Fans at Wembley

Not usually one for petitions, and without doubt it won't result in change, but this may be of interest to some. A petition has been launched to let fans in to Wembley for the Challenge Cup Final.

I can't see the logic in fans gathering en-masse in the pub to the watch the match, when they could watch in a more safe, socially-distanced, outdoor environment at Wembley.

https://www.change.org/p/paul-dennett-allow-salford-leeds-fans-to-attend-the-challenge-cup-final-on-17th-october/psf/promote_or_share?guest=existing&short_display_name=Chris&recruiter=519518585&source_location=react-fe

5 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Not usually one for petitions, and without doubt it won't result in change, but this may be of interest to some. A petition has been launched to let fans in to Wembley for the Challenge Cup Final.

I can't see the logic in fans gathering en-masse in the pub to the watch the match, when they could watch in a more safe, socially-distanced, outdoor environment at Wembley.

https://www.change.org/p/paul-dennett-allow-salford-leeds-fans-to-attend-the-challenge-cup-final-on-17th-october/psf/promote_or_share?guest=existing&short_display_name=Chris&recruiter=519518585&source_location=react-fe

Not even sure people in Salford and Leeds can actually leave and return to their town/cities without restrictions atm?

56 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Where would it stop though? Plenty of people buy tickets each year for Wembley and will have already purchased them. Should they be denied?

Erm, there's a pandemic on.....so yes, they should be denied

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

How are they getting to Wembley? Do they just teleport there?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I’ve got a lot of sympathy with this (and not just because I go to Wembley every year).

The Albert Hall will host up to 3000 (c.60% of capacity) from December, which is obviously indoors. BCD football is now being shown in cinemas. Anyone who’s been to an IKEA lately will see the absurdity of certain Covid rules when thousands are allowed inside what is essentially a big house.

The ban on socially distanced sport almost seems discriminatory.

Leeds is in lockdown at the moment. We are anxious about not being able to see family, visit hospitals etc. There are travel restrictions in place also.

I don't think having people at a sporting match is a priority to be honest. We are lucky it is being played at all and on tv. 

27 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’ve got a lot of sympathy with this (and not just because I go to Wembley every year).

The Albert Hall will host up to 3000 (c.60% of capacity) from December, which is obviously indoors. BCD football is now being shown in cinemas. Anyone who’s been to an IKEA lately will see the absurdity of certain Covid rules when thousands are allowed inside what is essentially a big house.

The ban on socially distanced sport almost seems discriminatory.

Apart from travel restrictions I see no problem with fans attending sports events. There was a report on Look North about Chesterfield FC being allowed fans into their stadium to watch away games on a TV but can’t watch a home game in the ground

It's really frustrating but there's no way they will allow it, especially from these two places, so it's not even worth asking.

I was frustrated yesterday at missing my first Leeds CC semi in the last 20 we've appeared in (and if we make the playoffs will have to surrender my 100% attendance record at Leeds playoff games). But as a Leeds fan I've been lucky - for Salford fans it must be absolutely gutting to get there after all this time and not be allowed to watch. I remember how exciting it was in 1994 after not going in 17 years so God knows what several lifetimes worth of waiting feels like.

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

It's really frustrating but there's no way they will allow it, especially from these two places, so it's not even worth asking.

I was frustrated yesterday at missing my first Leeds CC semi in the last 20 we've appeared in (and if we make the playoffs will have to surrender my 100% attendance record at Leeds playoff games). But as a Leeds fan I've been lucky - for Salford fans it must be absolutely gutting to get there after all this time and not be allowed to watch. I remember how exciting it was in 1994 after not going in 17 years so God knows what several lifetimes worth of waiting feels like.

Just how I feel mate

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

Apart from travel restrictions I see no problem with fans attending sports events. There was a report on Look North about Chesterfield FC being allowed fans into their stadium to watch away games on a TV but can’t watch a home game in the ground

Bild

It's imperfect. There are inconsistencies. But this is why.

Until you can guarantee scenes like this won't happen at matches where fans are passionate then you won't be getting fans in any time soon.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Bild

It's imperfect. There are inconsistencies. But this is why.

Until you can guarantee scenes like this won't happen at matches where fans are passionate then you won't be getting fans in any time soon.

It’s harder to have segregation at a ground like that though. I think it could be done in SL

11 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Serious question... But has the increase in permissable attendances in the NRL and a few other comps actually increased the instances of covid? 

Honestly I doubt they have because they've been some of the latter stages of the return to normal. Essentially governments have only done it when its basically none existent. That said there were 11k at Dortmund this weekend.

Could we arrange  a meeting in a Central London pub for the final? I remember many RL fans 10 years or so years ago going to the Museum Tavern in Bloomsbury. 

1 minute ago, bazzzz65 said:

Could we arrange  a meeting in a Central London pub for the final? I remember many RL fans 10 years or so years ago going to the Museum Tavern in Bloomsbury. 

You assume the two clubs may arrange somewhere to show the game with social distancing so fans can be together and watch it safely 

Archived