trip?dm_i=5PCB,3ALB,8IXQU,D4L3,1

"We'll go there with energy, enthusiasm and have some FUN!"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived