2021 New Kit Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Oxen releasing more cheap tat from those memorable times in Leeds' history...

spacer.png

I believe that's 8 replica shirts available this season

95 shirt

96 shirt

2000 shirt

Home Shirt replica

Home Shirt Player Issue

Home Shirt in Cotton

Away Shirt Replica

Helping Rhinos Shirt

All of them look cheap and nasty, not impressed with Oxen so far.

(In not classing the Rob Burrow shirt)

19 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

spacer.png

95 shirt

96 shirt

2000 shirt

Home Shirt replica

Home Shirt Player Issue

Home Shirt in Cotton

Away Shirt Replica

Helping Rhinos Shirt

i like this idea, get out some of the classic shirts for people, but make them out of cotton even if they are lightweight almost polo shirts (we arent going to play in them and its a "summer sport") but dont make them out of playing material!

32 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

spacer.png

95 shirt

96 shirt

2000 shirt

Home Shirt replica

Home Shirt Player Issue

Home Shirt in Cotton

Away Shirt Replica

Helping Rhinos Shirt

Unless these are like the score draw retro football shirts that are on shelves for multiple years I think its fair to class them in the cheap tat box. If they are like the score draw ones (and I'm not sure they are), then I suppose they had to come out at some point as part of the EPS strategy for the club.

Its certainly a totally different strategy, type of shirt, and price point from the Superdry retro stuff, which was fantastic quality and many still wear now.

Is it me or do they seem slightly odd choices of years too?

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Unless these are like the score draw retro football shirts that are on shelves for multiple years I think its fair to class them in the cheap tat box. If they are like the score draw ones (and I'm not sure they are), then I suppose they had to come out at some point as part of the EPS strategy for the club.

Its certainly a totally different strategy, type of shirt, and price point from the Superdry retro stuff, which was fantastic quality and many still wear now.

Is it me or do they seem slightly odd choices of years too?

I initially thought top right was the ‘99 Wembley shirt, which would have made sense. Then I realised it was roughly an 2000-01 shirt and I can’t remember Leeds doing much in those years. 

I assumed they were particularly popular among Leeds fans in a cult following type of thing, in all honesty. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I initially thought top right was the ‘99 Wembley shirt, which would have made sense. Then I realised it was roughly an 2000-01 shirt and I can’t remember Leeds doing much in those years. 

I assumed they were particularly popular among Leeds fans in a cult following type of thing, in all honesty. 

I think I still have my dad's shirt with the stars across the middle but I don't think its particulary popular on the terraces, certainly not while I've been watching.

I think with Leeds the superdry retro shirt, blue with amber hoops was the classic way to do this. Equally, the retro shirts in football seem to be recognised both by their design and their main sponsor - JVC Arsenal shirts or the CRSmith Celtic shirts. The only retro ones like that with that same classic design status would be maybe the Youngers or Carling Umbro shirts from the late 80s/early 90s.

That's before you bear in mind that each of our home kits in 2014, 2017 and 2019 were intended to be modern versions of former kits.

The important thing to remember is not every shirt was a classic and needs to be brought back!

18 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I cannot imagine any Leeds fan having any fond memories of 1995/1996, let alone the naff shirts

The years are odd choices because Leeds didn't win anything, although they were runners-up in comps in two of them.

However maybe that asics era is a time they have rights or access to the designs for and later, winning, seasons can't be reproduced?

26 minutes ago, M j M said:

The years are odd choices because Leeds didn't win anything, although they were runners-up in comps in two of them.

However maybe that asics era is a time they have rights or access to the designs for and later, winning, seasons can't be reproduced?

Oxen (or Elite sports) have produced or designed around 8 or 9 shirts in less than a year of working with Leeds, not one of them has had the actual proper Leeds Irregular hoops on them.

I hope they stop pedalling all these different shirts and cheap off field gear and concentrate on making a well designed and well made range of products.

34 minutes ago, M j M said:

2014 home was a homage to the 1996 Umbro shirt - and in any case it doesn't have the brand on so rights shouldn't be an issue.

