2021 New Kit Thread

1 minute ago, RP London said:

not disagreeing with that, interested to know why when they say it isnt "moral outrage".. 

Interested because as someone who owns a business that has the opportunity to sponsor clubs I am interested in this type of information to know whether I should invest my hard earned money into this type of thing. The more i see those sorts of comments and general negativity about people investing in clubs etc, the more i think no i'll spend it in different areas. 

When I was at uni, myself and a Widnes fan took a lad from Yorkshire, an RU fan and player, to Swinton when they played at The Willows and a Rochdale game in the Cup, because me and the Widnes fan drunkenly decided to do a game from every round. The Rochdale game was a particularly good contest and they won very narrowly (it was a two point win according to Wiki) .

However, the big takeaway for this lad was the atmosphere at both games. I can’t say I’d particularly noticed myself at the time, especially during the Rochdale game, but once he said, I did. Those around us, at both games, spent the game moaning about the referee, the touch judge, the away team’s trainer and physio, the away players, basically anything and anyone that wasn’t in their teams colours. Now I get people have rose tinted specs when it comes to their team but this was at the detriment of the support for their team. Rugby League and its supporters are the most negative I’ve encountered. I don’t think we should force positivity but we are terrible for this as a sport and I can see why you wouldn’t want to be around it as a new fan. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I said no to Crabbies, because I think it’s a ###### drink. You’re right though there may be an element of snobbery to it, not that I consider myself a snob, far from it in fact, but it’s probably natural to think that having for example a nice whisky or quality ale on the front of a shirt looks better than John smiths or diamond white, and likewise (though I couldn’t care less about cars) I imagine Audi looks better to most people than Dacia - that’s advertising. I also like the NZ Warriors and would buy some of their merch if it didn’t all have Vodafone all over it. 

All of which is fair enough, but i dont think you should get too annoyed (which is how it came across) if someone finds that a bit confusing or questions those opinions.. 

For example (and i am in the food business) I think Crabbies is a great company and their products are very well put together... how good the drink is, as a lot of things in food, is a matter of taste but it is award winning.. So people will always have different opinions and therefore may be confused by yours. 

We all have some form of snobbery about things, especially companies, often down to experiences with them etc. I dont see snobbery as a bad word or a bad thing as long as it isnt uninformed etc 

While it would always be nice to have top quality brands/products these things go in cycles of where marketeers and advertisers think the best return for your money is, it can also often be around snobbery of those companies too and that sport may not be the place to spend etc.. there is a certain amount of beggars and choosers and it is, for the most part, financially better to have someone sponsoring than not (and, again, as an SWFC fan its a major buy bear for me that there is no sponsor). 

Its not that though, i totally understand this and when we have sponsored we always integrate in and it looks good. I also understand the need/want for someone like Hoover to use their logo without change. Its just there is a general attitude to certain sponsors just because of who they are. 

Tbh I don't have any major issues unless its especially bad or ruins the look of the shirt in some way. Though I understand if someone thinks brand X is a bit tacky that they wouldn't want to wear an item identifying with them.

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What’s this moral outrage all about, not thinking a sponsor looks good isn’t moral outrage, it’s just an opinion. Moral outrage used to be reserved for genuinely morally bankrupt things, now it seems to be applied to all sort of irrelevant b0110ck5. 

that is why i put it as "moral outrage" (see the quotation marks?) because it is a common used phrase that is now worth less than it used to be. I also explained in the other post that i understand how people are using this phrase now and it isnt what it once was.. It just means that you have a moral issue with the sponsor. 

Like many phrases it is being used as an over exaggeration for the issue at hand. 

but i'm sure in reality you knew that.. 

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

When I was at uni, myself and a Widnes fan took a lad from Yorkshire, an RU fan and player, to Swinton when they played at The Willows and a Rochdale game in the Cup, because me and the Widnes fan drunkenly decided to do a game from every round. The Rochdale game was a particularly good contest and they won very narrowly (it was a two point win according to Wiki) .

However, the big takeaway for this lad was the atmosphere at both games. I can’t say I’d particularly noticed myself at the time, especially during the Rochdale game, but once he said, I did. Those around us, at both games, spent the game moaning about the referee, the touch judge, the away team’s trainer and physio, the away players, basically anything and anyone that wasn’t in their teams colours. Now I get people have rose tinted specs when it comes to their team but this was at the detriment of the support for their team. Rugby League and its supporters are the most negative I’ve encountered. I don’t think we should force positivity but we are terrible for this as a sport and I can see why you wouldn’t want to be around it as a new fan. 

Don’t you think football fans are like that? It’s one of the reasons I gave my ST up, I just couldn’t bear to listen to all the tripe being spouted around me any longer. 

that is why i put it as "moral outrage" (see the quotation marks?) because it is a common used phrase that is now worth less than it used to be. I also explained in the other post that i understand how people are using this phrase now and it isnt what it once was.. It just means that you have a moral issue with the sponsor. 

