Fans at Wembley

A few weeks ago they had spectators At Doncaster for the horse racing.I think there were only about 2500 that were there.

The powers that be the day after put a stop to any more fans being admitted.

And sadly the Cup Final will be behind closed doors.A crying shame.

8 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Serious question... But has the increase in permissable attendances in the NRL and a few other comps actually increased the instances of covid? 

It's a good question but I believe that the increase in crowds (and also additional measures put in place at times) follows the state of the disease in the wider community. We seem still to be a long way behind the point where you'd start the process of sport attendance.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

It’s harder to have segregation at a ground like that though. I think it could be done in SL

It could be. But they'd had social distancing (of a sort) all the way through this game until a penalty shootout at the end. There's nothing about segregation in that photo. They are all fans of the same team celebrating.

Now, imagine, for the sake of argument, that you have 5,000 Salford fans sitting politely at one end all the way through the match right up until their teams wins the Challenge Cup by a single point.

Do those 5,000 Salford fans get up, put their masks on, and walk politely down the stairs?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It could be. But they'd had social distancing (of a sort) all the way through this game until a penalty shootout at the end. There's nothing about segregation in that photo. They are all fans of the same team celebrating.

Now, imagine, for the sake of argument, that you have 5,000 Salford fans sitting politely at one end all the way through the match right up until their teams wins the Challenge Cup by a single point.

Do those 5,000 Salford fans get up, put their masks on, and walk politely down the stairs?

In a 90k stadium I think it can be done but the other issues of traveling won’t let a crowd at Wembley happen. 

My point was more why can’t we have a crowd for SL games?

5 minutes ago, DG70 said:

Fans allowed in at the tennis in Paris, granted only a few, yet if thats permitted at such a small venue then why not at Wembley?

It's because one is in France with decisions made by the French government in consultation with Paris authorities.

4 minutes ago, DG70 said:

Yeh I get that, obviously the virus has a map....

The virus is at different prevalence levels around the world.

The responses to those differing prevalence levels also differ.

They're currently playing to virtually full stadiums in New Zealand. Want to guess why?

11 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Fans are being allowed to sports events on the continent. Like in my previous post, fans can go to Chesterfield FC stadium to watch an away game on TV but not to watch them play at home

Fans the league below Chesterfield could go and watch their game on the weekend on a screen in the bar at the club but weren’t allowed to step outside and watch in person. 

On 04/10/2020 at 17:24, gingerjon said:

How are they getting to Wembley? Do they just teleport there?

i think people are "forgetting" this.. its very rarely about the stadium itself but its the travel to and from that stadium and the gathering outside/in pubs close to the stadium... 

pressure on public transport, pressure on local pubs etc etc.. the stadium is the least of the issues.

I think if the risk was purely about myself, I think I'd be happy enough to go to a game and perhaps engage in other activities I miss so much that could be done safely enough if properly risk assessed/managed.

But, the transmission rates of this thing makes such an occurrence an unacceptably high risk to me..... for the mo.

Safety measures get muddled when comparisons with other activities which are currently allowed that aren't perceived as vastly different.

33 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I think if the risk was purely about myself, I think I'd be happy enough to go to a game and perhaps engage in other activities I miss so much that could be done safely enough if properly risk assessed/managed.

But, the transmission rates of this thing makes such an occurrence an unacceptably high risk to me..... for the mo.

Safety measures get muddled when comparisons with other activities which are currently allowed that aren't perceived as vastly different.

Yup , this time last week I was getting ready to board a Boeing Dreamliner placing me 12 inches away from other passengers for 4+ hours , much more ' dangerous ' than sitting in a seat at Wembley , or indeed on the North stand terrace at the LSV 

47 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yup , this time last week I was getting ready to board a Boeing Dreamliner placing me 12 inches away from other passengers for 4+ hours , much more ' dangerous ' than sitting in a seat at Wembley , or indeed on the North stand terrace at the LSV 

Oh I dunno about that 😉

And 12 inches?! Pay for business class mr moneybags! 

12 minutes ago, redjonn said:

It does seem odd that other countries had more or less the same restrictions including banning fans from sports like say Germany.   Yep they have started to allow but they are in a different position than us...

Germany also has sudden local changes. For example, now that I am a lifelong Werder Bremen fan of several months standing, I note that their last home match was spectator free.

Loads of political point-scoring removed from this thread.

Look, sign the petition or don't sign the petition, explain your reasons why or don't, but this is not the place to start arguing the toss over government policy or making party political points. There's a whole sub-forum for that.

If it carries on in here, it'll all just be deleted and the thread will be locked, so you'd be wasting your energy.

Thank you.

Archived