14K salary

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

That seems more plausible which doesn't make it sound as bad. I was surprised anyone would sign for 14k for a full season.

However, it's still looking for scraps til the end of the year. Unless you're a top earner in SL then playing SL isn't very secure or even lucrative. 

I'd be encouraging my son to get a career rather than looking at professional RL. 

This is a major problem. Its not a career for life by any stretch and we ask young men to sacrifice vital periods of their lives in terms of education from 15 to 20 to pursue a career they will very rarely be well rewarded for and could be snatched away at any point with injury.

15 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I think 14 k was quite a lot of money in the 80s

Yes it was indeed,especially in the early 80s.

ITV technicians back in 1979 after the strike and the famous blue card and apology caption(ITV’s best ever output)were on just under £12K per year basic. And that was a hell of a lot of money back then.

And this sad story shows how poor this sport is.

9 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Just for clarity, a significant number of people on minimum wage don't get to work 40 hours a week, often much less. I wouldn't like anyone to get the idea that minimum wage represents some sort of luxury.

Nothing I said in that post suggested that minimum wage was some sort of living in luxury. The gist of my post was that clubs should be encouraging boys to think of life post football career. I think the post  after me said that a lot are already studying part time.

If your tertiary education system is any thing like ours most courses are transferable from one institution to other if someone changes domicile as the result of changing clubs.

9 hours ago, ojx said:

If 40K is the average salary, and there are marque players factored in, there must be a lot of players on this level.

The average Super League player earns more than £40k.

The NRL have a minimum wage of $110,000, it’d be good for Super League to have something similar. There is a lack of money in the sport over here though, but when Robert Elstone is earning 30 times as much as a Super League player we’re clearly getting something wrong.

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The NRL have a minimum wage of $110,000, it’d be good for Super League to have something similar. There is a lack of money in the sport over here though, but when Robert Elstone is earning 30 times as much as a Super League player we’re clearly getting something wrong.

The minimum wage in the NRL is under £61K Sterling and the minimum wage for a up and coming player is just over £41K Sterling.

Shows how poor and far behind the game is in this country even at so called Elite level.

And in my opinion the game here should be ashamed of itself.

Staggering, didnt Hull KR watch him play before offering him that much?

On a serious note it sounds like he was offered more by none SL clubs but wanted to play SL.  Sounds very low though, unless hes agreed a covid related pay cut and had some per game bonus's built in which the reduction in games has effected.

Typical Brierley press release, all about him, He had a large payoff from Toronto & Huddersfield and he's been given the flick by every club

Was on mega bucks at Toronto, smacks of bitterness to me. he's mates with the reporter that released it.

He couldn't get a club so it was £14k for a few games or nothing.

16 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

How much should SL pay their CEO?

I don’t blame the player whatsoever.I find it sad that some are criticising the player.

No one could have foreseen the circumstances that have befallen on the sport and with clubs themselves.

And I agree with him speaking out.

And maybe the game here needs to have a very good long hard look at itself in the mirror because quite frankly this proves that the way the game is administered and run here is not fit for purpose.

29 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Is there a minimum wage in SL for top 25 players? If so, what is it?

I guess it has to be all tied in to the size or % of the salary cap. Assuming the nrl salary cap is roughly $9.5m then $110k would represent 1.15% of the cap.

What's the salary cap in SL? £2.1m? If so, then 1.15% would represent £24,150.

The difference in all this is that $110k in Australia puts you in the top 12% of annual salaries in the country.

What has been allegedly happening is that clubs have been taking some squad players off full-time contracts and essentially giving them part time contracts to be full time (e.g. 25-30 hours p/w) to train, condition and play. That means salaries can be reduced and you can still pay the minimum wage. It can also mean the club has access to this "part-time" players whenever they need them - they are not training in the evenings like traditional part time players.

I have been consistently saying that some squad players at top SL clubs are on barely five-figure salaries for the last few years. It is a poorly funded sport masquerading as a full-time elite sport in many cases.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What has been allegedly happening is that clubs have been taking some squad players off full-time contracts and essentially giving them part time contracts to be full time (e.g. 25-30 hours p/w) to train, condition and play. That means salaries can be reduced and you can still pay the minimum wage. It can also mean the club has access to this "part-time" players whenever they need them - they are not training in the evenings like traditional part time players.