Like many phrases it is being used as an over exaggeration for the issue at hand. 

but i'm sure in reality you knew that.. 

I didn’t really know that, I don’t have an issue with any sponsor, they’re all bringing much needed money into the game. There is literally zero moral reason for me not wanting to wear a Saints shirt with cash converters on, and I can’t remember the last time I was outraged about anything, let alone shirt sponsorship. You’re right the use of it so frequently is a massive exaggeration and makes the expression meaningless, as well as sounding rather pathetic to most people over the age of 30. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes of course there is. 

but they are wanting to invest in the club which other companies are not wanting to do.. there seems to be very little respect for companies willing to do that. Eventually that will lead to no one wanting to invest.. when you see some of the comments on forums like this (and other ones do it too) then you start to wonder why you bother as a company.. and i say that from experience as some of the research i do before looking at sponsorship/advertising with sports teams i do look at forums and comments etc to see what the general attitude is of people in the sport/club. We have pulled way from some simply because their own club forum never has a good word to say about sponsors and just want to pick up any negative things about them.. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Don’t you think football fans are like that? It’s one of the reasons I gave my ST up, I just couldn’t bear to listen to all the tripe being spouted around me any longer. 

To the same extent, no. Rugby League fans are generally pretty negative about everything. I find it less so the case with football, but that’s my experiences. I can’t say I’ve heard football fans claim everything is offside, for example, in the same way every opposition pass is “furwud”. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I didn’t really know that, I don’t have an issue with any sponsor, they’re all bringing much needed money into the game. There is literally zero moral reason for me not wanting to wear a Saints shirt with cash converters on, and I can’t remember the last time I was outraged about anything, let alone shirt sponsorship. You’re right the use of it so frequently is a massive exaggeration and makes the expression meaningless, as well as sounding rather pathetic to most people over the age of 30. 

yes i agree, there are so many phrases that are becoming like that though.. but its the same with people chucking "snowflake" around.. someone having an issue with something being used is not a snowflake as that is a general attitude that everything is insulting/hurtful etc. yet you find someone saying "hang on i think thats a bit insulting" then gets branded a snowflake normally because the other person hasnt actually expressed their view with any thought... 

Its become the thing of this moment in time that you over exaggerate to make a point and therefore these large phrases do lose some meaning. 

Genuine question: if it isnt a moral issue what is the issue with cash converters? 

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Of course they are and depending on which club you follow,even more so.

18 hours ago, Eddie said:

Where’s the abuse? You must use the confused emoji at least ten times more frequently than anyone else. And I’m not losing an argument because I’m not having one. I’m not morally outraged by Cash Converters, it’s just a rubbish sponsor and I don’t want to wear it, I wouldn’t wear it with Totally Wicked emblazoned on the front either, or Bet888 or various other sponsors that I could think of. 

Cash Converters are very good,in so far as they appear as a sponsor on the shirts of so-called Super League sides,and those in League 1.

An all game sponsor is to be applauded.

Cash Converters do provide a service and can be located in town centres.

Available to all as well.

I do hope there is no prejudice,here.Poor Peoples Lives Matter. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

33 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Cash Converters are very good,in so far as they appear as a sponsor on the shirts of so-called Super League sides,and those in League 1.

An all game sponsor is to be applauded.

Cash Converters do provide a service and can be located in town centres.

Available to all as well.

I do hope there is no prejudice,here.Poor Peoples Lives Matter. 

What’s ‘so called’ about super league? Also your assumption that only poor people use Cash Converters is prejudiced. 

8 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

So, get yourself a nice shirt with a nice sponsor from Here and just stick your preferred club badge on. 

Problem solved

HTH

Your Sampdoria style shirt from a couple of seasons ago is one of, if not the best RL jersey I’ve ever seen.

4 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Funny because they sell a hell of a lot from, now bore off.

It is actually quite funny that you take offence on behalf of the club, or are you the person responsible for their website?

How much do they sell by the way?

They'd probably sell a lot more if it didn't look like such an amateur effort.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

On 03/02/2021 at 02:21, EastLondonMike said:

Sad to say but the Wakey online store looks like a dogs dinner. 

Could you be a bit more specific/constructive in your criticism?

What is it that you don't like?

It's a functional site that I've had no trouble buying from in the past. It doesn't really seem any different to other online shops.

Can you post links to other SL clubs' sites that meet your criteria so that we can compare and contrast?

On 02/02/2021 at 18:21, EastLondonMike said:

Sad to say but the Wakey online store looks like a dogs dinner. 

Strangely, as well as drawing in many cash generating fans, it continues to appeal to the browsing interest of the occasional numpty. 🤡

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived