2021 New Kit Thread

34 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Your avatar suggests otherwise 😉

Beat me to it!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

As naff and dated as the Rhinos badge is it does have quite a lot of brand equity, it could do with a bit of a refresh but not a total redesign, especially as it probably ticks all the boxes for Elstones brand vision anyway.

I dread and pray for the day Leeds do a badge/branding update in equal measure! 

I think it's comfortably 10 years+ out of date but completely agree that branding holds a lot of value. No issue with the 'Rhinos' moniker staying, but would like to see the rhino used more subtly (a bit of a paradox I know)  on any future badge redesign.

22 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I dread and pray for the day Leeds do a badge/branding update in equal measure! 

I think it's comfortably 10 years+ out of date but completely agree that branding holds a lot of value. No issue with the 'Rhinos' moniker staying, but would like to see the rhino used more subtly (a bit of a paradox I know)  on any future badge redesign.

spacer.png

Looks like someone has already had a go at it (lifted from Google when looking to see if any clubs elsewhere had already gone down the 'subtle Rhino' route)*

*Things you never thought you'd write in life. The things RL does to us, eh?!

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

spacer.png

Looks like someone has already had a go at it (lifted from Google when looking to see if any clubs elsewhere had already gone down the 'subtle Rhino' route)*

I don’t hate it but I also think it shows the difficulty anyone will have in trying to “fix” a badge and brand that isn’t broken

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I don’t hate it but I also think it shows the difficulty anyone will have in trying to “fix” a badge and brand that isn’t broken

spacer.png

Not even sure where to start with here, other than it quite being a niche piece of work to assume there's a market for such things!

Just don't let anyone see this one...

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

spacer.png

Not even sure where to start with here, other than it quite being a niche piece of work to assume there's a market for such things!

Just don't let anyone see this one...

spacer.png

Ha! I’d literally just come back to post that Blackheath one!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If it happens the agency and the club for that matter need to take what does work from the original (however naff it is) and not just do a generic Rhino logo.

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

If it happens the agency and the club for that matter need to take what does work from the original (however naff it is) and not just do a generic Rhino logo.

My only request is that they keep the "grunt" (they could do with some of that in their pack as well...)

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

spacer.png

Think this one was done by Fraser Davidson, certainly looks like his style. if you check out his website he's done quite a few RL logos over the years, not in any official capacity though, sadly. He's very handy when it comes to a sports brand, though very much in the American sports style. Also does a lot of animation, some of which you've probably seen on TV.

Though it might be Fraser. Plenty of designers out there with a similar style.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

11 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s a decent attempt at a Leeds badge, actually. 

It’s ok as a ‘rhinos’ logo but really not what should be done to update the Leeds Branding, it’s way too generic and hasn’t got any elements of what makes the current logo recognisable, as I say they have got a lot of brand equity so they don’t need a redesign, just a refresh.

6 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

My only request is that they keep the "grunt" (they could do with some of that in their pack as well...)

This is the grunt. Up close it looks like Kath Hetherington with her teeth out snotting out a bogie.

image.png

I reckon they could make that the centrepiece of a new logo. Get some smart design agency to call it a tribute to the city's industrial, smog-ridden past.

The Leeds logo did get a relatively early refresh - when it started it was all lemony and cr8p rather than its current nice, solid amber-

emokvbqwjej7ajku9oeo.gif

10 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I wonder if the two not included in that nine are Leeds and Saints, given both chairmen are anti-Elstone. 

Can't see either Hull club doing it either. Hull have a different badge this year, but only for retro reasons in tribute for Johnny Whiteley's 90th.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 21/11/2020 at 10:18, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Our new shirt is really fantastic. There is one thing that could have made it even better (other than having no sponsors but that obviously isn't going to happen with modern shirts) and that thing is if the badge had been a sown on patch like on olden day shirts. I presume this is why they have put the badge in a white box, as a nod to this style, but yeah, make the shirt cotten and have the badge as a patch and you've got the greatest Hull FC shirt since the olden days. 

It's not though is it, well it is in a way but a hugely obvious way. What you have is a modern take on your traditional kit. Trinity did the same in 2018. Fans continually love this approach yet kit manufacturers and marketing departments continue ti ignore them. Why I don't know, arrogance I expect. MC at Wakefield will tell you that the trad strip totally outsold any others. More to the point they still sell well even with the most minor tweaks ie a blue version in 2019. This years chevron version did not sell as well, next year is back to a band, not as trad as the ICS versions but I reckon it will sell well.

Truth is fans want the trad strip or close and will buy one every year regardless how modest the differences. Also these shirts don't last, they have a hard life, they discolour, they lose shape, they smell and even the advertisers go out of date. Most fans just want one every year and would be more than happy that they all look similar.

Go mad and creative with the away shirt if you must but the home jersey is a no no in my book.

Have to say you Hull FC fans have been pretty lucky, most of your recent kits have been fairly trad or at the very least the right colours, you could be a Cas or Wigan fan, two clubs who show no respect for their fans or there tradition, despicable in Wigan's case.

30 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

It's not though is it, well it is in a way but a hugely obvious way. What you have is a modern take on your traditional kit. Trinity did the same in 2018. Fans continually love this approach yet kit manufacturers and marketing departments continue ti ignore them. Why I don't know, arrogance I expect. MC at Wakefield will tell you that the trad strip totally outsold any others. More to the point they still sell well even with the most minor tweaks ie a blue version in 2019. This years chevron version did not sell as well, next year is back to a band, not as trad as the ICS versions but I reckon it will sell well.

Truth is fans want the trad strip or close and will buy one every year regardless how modest the differences. Also these shirts don't last, they have a hard life, they discolour, they lose shape, they smell and even the advertisers go out of date. Most fans just want one every year and would be more than happy that they all look similar.

Go mad and creative with the away shirt if you must but the home jersey is a no no in my book.

Have to say you Hull FC fans have been pretty lucky, most of your recent kits have been fairly trad or at the very least the right colours, you could be a Cas or Wigan fan, two clubs who show no respect for their fans or there tradition, despicable in Wigan's case.

You are right. What fans want is seen in sales of heritage and retro jerseys, whenever we bring one of those out they often sell more than the actual replica jerseys and there has been instances of them selling out completely and people having to preorder them to ensure they definitely get one. We brought a retro cotton jersey out with a poppy embroidered onto it a few years ago and I think it sold out before it even went on sale. 

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tidy kit actually, but does that say Championship or Super League on the sleeve???

this is how they get you.... its a tease from the club.. next week the away kit gets launched and we'll see a little more but not enough to make out the actual logo or word but enough to make you think you can... then the full release on them getting in/or not

nice kit though

Archived