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

2014 home was a homage to the 1996 Umbro shirt - and in any case it doesn't have the brand on so rights shouldn't be an issue.

Presumably it comes down to who owns the copyright for the design - the club or the designer? 

I'm with you on the club's approach though. From the excellent Superdry range to this "stack it high, sell it cheap" tat that looks like it would struggle to get past quality control at Primark? It's very disappointing. 

22 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Oxen (or Elite sports) have produced or designed around 8 or 9 shirts in less than a year of working with Leeds, not one of them has had the actual proper Leeds Irregular hoops on them.

I hope they stop pedalling all these different shirts and cheap off field gear and concentrate on making a well designed and well made range of products.

Easy to blame the manufacturer - but the club signs off all the designs, maybe complain to Leeds?

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Easy to blame the manufacturer - but the club signs off all the designs, maybe complain to Leeds?

Nah the manufacturer, or rather their operator Elite Pro Sports, now runs Leeds' retail arm. So actually it is them, the club will obviously retain some say but they have far more say than usual arrangements.

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I'm blaming both the club and the Manufacturer.

I understand the strategy it's just I'm not a fan of stack em high sell em cheap (or not so cheap) stuff.

Commercially it may be the best way forward and if it is then I'm probably in the minority of wanting fewer but better items.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Nah the manufacturer, or rather their operator Elite Pro Sports, now runs Leeds' retail arm. So actually it is them, the club will obviously retain some say but they have far more say than usual arrangements.

More fool the club allowing that to happen - they should always have power of veto, they are the customer in that relationship after all

A lot of football clubs have retro ranges and have a selection of remakes of shirts available. Most seem to be shirts that were attached to specific players, successful seasons or were particularly popular shirts. These shirts don’t appear to fall into any of those categories. 

I think more variety in club shops is much needed, so while this possibly isn’t the best selection of shirts, I think it’s a good idea. 

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

More fool the club allowing that to happen - they should always have power of veto, they are the customer in that relationship after all

I actually think the club have done quite well here, essentially putting all the risk onto EPS whilst they get their promised regular dividends, all at the time of Covid - I'm inclined to believe that pressure is what is making them particularly keen to get the tills at Leeds turning over with multiple offers etc. That said, of course there is a potential for reputational damage by associating the club with poorer quality stuff or never paying full price.

Its different as I understand it to most kit manufacturer arrangements, as the Kit supplier is literally running the entire show. Leeds must have some influence of course, but I doubt they'll particularly veto anything.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I actually think the club have done quite well here, essentially putting all the risk onto EPS whilst they get their promised regular dividends, all at the time of Covid - I'm inclined to believe that pressure is what is making them particularly keen to get the tills at Leeds turning over with multiple offers etc. That said, of course there is a potential for reputational damage by associating the club with poorer quality stuff or never paying full price.

Its different as I understand it to most kit manufacturer arrangements, as the Kit supplier is literally running the entire show. Leeds must have some influence of course, but I doubt they'll particularly veto anything.

There's been discussions on other threads about brand and identity for England.   If Leeds don't have much say in what they wear on a field, does that now mean they're not bothered about their brand?

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

There's been discussions on other threads about brand and identity for England.   If Leeds don't have much say in what they wear on a field, does that now mean they're not bothered about their brand?

I think its more that Leeds trust EPS to sell it as ultimately they owe Leeds a regular fee. I don't particularly agree with it but thats what it is.

I don't know how the arrangement with the RFL works

54 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Presumably it comes down to who owns the copyright for the design - the club or the designer? 

I'm with you on the club's approach though. From the excellent Superdry range to this "stack it high, sell it cheap" tat that looks like it would struggle to get past quality control at Primark? It's very disappointing. 

I suppose you could say Oxen don't see themselves as a premium brand at the level with the ability to sell those high end products. Maccies don't sell steaks after all. That said they're not really building to that higher level either.

Archived