I have been consistently saying that some squad players at top SL clubs are on barely five-figure salaries for the last few years. It is a poorly funded sport masquerading as a full-time elite sport in many cases.

That last paragraph saddens and frankly disgusts me.The game should hang it’s head in shame.

39 minutes ago, binosh said:

Typical Brierley press release, all about him, He had a large payoff from Toronto & Huddersfield and he's been given the flick by every club

Was on mega bucks at Toronto, smacks of bitterness to me. he's mates with the reporter that released it.

He couldn't get a club so it was £14k for a few games or nothing.

No, it's all the sports fault for not paying what an agent thinks a player is worth! 🤣

Assuming clubs spend around £1.5m on players salaries based on a squad of 25 the avg is around £55k (Employers NI is inc in the spend) with top 20 taking the lions share. 

Was Brierley’s HKR contract boosted by Toronto payments ( or should have been) ? 

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Hang it's head in shame????

So Rob, Where's the money coming from to pay them what you think they are worth?

In my opinion the minimum salary for a up and coming SL player should be about £20K and for an established player about £40K.

Surely the SKY TV money should cover that.

Just now, Robthegasman said:

In my opinion the minimum salary for a up and coming SL player should be about £20K and for an established player about £40K.

Surely the SKY TV money should cover that.

I don't know whether it does or not rob.

What I do know is that our sport isn't cash rich. It never really has been and if we're sensible we pay what the sport can afford.

To pay more than that = oblivion fast

I think we all agree that players should be paid more, fact is if Hull KR had £14k to play with under their cap then that's all they've got.

Its up to Brierley to accept or find a different club. clearly they don't think he's worth paying more for in 2021 when money will be even tighter.

The fact he's gone to press with it just shows a lack of class and will make more clubs even warier of signing him, there's been drama where he is concerned at nearly every club he's been at.

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I don't know whether it does or not rob.

What I do know is that our sport isn't cash rich. It never really has been and if we're sensible we pay what the sport can afford.

To pay more than that = oblivion fast

I agree the sport is not cash rich.

And I agree that what the players get paid should be sensible.I don’t think there should be many players who get six figure salaries which no doubt some do,they should be very few and far between and only at clubs that(did)get 5 figure attendance figures.

20 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I agree the sport is not cash rich.

And I agree that what the players get paid should be sensible.I don’t think there should be many players who get six figure salaries which no doubt some do,they should be very few and far between and only at clubs that(did)get 5 figure attendance figures.

If we didn't have players on significant six figure salaries we wouldn't have a SL. Many of these players would be in the NRL. Ryan Sutton on a standard contract at Canberra will be earning in the region of £150-160k. Some players there are on circa £600k per year.

The game has no cash but without stars the game doesn't exist as an elite sport. It is a tough situation to be in and those squad players in SL are playing for peanuts as a result.

42 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Hang it's head in shame????

So Rob, Where's the money coming from to pay them what you think they are worth?

It can be done to some degree based on the current money/salary cap, it just means it will chip into the top players salaries (I.e they would be paid less to compensate for the minimum wage). 

However, that would then effect our fight in signing top talent from NRL and keeping the best English lads from going the other way. Blake Austin is rumoured to be on £335k a year. Hypothetically, if they didn't sign him there's your minimum wage sorted for the bottom end players at Warrington (and some left over money to sign a lesser player). 

However, less money to spend on the top salaries would reduce the standard on the competition. So it's a tough balancing act.

Another option would be to reduce (say by 2) the number of teams in SL therefore resulting in the remaining 10 teams taking their portion of the TV money and increasing the salary cap.

2 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Another option would be to reduce (say by 2) the number of teams in SL therefore resulting in the remaining 10 teams taking their portion of the TV money and increasing the salary cap.

Wouldn't that leave a lot more than one player on a lot less money?

Archived