Dual reg is dead

Batley Bob

8 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

Thats good to hear. Any idea how many loan signings teams are allowed . It's been a long time coming.  Never liked it in the first place. There should be a lot of happy supporters out there tonight whose teams used it to the full extent, and didn't like it themselves as supporters.😉

Poor reporting by Matt.

DR isn't dead, simply in hibernation for 2021. Expect it to rise again in 2022 if we have found a way of living with Covid 19.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Poor reporting by Matt.

DR isn't dead, simply in hibernation for 2021. Expect it to rise again in 2022 if we have found a way of living with Covid 19.

Hope you’ve signed enough players on , and not left space for hull kr players

IMG_0583.JPG

2 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

Hope you’ve signed enough players on , and not left space for hull kr players

22 so far BB. How about you?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Poor reporting by Matt.

Then the year we have without DR should give all clubs time to get used to not having it, Then stand up and vote to SAY NO,for 2022 to DR.BIN IT FOR GOOD a game.

On 04/10/2020 at 21:24, Dog forever said:

Thats good to hear. Any idea how many loan signings teams are allowed . It's been a long time coming.  Never liked it in the first place. There should be a lot of happy supporters out there tonight whose teams used it to the full extent, and didn't like it themselves as supporters.😉

Probably not in Featherstone though. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Quote: Probably not in Featherstone though.

Why?

I think you’ll find that the majority of Fev fans never wanted DR. However if one club uses it then all clubs end up using it, just the nature of the best unfortunately, no club wants to see another have an advantage.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

7 hours ago, ernieone said:

Perhaps Dual reg used with certain criteria would not be a bad thing for Championship clubs'.

The  way it has been used is the problem rather than the actual idea. 

Ernieone,

Before I ask please understand I personally think DR is bad for the UK clubs below SL full stop.

However I am interested to know what you think was the problem in the way that it has been used and what criteria you would add for when DR comes back post COVID-19 (which unfortunately will be back)?

10 hours ago, silverback said:

Then the year we have without DR should give all clubs time to get used to not having it, Then stand up and vote to SAY NO,for 2022 to DR.BIN IT FOR GOOD a game.

SAY NO interesting  it makes me laugh at it's concept teams like batley who SAID YES rarely used it and FEV who SAID NO  ran a successful  DR with leeds  only in rugby league 🤣 🤣 🤣

9 hours ago, ernieone said:

The  way it has been used is the problem rather than the actual idea. 

no problems for FEV  

FEV's coaching staff still work at leeds through the week so had  pick of DR players instead of leeds saying X , Y and Z need to play

AND it works both ways last week three FEV players played for leeds against catalans

When DR first came to fruition, I thought it was a really good system. A maximum of 2 DR and 1 loan player in a starting 17, and the upper age limit was 23 years old for DR.

It gave young players that were not at 1st team SL standard, the chance to play at a higher standard of rugby than either academy or reserves level. I'm sure it aided the development of players like Josh Griffin and Jermaine McGillvary for instance. It could be argued, would they have had the careers they have had, without DR?

For the CH and L1 teams, you might get a player that was much better than what you had or could attract. However,  it was a gamble, as young lads tend to make more errors and are less consistent than experienced pro's (although this is a generalisation).

It became a farce when the number was increased to 4 DR and a loan player and the age limit was removed. 5 out of 17 is too many and changed ordinary sides, in to good sides. In terms of player development, I'm not sure what the likes of Dwyer, Singleton, Ablett or Adam Swift gained from their DR games.

Although only tenuously linked to DR, It didn't help that the RFL ratified signings from one club to another, and then back again when it suited, to circumvent the rules regarding the number of outsiders allowed in starting 17.  

I am sure that a system could be created to give young super league players a chance to get first team experience in the Championship. 

Perhaps start with maximum age 22/23/24, look at maybe not made 10/15/20 first team apearances, a minimum dual registration for 3/6/9 month. 

Young players have come to Batley and been given a chance to develop Butterworth, Holmes, Russell, McGillvary, Connor, Broadbent to name a few, some others have not been as successful. 

These are initial thoughts and I am sure there will be other supporters who can add to the list. 

If it saves young players being lost to the game because they have not been given the chance to develop then it will be good for the game.

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

20 minutes ago, POR said:

SAY NO interesting  it makes me laugh at it's concept teams like batley who SAID YES rarely used it and FEV who SAID NO  ran a successful  DR with leeds  only in rugby league 🤣 🤣 🤣

no problems for FEV  

FEV's coaching staff still work at leeds through the week so had  pick of DR players instead of leeds saying X , Y and Z need to play

AND it works both ways last week three FEV players played for leeds against catalans

Were did I mention Fev or any other individual club in anything I have said? I am talking about rugby league in general.

Dual reg goes back a long way, earliest I remember is Bramley had seasoned internationals making appearances because of their tie with Leeds but of course it turned out to be a disaster for Bramley.

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

1 hour ago, POR said:

no problems for FEV  

....which only goes to reinforce the feeling that Leeds and Featherstone are, in all but name, more or less the same club nowadays. I know my Fev mates will disagree with that but I honestly believe that it's a very dangerous game Featherstone are playing. If you think that's too strong a view just read the comments regarding Bramley. With this awful virus situation strange things are happening and RL is not immune to anything. In fact the only positive we can take as a game this season is that, so far,  we still  have all of our clubs surviving. 

1 hour ago, ernieone said:

I am sure that a system could be created to give young super league players a chance to get first team experience in the Championship. 

Perhaps start with maximum age 22/23/24, look at maybe not made 10/15/20 first team apearances, a minimum dual registration for 3/6/9 month. 

Young players have come to Batley and been given a chance to develop Butterworth, Holmes, Russell, McGillvary, Connor, Broadbent to name a few, some others have not been as successful. 

These are initial thoughts and I am sure there will be other supporters who can add to the list. 

If it saves young players being lost to the game because they have not been given the chance to develop then it will be good for the game.

Likewise at Fev you could argue that DR has been good for the likes of Broadbent, Handley, Newman, Cameron Smith, Alex Sutcliffe, McLelland, Luke Briscoe, etc. However my belief is that this is only good for the SL club in the long term. and is to the detriment of the squad players in the championship/L1 clubs. There is no continuity where a player turns up maybe has one training session and then plays on the Sunday.

I think the young players at SL clubs are okay (ish) due to having the academy league, such that the 16-21 age group has a pathway, but it is that middling age group (22-25 that develop later) that has no where to go with no reserve league, which again has been scrapped to save SL clubs money.

The loan system is better for me, it means that the player is with a club for a minimum of 4 weeks, meaning that there is a commitment to the club the player is being loaned to.

I'd like to think that after this season that DR will be gone for good and that all the championship/L1 clubs would say we are no longer going to use it, however I am not that naive.

If we must have DR I like the idea that player can't go out on DR if that have had more than XX SL and/or CC games (whatever the XX number as long as it is reasonable somewhere in the region of 10-20 sounds a reasonable figure to me).

2 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

When DR first came to fruition, I thought it was a really good system. A maximum of 2 DR and 1 loan player in a starting 17, and the upper age limit was 23 years old for DR.

It gave young players that were not at 1st team SL standard, the chance to play at a higher standard of rugby than either academy or reserves level. I'm sure it aided the development of players like Josh Griffin and Jermaine McGillvary for instance. It could be argued, would they have had the careers they have had, without DR?

For the CH and L1 teams, you might get a player that was much better than what you had or could attract. However,  it was a gamble, as young lads tend to make more errors and are less consistent than experienced pro's (although this is a generalisation).

It became a farce when the number was increased to 4 DR and a loan player and the age limit was removed. 5 out of 17 is too many and changed ordinary sides, in to good sides. In terms of player development, I'm not sure what the likes of Dwyer, Singleton, Ablett or Adam Swift gained from their DR games.

Although only tenuously linked to DR, It didn't help that the RFL ratified signings from one club to another, and then back again when it suited, to circumvent the rules regarding the number of outsiders allowed in starting 17.  

DF,

I agree 5 loan/DR players is a lot and IMO too many. Though I am not convinced that it was upped to 5 when DR went from 2 to 4 I think it has been 5 for a significant amount of time. IIRC Bradford used that sort of number going back to the 70's to fulfil fixtures (not sure if that was under special dispensation though. 

See above re limiting DR to lesser experienced players.

1 hour ago, Ainley Top said:

....which only goes to reinforce the feeling that Leeds and Featherstone are, in all but name, more or less the same club nowadays. I know my Fev mates will disagree with that but I honestly believe that it's a very dangerous game Featherstone are playing. If you think that's too strong a view just read the comments regarding Bramley. With this awful virus situation strange things are happening and RL is not immune to anything. In fact the only positive we can take as a game this season is that, so far,  we still  have all of our clubs surviving. 

AT,

Not going to debate this with you here we have done it enough over a pint in the past, but just to say that if i didn't think Fev was a separate entity then I would walk away from the game and not just the club. Let's see how Fev fair with no DR in 2021, assuming that there is some championship rugby to watch.

Archived