2021 New Kit Thread

5 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Oxen trying to clear the decks.

https://www.eliteprosports.co.uk/shop/leeds-rhinos/leeds-rhinos-sale

The amount of product on sale, and the discount %, is quite staggering for product still in it's first year of sale. 
From a sustainability point of view it's also quite obscene.

Have they run out of space in the warehouse?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Have they run out of space in the warehouse?

Who knows. I can't find any reason for their approach. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Who knows. I can't find any reason for their approach. 

I think there’s about 6 or 7 different hoody ‘designs’

just do one or two but make them decent quality.

And if you’re going to make ‘retro’ classic shirts at least make them as good quality as the original and thats a pretty low bar to set for a couple of those kits!

it shouldn’t really annoy me but it does.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

And if you’re going to make ‘retro’ classic shirts at least make them as good quality as the original and thats a pretty low bar to set for a couple of those kits!

It's a bit crazy. Initially i thought they must be doing high product count/low quantities, which is easily achievable if you are working with mostly sublimated product, but as you say they have numerous zip hoodies, and even though they are all essentially the same hoody in terms of style, there would be dyeing charges for fabric and trims (zip pullers, zip tape and teeth for example, drawcords also), all of which would cost, and even a few of their tshirts/polo's feature different fabric patterns, all of which would involve additional costs for workmanship.

And not to mention the inevitable cannibalisation of product when you have such a large offering of essentially the same product. It is madness. Exemplified by the fact it's all on sale in under a year!

It's truly mystifying. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

4 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

It's a bit crazy. Initially i thought they must be doing high product count/low quantities, which is easily achievable if you are working with mostly sublimated product, but as you say they have numerous zip hoodies, and even though they are all essentially the same hoody in terms of style, there would be dyeing charges for fabric and trims (zip pullers, zip tape and teeth for example, drawcords also), all of which would cost, and even a few of their tshirts/polo's feature different fabric patterns, all of which would involve additional costs for workmanship.

And not to mention the inevitable cannibalisation of product when you have such a large offering of essentially the same product. It is madness. Exemplified by the fact it's all on sale in under a year!

It's truly mystifying. 

I can’t see Oxen seeing out the term of their contract TBH

Oxen making space for Catalans gear to go in!

I do have some sympathy with kit companies however. We have gone down this consumerism path where teams need to bring out 3 kits (at least) per year to generate funds. 

They cost pence to make and sell for £50+. 

But I wonder if the sales are starting to slow (not even taking into account Covid) and people are thinking twice before buying and especially at full price. 

if the kits lastest a couple of years at least, I would be more tempted to make a purchase when kits are new out, knowing it will get a couple of summer holidays wear. 

What do others think? 

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

18 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

There are some awful "retro" designs out there, not sure how companies get away with using the logos of sponsors still trading. 

Wakey have a new top out with a terrible looking British Coal logo on, not that they are still a thing of course!

british-coal-tee.jpg

How it should look:

wakefield-trinity-home-shirt-1992-1993-s

17 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

It's truly mystifying. 

If you actually drill into the things that are for sale quite a few of the standard mens ones are in the less popular sizes so they are evidently at the fragmented stock stage so it makes sense to mark them down to clear. Likewise the 2020 kits given there's only five or six games left.

But I agree with the general sentiment - even if Oxen need to churn out all sorts of low quality, high margin stuff to try and claw back the fee they've paid to Leeds, just try and produce something, anything higher quality in terms of design and production, and price, to cater for people who can see what the existing range is and aren't interested. The problem is, side by side in the store the difference would  be obvious. 

While I'm here I'm still not sure who the market was for the 1996 retro shirt. The most dismal year and an apparently unloved shirt design (although I'm still quite fond of it).

1 minute ago, M j M said:

If you actually drill into the things that are for sale quite a few of the standard mens ones are in the less popular sizes so they are evidently at the fragmented stock stage so it makes sense to mark them down to clear. Likewise the 2020 kits given there's only five or six games left.

But I agree with the general sentiment - even if Oxen need to churn out all sorts of low quality, high margin stuff to try and claw back the fee they've paid to Leeds, just try and produce something, anything higher quality in terms of design and production, and price, to cater for people who can see what the existing range is and aren't interested. The problem is, side by side in the store the difference would  be obvious. 

While I'm here I'm still not sure who the market was for the 1996 retro shirt. The most dismal year and an apparently unloved shirt design (although I'm still quite fond of it).

