2021 New Kit Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Badge is for digital and social media apparently but they keep the crest for the shirts.

Slightly odd ngl but I suppose they're not rebranding.

Yeah I was expecting a new badge on their shirt. Can’t see the point in having 2 badges

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Utterly bizarre, either do it or don’t, having one brand for SM and another brand for elsewhere is just daft. At least Wigan and Salford are fully committed with tgeir new brands.

I understand having a simplified version for SM profile pictures etc but to have a completely different brand...

48 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Yeah I was expecting a new badge on their shirt. Can’t see the point in having 2 badges

It is weird. Though there is some precedence with Rangers and Liverpool.

I suppose they're not contrasting particularly. Both the same colour and name. I would hope they did just stick to the crest on the kits and the new one for everything else though

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

It is weird. Though there is some precedence with Rangers and Liverpool.

I suppose they're not contrasting particularly. Both the same colour and name. I would hope they did just stick to the crest on the kits and the new one for everything else though

Just seems bizarre as the ‘giant’ is totally different, I can understand if the crest on the shirt had more detail but the same Character on it, The new Giants badge is IMO probably the best designed of these new character badges they should just go with it

When I am benign dictator of this land it will be the law that if your home colours are dark then your alternate must be light.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Just been on the Giants website and they're using the new badge.

I have a feeling the new kit with old badge is a mix up. And may be changed.

They mixed up on the SL logo, as well as the collar arrangement between the mock ups so it is possible.

Yeah the whole digital only logo and a separate one for the kit only makes sense if one's a traditional badge. You can't have two separate versions of a Giant without it looking like a mistake. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

18 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

They mixed up on the SL logo, as well as the collar arrangement between the mock ups so it is possible.

Yeah the whole digital only logo and a separate one for the kit only makes sense if one's a traditional badge. You can't have two separate versions of a Giant without it looking like a mistake. 

Just noticed the old super league logo....  it's either a rehashed jersey from years ago... or they must have got "Debbie" from accounting to sign off on the kit.

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Just seems bizarre as the ‘giant’ is totally different, I can understand if the crest on the shirt had more detail but the same Character on it, The new Giants badge is IMO probably the best designed of these new character badges they should just go with it

I mean they've got the one they've used for training gear too which is just the giant with "GIANTS" underneath too.

It is a bit confusing but isn't the worst

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I mean they've got the one they've used for training gear too which is just the giant with "GIANTS" underneath too.

It is a bit confusing but isn't the worst

Forgot they have a training badge. Have a different badge for every context, it's marketing 101. Brand un-uniformity.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Forgot they have a training badge. Have a different badge for every context, it's marketing 101. Brand un-uniformity.

I do get that, but they are all the same colour/theme and at least in the UK are uniquely "Giants". I haven't actually seen any of their 2021 off field stuff yet so maybe they'll have the new one on there too?

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I do get that, but they are all the same colour/theme and at least in the UK are uniquely "Giants". I haven't actually seen any of their 2021 off field stuff yet so maybe they'll have the new one on there too?

I can get my head around the training one, it's a badge they use for training and leisurewear and it's based on the actual logo so it's not totally crazy.

It's just introducing a third one into the mix based on a different rendering of a Giant that's the issue. It smacks of they got this branding agency in to do them a new logo, they didn't like it but they've paid for it now so they're going to use it where they can. 

2 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I can get my head around the training one, it's a badge they use for training and leisurewear and it's based on the actual logo so it's not totally crazy.

It's just introducing a third one into the mix based on a different rendering of a Giant that's the issue. It smacks of they got this branding agency in to do them a new logo, they didn't like it but they've paid for it now so they're going to use it where they can. 

I agree to an extent. Clearly Elstone a year ago set several clubs targets they needed to improve on. 

For several it seems digital friendly branding was one of them. The TRL report on the Huddersfield badge suggests they won't be the last to reveal new branding for example. Maybe this is just a tickbox exercise from that perspective. Considering the confines it is to be used in, ie twitter profile photos, the super league table icons on Sky, its not that bad and does the job it needs to. Claret and Gold, Giants. Huddersfield and Rugby League, especially the "Birthplace of Rugby League" is a lot to fit in.

14 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Just been on the Giants website and they're using the new badge.

I have a feeling the new kit with old badge is a mix up. And may be changed.

No, in the Giants press release they said the new badge is for digital and social media whilst the shirts will retain the crest. How long that will last who knows.

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree to an extent. Clearly Elstone a year ago set several clubs targets they needed to improve on. 

For several it seems digital friendly branding was one of them. The TRL report on the Huddersfield badge suggests they won't be the last to reveal new branding for example. Maybe this is just a tickbox exercise from that perspective. Considering the confines it is to be used in, ie twitter profile photos, the super league table icons on Sky, its not that bad and does the job it needs to. Claret and Gold, Giants. Huddersfield and Rugby League, especially the "Birthplace of Rugby League" is a lot to fit in.

Yeah just read about that, it says at least 9 clubs. They can't all be doing it this season based on the number of kits that have been revealed so far. Unless a lot of them are going to do what Huddersfield have done and split it. 

League Express this week suggested I think nine clubs have agreed to have a go around on their branding (i've binned the one I read but think it was that many).

So there will be more of this stuff to celebrate/demolish in due course.

Close to home I'd be very surprised if Leeds considered a rebrand a priority, especially given it's Elstone suggesting it and given the 2021 kits are out now.

38 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No, in the Giants press release they said the new badge is for digital and social media whilst the shirts will retain the crest. How long that will last who knows.

Which is fine, we do simplified versions for digital all the time, however it is always a simplified version of the actual brand not a completely different logo, it’s just half hearted, especially when the new logo is actually far better than the crappy crest they are using, then throw in a different version for training wear

4 minutes ago, M j M said:

League Express this week suggested I think nine clubs have agreed to have a go around on their branding (i've binned the one I read but think it was that many).

So there will be more of this stuff to celebrate/demolish in due course.

Close to home I'd be very surprised if Leeds considered a rebrand a priority, especially given it's Elstone suggesting it and given the 2021 kits are out now.

As naff and dated as the Rhinos badge is it does have quite a lot of brand equity, it could do with a bit of a refresh but not a total redesign, especially as it probably ticks all the boxes for Elstones brand vision anyway.

5 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Yeah just read about that, it says at least 9 clubs. They can't all be doing it this season based on the number of kits that have been revealed so far. Unless a lot of them are going to do what Huddersfield have done and split it. 

Indeed. Salford, Wigan, Huddersfield already, who else?

Leeds, Saints and Catalans, particularly the former two, might put their feet down on this issue as an anti-Elstone point and have already released 2021 shirts. Hull KR too have produced 2021 shirts with the same badge.

Hull FC on their home shirt have a heritage badge this year, perhaps leaving a window open for freshen up?

Warrington only recently had a redesign (by the same company as Salford's incidentally). 

Wakefield's just needs a bit more professionally doing imo. It's a good basis to start from.

Cas just needs modernising. 

Catalans have just updated their website and the existing branding remains. 

You would have thought that a refresh of the site would coincide with a change of logo. 

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

Archived