Knights and Day: The remarkable progress of York

To those slight doubters out there I believe this time we have it right. There is definitely a true community in York now with everyone pointing in the same direction. The Elite player system with local clubs is starting to produce players too and retention of the young developing players which has been second story to the super league additions will be massive. Atkins and Co might get the headlines but Bass and Teanby will be just as important. 

On additional Income streams too which haven't happened for a while from the stadium, food and drink itself on match days (nothing from Bootham Crescent) will help on top of commercial rents from businesses already operating inside the stadium. The fan base is very interactive and the World Cup will only add to profile of the city. New Zealand mens and womens and Aussie womens are based in York along with France and Cook Islands womens. Along with the games too the future is looking bright but this is just the start. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Along with the games too the future is looking bright but this is just the start. 

As the song says " the future`s so bright I gotta wear shades !" No seriously, what you and Shropshire are saying sounds very positive. Great news. I read a lot of pessimistic stuff about the League in your nation but I definitely think that there are signs  that after a long struggle the code could be turning a corner. That it might finally start to be recognised for the attractive product that it is.

Someone here was quoting from an old magazines the other day where articles were saying how Rugby League was battling indifference and lack of finances, and that was 60 years ago. But it still survives, and there are still people who want to invest time and money. Like your good self. There`s got to be something there.

6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

On Wiki York`s old ground is listed as Clarence Street. Why is it in my memory that the name of the place we went to for away trips in the early eighties was Wigginton Road?

The old stadium was called Clarence Street but it was actually on Wiggington Road.

3 hours ago, DEANO said:

Latest addition is a young Aussie kid Brendan o Hagen 

Read about him last night, played junior rep football for NSW and has been signed by three clubs, Raiders, Tigers  and one other. Probably not quite good enough for first grade but will be very handy any way, looks like a tough little nut and one for the Gingernut X111 if their short of halfbacks. Bonus as well, was coached by Ricky Stuart, that won`t hurt a young halfback.

50 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Can’t wait to revisit this topic in 5 years, York have had more Phoenix moments than most but seem to be back to square one a few years later.

hope this one lasts, crowds grow and potential is met

Never had a decent ground with associated income streams AND a decent owner all at the same time though. I'm quietly confident we might actually be getting somewhere.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

On 08/10/2020 at 07:49, spanishknight said:

The old stadium was called Clarence Street but it was actually on Wiggington Road.

Main stand entrance was on Wigginton Road, entrance to the pop stand was off Clarence Street.

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

20 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Entrance to pop stand was on Haxby road

Quite correct John, was just checking people were awake.

On 06/10/2020 at 17:35, GUBRATS said:

Strangely I feel a sense of deja vu , as in I've read stuff like this before a couple of times about York in the last 20 years , let's hope this time it's the real deal and they can become a ' big ' club , in whatever sense that is ? 🤔

To be fair our only other 'phoenix moment' was under Steve Ferres & Roger Dixon from 2003-2006.

This one under Jon Flatman started in 2017 and is still going... As Simon says our planets finally seem to have aligned with a new stadium, a brilliant owner and a highly rated coach at the helm.

Exciting times! 😄 

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

To be fair our only other 'phoenix moment' was under Steve Ferres & Roger Dixon from 2003-2006.

This one under Jon Flatman started in 2017 and is still going... As Simon says our planets finally seem to have aligned with a new stadium, a brilliant owner and a highly rated coach at the helm.

Exciting times! 😄 

Ryedale York era was bigged up until it blew up, then the Lee Crooks era and NYC sponsorship, the 'deal' to buy London from Virgin and the Wasps era until it failed to complete the season in 2002, yo-yo ever since.

I really do wish you well but don't create a platform from which failure is easy to find and lose fans as a result, a weekend in York is the best UK weekender imo so build from good foundations

4 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Ryedale York era was bigged up until it blew up, then the Lee Crooks era and NYC sponsorship, the 'deal' to buy London from Virgin and the Wasps era until it failed to complete the season in 2002, yo-yo ever since.

I really do wish you well but don't create a platform from which failure is easy to find and lose fans as a result, a weekend in York is the best UK weekender imo so build from good foundations

Not sure how 30 year old history of a different club is relevant but your points have been duly noted.

The club has been building these foundations under Jon Flatman for nearly 4 years now (20 if you take the stadium into account!), so I think we're going as steady as we need to be...

York have been an admirable outpost of women`s SL. If a club launch and remain committed to their women`s team it`s generally a sign they want to broaden their presence in the community and have a better idea of how to build a fanbase.

I saw a couple of Livestream games of York women`s last year. In both they were clearly second best, but stuck at it and still managed periods of the games where they held their own. Cautionary reminder to journalists and others that in RL a team should not have their efforts and abilities casually dismissed simply because they`re on the wrong end of the scoreline.

As Deano would no doubt agree, people in North Yorkshire don't want RL.  Sorry but true. The club have been going since 1868: do you not think it would have happened by now if it was ever going to happen?  Just being realistic.

Seriously, York over the last couple of years have been a real success story and came closer to beating Cats in the 2018 Challenge Cup than Warrington did.  I hope they continue to progress.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

19 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Exciting times! 😄 

As Craig said , yes be ambitious , but keep it real and steady , genuinely hope the club builds 

20 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Not sure how 30 year old history of a different club is relevant but your points have been duly noted.

The club has been building these foundations under Jon Flatman for nearly 4 years now (20 if you take the stadium into account!), so I think we're going as steady as we need to be...

Is the major shareholder still Campbell of Fev

On 08/10/2020 at 01:41, unapologetic pedant said:

On Wiki York`s old ground is listed as Clarence Street. Why is it in my memory that the name of the place we went to for away trips in the early eighties was Wigginton Road?

I think it was called both. A good ground in its day.

7 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

I think it was called both. A good ground in its day.

That`s what I thought. I could only find references to Clarence Street, yet I`m sure I saw Wigginton Road written in programme fixture lists, Rugby Leaguer reports etc.

Definitely one of the better 2nd div grounds. Memory is hazy, so I might be deluded, but in my mind`s eye it had a hint of The Boulevard.

22 hours ago, latchford albion said:

As Deano would no doubt agree, people in North Yorkshire don't want RL.  Sorry but true. The club have been going since 1868: do you not think it would have happened by now if it was ever going to happen?  Just being realistic.

Seriously, York over the last couple of years have been a real success story and came closer to beating Cats in the 2018 Challenge Cup than Warrington did.  I hope they continue to progress.

I will have what he's smoking. The people that travel to York & other clubs from all over North Yorkshire wouldnt agree there. The community game is at its biggest and growing in participation. Harrogate RL is back too. 

9 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

I will have what he's smoking. The people that travel to York & other clubs from all over North Yorkshire wouldnt agree there. The community game is at its biggest and growing in participation. Harrogate RL is back too. 

I think you've missed latchford's not so subtle dig at DEANO there owd cock😊

1 hour ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Oh that’s good news. Playing out of where?

Archived