Dual Registration gone

Matthew Shaw on Twitter confirming the rumour that's been widely circulated that DR will be abolished next year.

We're the team that used it most successfully by some way, but most of us I suspect still won't shed any tears at its departure.

Where that leaves young/fringe SL players with no reserves and no DR is another matter. presumably we're going to see lots of short-term loans.

It does mean some fans of opposing teams are going to have to find a new excuse when we beat them, but I'm sure they'll find one!

I have not been a fan of Dual Reg players, although to be fair they have been an asset to us, and have given their best for us.

I wonder if we will now see an upturn in loan signings to overcome the problem with fringe players?

I do';nt see why ? we have been recruiting well since Covid, with a good mix of old heads and young keep lads.

I cannot see us go into the loan market unless we have a glut of injuries

2 hours ago, graham fisher said:

4 or 5 permanent signings from Leeds,why? Looking at your squad to me looks a good one.

Graham, I think MB might have been being facetious and I also suspect he has quite a big fishing net.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

2 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Graham, I think MB might have been being facetious and I also suspect he has quite a big fishing net.

Not facetious at all, nor was I fishing. If 2021 is to be a one off in terms of dual registration, which if Super League clubs are deeming it a success it will return in 2022. If this is the case, I'd imagine both Leeds and Featherstone will want the relationship to continue. If Leeds see Featherstone as a better option for their youngsters than reserves / under whatevers, then I would foresee some signings similar to the Minns, Foster and Baldwinson signings in the past.

For what it's worth, I agree that we have built a very competitive looking squad for 2021 without the need for additions from Leeds.

2 hours ago, Michael Bates said:

Not facetious at all, nor was I fishing. If 2021 is to be a one off in terms of dual registration, which if Super League clubs are deeming it a success it will return in 2022. If this is the case, I'd imagine both Leeds and Featherstone will want the relationship to continue. If Leeds see Featherstone as a better option for their youngsters than reserves / under whatevers, then I would foresee some signings similar to the Minns, Foster and Baldwinson signings in the past.

For what it's worth, I agree that we have built a very competitive looking squad for 2021 without the need for additions from Leeds.

With no DR I just don't see the need for us to "sign" players for a year knowing that they are going back to their own club in twelve months time, given that we have the ability to take up to 5 players on loan.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

5 hours ago, Michael Bates said:

If Leeds see Featherstone as a better option for their youngsters than reserves / under whatevers, then I would foresee some signings similar to the Minns, Foster and Baldwinson signings in the past.

The reserve comp won't exist in 2021 and the academy is now U18, and with the very odd exception those lads are nowhere near ready for Championship rugby.

If Leeds were likely to be running with a 35-man squad and us with a 21- or 22-man squad as was the case until recently, this would make sense, but we are already up to 26 with another rumoured to be added. I can't see Leeds running with many more than 30 in the current financial climate.

As Grinder suggests, we are surely more likely to be looking at 1-month loans to fill positional needs as they occur. They might not be as easy to arrange next year though because I think many SL clubs will be running with smaller squads.

2 hours ago, The Grinder said:

With no DR I just don't see the need for us to "sign" players for a year knowing that they are going back to their own club in twelve months time, given that we have the ability to take up to 5 players on loan.

Rhinos didn't make the SL play-offs last year, if they had Fev wouldn't have had all the quality players  they had available for the run-in to the GF. This time they have strengthened for the play-offs even before the season starts because loans cannot be relied on to be available for the games that matter. For what its worth the probable first choice 17 looks even stronger than the GF line-up.

16 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

The reserve comp won't exist in 2021 and the academy is now U18, and with the very odd exception those lads are nowhere near ready for Championship rugby.

If Leeds were likely to be running with a 35-man squad and us with a 21- or 22-man squad as was the case until recently, this would make sense, but we are already up to 26 with another rumoured to be added. I can't see Leeds running with many more than 30 in the current financial climate.

As Grinder suggests, we are surely more likely to be looking at 1-month loans to fill positional needs as they occur. They might not be as easy to arrange next year though because I think many SL clubs will be running with smaller squads.

Has it been announced yet what sort of loan deals will be allowed next year?I thought I had read somewhere that short term loans were banned along with DR.Also long term loans would have no call back arrangement.I could be totally wrong with this BTW.

12 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Has it been announced yet what sort of loan deals will be allowed next year?I thought I had read somewhere that short term loans were banned along with DR.Also long term loans would have no call back arrangement.I could be totally wrong with this BTW.

From the TotalRL story:
"Instead, clubs will have to loan players. Loans will all be on initial 28-day periods and the player will not be allowed to return to the bubble of their parent club during that period."

It'll just be a question of whether SL clubs and players accept losing a player for a month, including the full-time training aspect.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Fev be bottom next season now. 🤣

So no DR to bash us with, and the club showed an operating profit last year, so no "reckless spending" jibes to be aimed at us any more either.

I predict that in forums and FB pages across the land, there will spring up a massive Featherstone Rovers love-in, with any bitterness over previous defeats against us replaced by floods of compliments.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

So no DR to bash us with, and the club showed an operating profit last year, so no "reckless spending" jibes to be aimed at us any more either.

I predict that in forums and FB pages across the land, there will spring up a massive Featherstone Rovers love-in, with any bitterness over previous defeats against us replaced by floods of compliments.

Stoned before midday on a Thursday?

Life is sweet, PH.

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Can York take the mantle of spenders now? Some serious Super League experience signed for next year!

Archived