Though it does also beg the question why have a 1 season life cycle for anything other than Replica team wear (kits)? Giving yourself 1 season to sell a whole inventory this big is pretty tough, especially if you are an 'Oxen'.

I truly would love to see their sales figures for this season. I'm sure they'd make for interesting reading. 

The sustainability issue around such large collections is also one I'd hope they look to address in the future.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

5 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Though it does also beg the question why have a 1 season life cycle for anything other than Replica team wear (kits)? Giving yourself 1 season to sell a whole inventory this big is pretty tough, especially if you are an 'Oxen'.

I truly would love to see their sales figures for this season. I'm sure they'd make for interesting reading. 

The sustainability issue around such large collections is also one I'd hope they look to address in the future.

It's not new to have leisure and training wear which goes with the style and colours of the current season kits (or even if it doesn't go with it as such, is the 2021 range). There are customers who do buy stuff year after year and want the latest season's range. You can question the ethics of that in all sorts of ways but it is a fact of life for now.

But where Oxen have changed direction is in the variety of stuff they're producing, none of it much good.

34 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Oxen and Catalan?

Allegedly.

There has been a massive sell off of O'Neills product in the French and UK stores with rumours of issues between the club and company ( I know nothing more than that). 

I did this piece back in June https://ukcatalansdragons.blogspot.com/2021/06/sell-off-hints-at-end-of-oneills-deal.html and had an email saying the deal is pretty much done with Oxen. 

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

On 19/08/2021 at 19:06, Tommygilf said:

Not specifically RL related, but I've had a chance this week to check out the Yorkshire Cricket Nike gear in the flesh and it really is top grade.

A very small range of stuff (3 "kits", couple of of training tops and ancillary gear, the prime offering imo is a swoosh hoodie with the word "Nike" replaced by "Yorkshire"), but it is at premium prices. And it is worth that tbf, it is real quality. 

Compared with the Rhinos offering its a noticeably different approach.

Just had a look at that, looks great and the hoodie is amazing … not surprisingly it’s sold out. But I need a Yorkshire Nike hoodie!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

On 24/08/2021 at 11:33, M j M said:

It's not new to have leisure and training wear which goes with the style and colours of the current season kits (or even if it doesn't go with it as such, is the 2021 range). There are customers who do buy stuff year after year and want the latest season's range. You can question the ethics of that in all sorts of ways but it is a fact of life for now.

But where Oxen have changed direction is in the variety of stuff they're producing, none of it much good.

A new day a new range of Rhinos gear from Oxen.

Just ,anded in my inbox, Rhinos new Summer Off Field wear!

Same stuff different colours.

It'll be in the sale next week 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Oxen releasing a sneak peak of the new Rhinos Kit today - obviously run of out of stuff to put in the weekly sale

Odd time to release a kit IMO.

Tbf isn't it about a year since they released this years home shirt?

Seems like they're going for end of season for home shirt and xmas for the away strip? Which is shunted earlier from the ISC timeline.

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf isn't it about a year since they released this years home shirt?

Seems like they're going for end of season for home shirt and xmas for the away strip? Which is shunted earlier from the ISC timeline.

They released it before the Challenge Cup last year but that was to coincide with the announcement that were taking over the supply of the kit.

i get the end of season launch, not two weeks before the playoffs, Im just not a fan of how Oxen operate to be honest

22 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

They released it before the Challenge Cup last year but that was to coincide with the announcement that were taking over the supply of the kit.

i get the end of season launch, not two weeks before the playoffs, Im just not a fan of how Oxen operate to be honest

Yeah but that was September/October last year remember.

I know what you mean, it does seem like there is little point to buying anything Oxen full price as there will always be a sale on (even for what you would think are top line merch like the playing shirts). Its a shame really.

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah but that was September/October last year remember.

I know what you mean, it does seem like there is little point to buying anything Oxen full price as there will always be a sale on (even for what you would think are top line merch like the playing shirts). Its a shame really.

Didn’t Leeds play in this years home kit in the Challenge Cup final last year?  

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yes

to be fair to Oxen i may have misinterpreted the tweet they don’t appear to be releasing it theyre just showing some shots of the photoshoot 

Looks like the kit teaser means were going for a kit similar to 2009 or 2016? Amber collar with hoops on the sleeves too. Hopefully a bit of white on there too.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Looks like the kit teaser means were going for a kit similar to 2009 or 2016? Amber collar with hoops on the sleeves too. Hopefully a bit of white on there too.

Got to have white shorts, the traditional blue and amber hoops never looks ‘right’ to me without them!

Archived