2021 New Kit Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, M j M said:

I don't hate this but...

AWAY%20SHIRT%2021%20A%20(1).jpg

This owl thing?

I've read the press release (and what a game of bullshyt bingo that is, there's someone who is fleecing Wigan for huge amounts of money churning out tedious stuff full of phrases like, "takes inspiration from", "iconic", "pays tribute to") but I just don't know why you'd splodge it randomly around the shirt - and it's especially puzzling why you'd effectively introduce a competing logo in the same year you are trying to bed in your own new logo of a similar design.

Oh jesus its not the actual badge?? That's trash😂😂😂

17 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I quite like the idea, but when you are pushing a new brand out seems utterly bizarre to put a similar looking badge as the new one all over the shirt.

It really does seem odd doesn't it... for all the talk of clear vision and brand identity 

12 hours ago, M j M said:

Or just one in the corner somewhere - but we've seen that Wigan this year are taking a very cheap production option of the fabric pattern not being tailored to each shirt so the pattern is by necessity random from one shirt to another.

To have a fabric pattern exactly the same on all jerseys would incur a huge additional cost. Fabric patterns are cut from a very large roll of fabric. To maximise usage and save unnecessary costs you cram as many cut patterns into the fabric as possible. 

As much as I dislike what Wigan have done this year, in this instance Hummel aren't doing anything every other decent sized and sensible brand would do in the same situation. 

From a sustainability point of view it's also important not to create additional waste.

The Northern Soul link is seriously cheesy IMO, and a vain attempt at trying to appear cool to some. Create a small lifestyle capsule collection celebrating the link, yes, put it on the playing shirt?.. no.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

14 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

To have a fabric pattern exactly the same on all jerseys would incur a huge additional cost. Fabric patterns are cut from a very large roll of fabric. To maximise usage and save unnecessary costs you cram as many cut patterns into the fabric as possible. 

Yeah, I get that and know why they've done it.

But it also means that if they ever want to go back to irregular hoops with the hoops in the same place on each shirt they'd incur a commensurate cost increase?

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Hull have announced that our current sponsor Atropa has signed a new 3 year deal to be the main sponsor. Great to see a bit of consistency with the sponsor after us on here saying about clubs changing sponsors so often these days. 

That’s good. Annoys me when clubs have different sponsors every year. Wonder who their kit supplier will be?

33 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

That’s good. Annoys me when clubs have different sponsors every year. Wonder who their kit supplier will be?

Don't know who the kit supplier is yet, all we know is we aren't with ISC but that's obvious seen as they have pulled out of the UK market. Seems others have gone with hummel or oxen. If it had to be one of them I would much prefer hummel. 

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Yeah, I get that and know why they've done it.

But it also means that if they ever want to go back to irregular hoops with the hoops in the same place on each shirt they'd incur a commensurate cost increase?

Different techniques. Creating Hoops or stripes is just a yarn dye. There is an element of wastage, but it's a cheaper process than printing in the way the Wigan shirt would have been.

The benefit, or even a selling point, of this process, is that by default every single jersey is unique.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

9 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Having read the inspiration behind the shirt I actually think its pretty cool... Up the Northern Soul! 😄 

spacer.png

This is the sort of thing you'd muck around with for a charity shirt or for Magic though, isn't it?

A one-off bit of designer fun.

It just looks completely out of place here.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 hours ago, Moove said:

What's with the repeating badge all over the shirt? And is that an owl in the middle of them rather than the warrior from the main badge?

Somebody needed to stop them once they'd done the two-tone blue stripes.

is it the same idea as repeating the same thing over and over again and eventually people will believe you? eventually people will find the badge palatable... 

Is it a different shade of blue on the shirt again as well  (they had 2 to pick and it looks like a 3rd shade) or is it just my eyes??

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

This is the sort of thing you'd muck around with for a charity shirt or for Magic though, isn't it?

A one-off bit of designer fun.

It just looks completely out of place here.

I think that's right, maybe using the owl on a leisure range that maybe appeals to those who prefer the cooler NS scene than wearing a rugby club logo. 

It's bizarre, and horrible as a logo just splodge all over a shirt. 

I don't mind the actual shirt as an away shirt, and the new main logo is fine. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I think that's right, maybe using the owl on a leisure range that maybe appeals to those who prefer the cooler NS scene than wearing a rugby club logo. 

It's bizarre, and horrible as a logo just splodge all over a shirt. 

I don't mind the actual shirt as an away shirt, and the new main logo is fine. 

Yup - without that bizarre extra detailing, the shirt is absolutely fine as an alternative. Quite nice in fact.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived