14K salary

Apologies if I have missed this being covered elsewhere, but it appears Ryan Brierley at Hull KR is on 14K pa.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/super-league/nrl-2020-super-league-news-hull-kingston-rovers-ryan-brierely-low-salary/news-story/3587dcf232bb323c75f89d5e4366bb3c

Am I missing something, or is this as shocking a situation as it sounds?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Apologies if I have missed this being covered elsewhere, but it appears Ryan Brierley at Hull KR is on 14K pa.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/super-league/nrl-2020-super-league-news-hull-kingston-rovers-ryan-brierely-low-salary/news-story/3587dcf232bb323c75f89d5e4366bb3c

Am I missing something, or is this as shocking a situation as it sounds?

Its bad, but not shocking in that such scenarios are sadly all too common in our sport. Recent Grand Finalists have been on 4 figure salaries. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Its bad, but not shocking in that such scenarios are sadly all too common in our sport. Recent Grand Finalists have been on 4 figure salaries. 

I thought I read somewhere I while back the average SL salary was about 40K, pounds that is, I didn`t think that was too bad. Not sure what your minimum or average wage is in England, but if that average(SL salary) is above that It struck me that it would still be enough to entice young people who thought they might make a career out of it into the game. And that is the important part. Of course knowing that sporting careers are only for a limited period it is important that players are thinking about and planning for post-playing careers, clubs could possibly help with that.

Another point is, and not meaning this in a derogatory manner, sometimes young people who may for whatever reason, have grown up in socially disadvantaged areas where education opportunities are limited see professional sport as a way out ,being able to earn 40, 50 thousand pounds as being pretty good.

Ryan Brierley is an amazing ambassador of this sport. He went out of his way in Toronto to give time to fans and participate in media events. I saw him a few rows below me at a TFC game, I went down and had a short chat to him.  

That is a shocking wage for his talents. If 40K is the average salary, and there are marque players factored in, there must be a lot of players on this level.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

I thought I read somewhere I while back the average SL salary was about 40K, pounds that is, I didn`t think that was too bad. Not sure what your minimum or average wage is in England, but if that average(SL salary) is above that It struck me that it would still be enough to entice young people who thought they might make a career out of it into the game. And that is the important part.

Another point is, and not meaning this in a derogatory manner, sometimes young people who may for whatever reason, have grown up in socially disadvantaged areas where education opportunities are limited see professional sport as a way out ,being able to earn 40, 50 thousand pounds as being pretty good.

A quick internet search would suggest that the average salary in this country is about £30,000 (AUS$54,000) so Super League players are still earning a decent wage and also doing a job they absolutely love. In relation to your second point as well, that average wage is a lot higher than the average people will be earning in some of the more disadvantaged areas that a lot of these kids will be coming from so it will be seen as a fortune to them. 

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

A quick internet search would suggest that the average salary in this country is about £30,000 (AUS$54,000) so Super League players are still earning a decent wage and also doing a job they absolutely love. In relation to your second point as well, that average wage is a lot higher than the average people will be earning in some of the more disadvantaged areas that a lot of these kids will be coming from so it will be seen as a fortune to them. 

I was doing that search as you posted and added a little more to my original post.

Minimum wage in England is 8.72 pounds per hour(over 25), if your working week is 40hrs/wk that is an annual salary  of ~18-20k pounds per annum. Less if you are younger. 

As the article said, there are a young blokes (and hopefully girls in the future) who are prepared to take a lower pay packet because of the opportunities that Super league can offer if they are successful. Not only earning considerably more, but being able to work in different parts of the world. And doing something they love as you said. I repeat however post playing careers must be considered  and should be something that clubs could assist with. I have heard stories of how Penrith Panthers offer financial guidance to young players and even assist them with advice in buying property. There would be no shortage of financial advisors and real estate agents willing to help I`m sure. These are relationships that Clubs  should be taking advantage of in increasing sponsorship as well.

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I was doing that search as you posted and added a little more to my original post.

Minimum wage in England is 8.72 pounds per hour(over 25), if your working week is 40hrs/wk that is an annual salary  of ~18-20k pounds per annum. Less if you are younger. 

As the article said, there are a young blokes (and hopefully girls in the future) who are prepared to take a lower pay packet because of the opportunities that Super league can offer if they are successful. Not only earning considerably more, but being able to work in different parts of the world. And doing something they love as you said. I repeat however post playing careers must be considered  and should be something that clubs could assist with. I have heard stories of how Penrith Panthers offer financial guidance to young players and even assist them with advice in buying property. There would be no shortage of financial advisors and real estate agents willing to help I`m sure. These are relationships that Clubs  should be taking advantage of in increasing sponsorship as well.

I must say I don't really know if clubs offer any post-playing career support to players but I do know that a lot of players are enrolled in part-time college courses while they are playing to learn a trade or obtain some new skills so they can transition into a new career after retirement. It's certainly something they are all very aware of and savvy to.

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

30k is no good for a SL player though.  Very limited earning potential in their career.  

Many will be waking up in years to come with serious aches and chronic pain for life, they just don’t know it yet.  

All well and good playing ‘TGG’ for the love of it but we really are poor relations when it comes to many football and rugby union.

3 hours ago, Copa said:

That’s pretty low. You can make £8000 playing suburban rugby league in Canberra.

A lot of Championship players (below SL) are on £20k a year and they are part time.

Only a few years ago Workington Town were paying Sammut around £1000 a week playing in League 1

35 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

It's not like he's just starting out and trying to make it. Then I could understand him playing for such a small salary. He'd be better off playing semi pro league or union and sorting out a career outside the game

Surely that's the real meat of this issue.

If he is as valuable as he and his agent thinks, he'll have a deal with a Super League club for more next year. 

The fact is, he joined a club who were threatened with relegation last year, and one who have signed a lot of players from the same agent, not as if top clubs were.clamouring to sign him.

Am I missing something here?

HKR have paid him 14k for 9 games. 

A chunk of his promised salary has not been paid.

Lamentable though it is, Brierlys case doesn't seem like the typical SL player salary from which we can speculate about average salaries and incomes across the league.

20 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Lamentable though it is, Brierlys case doesn't seem like the typical SL player salary from which we can speculate about average salaries and incomes across the league.

I think this hinges on how he has been paid and the way a professional players contract is structured.

If he is on £14k a year and his pay in the period he has been with the club is pro rata for this period then it is very low. If on the other hand,  he has been paid the £14k for the 9 games played then it is not as bad.

But I don't know which of these are true or some other variation. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

That seems more plausible which doesn't make it sound as bad. I was surprised anyone would sign for 14k for a full season.

However, it's still looking for scraps til the end of the year. Unless you're a top earner in SL then playing SL isn't very secure or even lucrative. 

I'd be encouraging my son to get a career rather than looking at professional RL. 

That's about what Wally Lewis got paid, and he's no Wally Lewis.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Just for clarity, a significant number of people on minimum wage don't get to work 40 hours a week, often much less. I wouldn't like anyone to get the idea that minimum wage represents some sort of luxury.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

I think 14 k was quite a lot of money in the 80s

Whoooosh!!

HKR have paid him 14k for 9 games

Completely disingenuous to imply that. He's contracted to them full time by the contract, he has to train I would guess 5 days a week, meet media and various other commitments, video analysis sessions. It's not just playing 80 minutes. On a game per salary ratio, it's probably better than a fair few players over a full season.

£14k for Brierley or an average of £30k for an SL player is terrible, there's no defending it. As someone mentioned above, that £30k average is likely skewed by marquee players and so is more £27-28k. It's a short career, your body will be suffering for the rest of your life afterwards as a result (see recent Barry Mac interviews). What do they have after they finish SL, they don't have the benefit of a trade or a degree etc, I suppose many go to the bottom of the job pile unless they can secure a job in the sport

Archived