NRL Match Thread Finals Week 1 - Sunday : Souths v Knights

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summary:

J. Mansour 16, N. Cleary 22, N. Cleary 27, N. Cleary 37, S. Crichton 49 Tries J. Morris 6, F. Lussick 9, J. Tedesco 53, J. Morris 64, A. Crichton 79
N. Cleary 23, N. Cleary 28, N. Cleary 39, N. Cleary 51 Conversions K. Flanagan 7, K. Flanagan 54, K. Flanagan 65, K. Flanagan 79
N. Cleary 78 Field Goals

The only downside is that we don't get to enjoy watching this tremendous Panthers side next weekend. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Graham changed the title to NRL Match Thread Finals Week 1 - Fantastic first game!

What a great game,thought Panthers had thrown it away a couple of times and still trying to get my head around spurning a kickable penalty to set up for a drop goal! Despite my previous reservations these Panther's can go all the way this year and achieve it with some exciting, entertaining Rugby.

Now that was Rugby League at its very best.

I am preaching to the converted to the people on the Australian forum but everyone in the world should watch the NRL and for the life of me I don't know why some Rugby League fans refuse to (by pretending it is boring and played by robots).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

48 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Now that was Rugby League at its very best.

I am preaching to the converted to the people on the Australian forum but everyone in the world should watch the NRL and for the life of me I don't know why some Rugby League fans refuse to (by pretending it is boring and played by robots).

It just doesn’t get better than that. Not every game can match that.

There’s a big pool of talent in the NRL. One of the best aspects is that every year new young players are blooded and many turn out to be not just talented prospects, but thrilling to watch as they are. 
Look also at the strength in depth. There’s a stack of top class full backs for example.

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Summary:

J. Mansour 16, N. Cleary 22, N. Cleary 27, N. Cleary 37, S. Crichton 49 Tries J. Morris 6, F. Lussick 9, J. Tedesco 53, J. Morris 64, A. Crichton 79
N. Cleary 23, N. Cleary 28, N. Cleary 39, N. Cleary 51 Conversions K. Flanagan 7, K. Flanagan 54, K. Flanagan 65, K. Flanagan 79
N. Cleary 78 Field Goals

10 tries in such a high quality match, you just couldn`t ask for more, well maybe Morris finding someone on the inside at the death there, that would have been Broncos vs. Cowboy GF material. Back from the dead. 

It`s so typical RL though isn`t it , you have a stinker of a day in the press and then you turn on a game like that. Three cheers to the players.

Would love to see this Panthers side win the GF, but have a feeling they might just fall short.

Was watching this game with a fair amount of envy. Maybe one day we'll replicate it in SL.

Panthers v Raiders would be the perfect final for me.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Preview:

Raiders: The top squad has returned. Second-rower John Bateman (elbow), fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad (ribs), winger Jordan Rapana (knee) and halfback George Williams (head knock) have recovered from minor injuries and will play.

Centre Jarrod Croker, five-eighth Jack Wighton, second-rower Elliott Whitehead, prop Josh Papalii and lock Joe Tapine are also back after a rest. Forwards Hudson Young and Corey Harawira-Naera have gone to the bench alongside Sia Soliola and Siliva Havili.

Kai O'Donnell, Darby Medlyn, Jarrett Subloo and the injured Ryan Sutton (knee) have dropped off the interchange. The Raiders have averaged 30 points per game over the past seven rounds.

O'Donnell and Michael Oldfield were the first two omitted from the reserves 24 hours before kick-off.

Sharks: Halfback Chad Townsend will return from suspension with winger Sione Katoa (leg) and centre Josh Dugan (knee) will come back from minor injuries. Hooker Blayke Brailey, lock Toby Rudolf and bench forward Siosifa Talakai are also back after a rest.

With Townsend in the team, Wade Graham has returned to the back row from five-eighth, while Scott Sorensen has dropped to the bench and Nene Macdonald, Mawene Hiroti, Teig Wilton, Billy Magoulias and Daniel Vasquez are all out.

John Morris on Friday said he expected to run out 1-17. The Sharks have won six of their past seven games at GIO Stadium.

Braydon Trindall and Bryson Goodwin were the first two players cut from the squad on Friday.

Canberra rested almost their entire first grade side last weekend and still beat the Sharks team they will face again in Saturday's elimination final.

Add to that the fact the Sharks haven't beaten another top-eight side all season and the form line isn't great for John Morris's team.

But, such is the nature of sport, Cronulla will enter Saturday's elimination final at GIO Stadium knowing a fast start will boost their confidence levels and put some doubt in the minds of a Raiders side widely expected to win.

Canberra's 14-6 record during the home-and-away season meant they only missed out on a top-four finish on account of points differential.

Superlatively fantastic match .  It’s a good job I’m in peak condition or I may not have got to the end . Never seen  Trent Robinson so fired up , that was something. I think both will take heart from that and I have no doubt now , away from their home turf , that The Roosters will beat The Panthers if they meet again 

• Graham changed the title to NRL Match Thread Finals Week 1 - Saturday: Raiders v Sharks, Storm v Eels

I fear this is the end of the road for the Sharkies in their second year under John Morris. Despite the fans pages mixing their feelings for the continuance of his position (many expect to see Flanagan back in 2022), I think he has done a fabulous job in two years. Navigating a reduced salary cap, leading a team that has been crippled with injuries for two years now and a team of players that he never had influence of signing. 

My hope is that today, we keep within 10. My brain says otherwise and that’s why I punted on the Raiders w 11+ 😂

🇧🇼🦈👍

Tapine wrestles his way over the line for the Raiders, in their first chance to play in the opposition half.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived