Deliberate Knock on?

9 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Plus there is a ruling for deliberate knock on isnt there.

Deliberate 1. A player shall be penalised if he deliberately knocks on or passes forward.

Accidental 2. If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it touches the ground, a goal post, cross bar or an opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed.
Otherwise play shall stop and a scrum shall be formed except after the fifth play-the-ball.

Charge-down 3. To charge-down a kick is permissible and is not a knock-on.

Heading the ball 4. It is illegal to head the ball in a forward direction.

21 minutes ago, barnyia said:

There is a rule for deliberate forward pass. Deliberate knock on gets you a court case and a 2 year ban for betting probably 😂

If the reciever is in front of the passer when the ball is delivered he is offside, if the receiver runs onto a ball passed forward beyond an imaginary latteral line it is a forward pass.

36 minutes ago, POR said:

Deliberate 1. A player shall be penalised if he deliberately knocks on or passes forward.

Accidental 2. If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it touches the ground, a goal post, cross bar or an opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed.
Otherwise play shall stop and a scrum shall be formed except after the fifth play-the-ball.

Charge-down 3. To charge-down a kick is permissible and is not a knock-on.

Heading the ball 4. It is illegal to head the ball in a forward direction.

I'm not sure why they have never changed this law, as it isn't a thing nowadays. I believe RU still does penalise the intentional knock on, but sticking an arm out to prevent an overlap try is standard in RL.

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure why they have never changed this law, as it isn't a thing nowadays. I believe RU still does penalise the intentional knock on, but sticking an arm out to prevent an overlap try is standard in RL.

That's right 

If the referee decides a player has intentionally knocked on or thrown the ball forward, a penalty is awarded to the other team.

And if the referee decides the other team would have scored a try if the intentional knock-on had not taken place, a penalty try is awarded.

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is a stupid rule in either code 

20 minutes ago, langpark said:

I disagree. I think it is a good rule (only seen it given once, but it was fully deserved). Jist because it does not happen often does not mean it should not be a rule.

We see intentional knock ons in most games. They aren't enforced. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

For this very reason I always thought intentional knock ons weren't an offence, I don't think I ever seen a penalty given for one in Rugby League. I knew an intentional forward pass was

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Just now, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

For this very reason I always thought intentional knock ons weren't an offence, I don't think I ever seen a penalty given for one in Rugby League. I knew an intentional forward pass was

Yeah same. No issues with our approach, just not sure why we havent tidied up the laws. 

2 hours ago, POR said:

That's right 

If the referee decides a player has intentionally knocked on or thrown the ball forward, a penalty is awarded to the other team.

And if the referee decides the other team would have scored a try if the intentional knock-on had not taken place, a penalty try is awarded.

It regularly gets you tens mins sat on your botty too in union.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Is there not a difference between the deliberate knock on and a knock in while tackling in our rules? Though saying that the deliberate knock on is now never penalise, though I seem to remember one last year?

23 minutes ago, dkw said:

Is there not a difference between the deliberate knock on and a knock in while tackling in our rules? Though saying that the deliberate knock on is now never penalise, though I seem to remember one last year?

Yeah, I think that's around restarts, stealing, accidental etc. - but in terms of the sticking an arm out to stop a pass (which is the definition of intentional knock on) that is ignored. I don't think I have ever seen one, but have in Union.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, I think that's around restarts, stealing, accidental etc. - but in terms of the sticking an arm out to stop a pass (which is the definition of intentional knock on) that is ignored. I don't think I have ever seen one, but have in Union.

It might be my mind going but I`m sure I remember seeing one penalised not that long ago, cant remember if it was in SL or NRL though, i only remember because of the surprise it was given.

A deliberate knock on should clearly be a penalty.  But proving it's deliberate is very difficult because you can't get into someone's head; the best you can do is rule on the way they knocked it down i.e. did it look like they played for it or not.  Tricky.

7 hours ago, langpark said:

I disagree. I think it is a good rule (only seen it given once, but it was fully deserved). Jist because it does not happen often does not mean it should not be a rule.

This isn't a deliberate knock on , it's a #### take 

2 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Why? It's bad attack to allow a pass to get knocked down. You get the ball back still, but why should you be further rewarded with a penalty for taking the wrong option in attack?

Correct 

I brought this up last year after watching the union lot give a penalty try and a yellow card for one , the attacking team had a 3 on 1 , but the useless bstewards couldn't even score with that advantage , I couldn't believe they punished the defender 

Stupid rule 

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

A deliberate knock on should clearly be a penalty.  But proving it's deliberate is very difficult because you can't get into someone's head; the best you can do is rule on the way they knocked it down i.e. did it look like they played for it or not.  Tricky.

would have thought it's the way the ball moves tipping it up in the air ok  batting it down to the ground deliberate 

3 minutes ago, POR said:

would have thought it's the way the ball moves tipping it up in the air ok  batting it down to the ground deliberate 

Maybe you were attempting a drop goal ? , Danny McGuire tried that a few years back , then again that was for Leeds , so we know he was just cheating 😉

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Maybe you were attempting a drop goal ? , Danny McGuire tried that a few years back , then again that was for Leeds , so we know he was just cheating 😉

les tonks FEV's number 8 misplaced a pass and as the ball hit the ground put his boot through it  and was awarded a drop goal

y

Archived