What were your best moments following Oldham?

Hollinwood

Just too many.

The obvious win against Wigan in the cup. Also beat them away on Easter Monday around that time to cost them the league. Any big night match at Sheddings when we won. Even on the occasion we took Australia close. Always good going into Yorkshire and winning, particularly at Headingley. Won at Hull in one of Wally Jones' first games, something like 8-2. Think we beat Hull 2-1 at home on one occasion .Lower scoring games were often the best.

The famous Flanagan 'Rouge tete, Monsieur.' game at Workington also stands out.

Green Vigo dismantling Warrington away. Hussain M'Barki at the same venue threatening to slit Les Boyd's throat after the game!

Obviously in recent years the two promotion finals in 2015 and 2019 would be up there along with the cup shock win against Hull KR in 2016.

I think a couple more that really stand out for me is playing Blackpool away in 2010? and McNally I think scoring in the last minute to win a huge game. Another was Barrow away in 2007 to go through to the Grand Final and Adam Hughes scoring an intercept to guarantee the win. Was a huge Oldham following in both games with superb atmosphere's.  Gill's winning try against Bradford in 2017 at the fold was also super as a one off moment.

1 hour ago, m brooksy said:

Obviously in recent years the two promotion finals in 2015 and 2019 would be up there along with the cup shock win against Hull KR in 2016.

I think a couple more that really stand out for me is playing Blackpool away in 2010? and McNally I think scoring in the last minute to win a huge game. Another was Barrow away in 2007 to go through to the Grand Final and Adam Hughes scoring an intercept to guarantee the win. Was a huge Oldham following in both games with superb atmosphere's.  Gill's winning try against Bradford in 2017 at the fold was also super as a one off moment.

Gills was a belter. How he got round all those bulls players god only knows. 

4 hours ago, Bert Street said:

Hussain M'Barki at the same venue threatening to slit Les Boyd's throat after the game!

Do tell!

I saw HB several times when he played for Fulham, he was as quiet as a church mouse in the players lounge after games, almost shy back then. 

Floodlight matches at Sheddings and definitely THE paddy try to send invincible Wigan out of the cup.

Also the great match against the Aussie tourists. Also loved the match against Walney Central in the cup, where Ganley was literally carried over the line to score the only try I can remember him scoring.

Great days.

The M'Barki story followed a melee in the corner at Wilderspool.

As I remember, Boyd smacked Hussain in a tackle to stop him scoring. Heated negotiations then prevailed and concluded  with Hussain staring out Boyd, drawing his fingers across his throat, baring his teeth and pointing to the dressing rooms.

Priceless stuff at the most hostile ground in the league.

Some of my favourite moments were driving to away games with my dad, having no idea where the ground was.  Hoping a ground had tall floodlights or following a red and white shirt in a car ahead.

The following any old red and white shirt wasn't always successful!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

9 hours ago, jroyales said:

Any floodlit night matches at 'sheddings.

Yes! The steam around scrums was a sight to behold!

Televised BBC Floodlit Trophy games in the 70s were special, the country was watching. The crowd shouted more at those games and there was more singing going on.

Friday nights at The Willows were a bit special too....City and United glitterati milling around and international singers performing at the nightclub, Salford were the glamour club back then and you felt you were privileged to be there.

10 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Starting Sunday's early and doing the pub  crawl up Huddersfield road onto ripponden road. Watch the match. Then into the club for post match banter. I always liked the first match of the season when the sheddings pitch was green and lush. Happy days.

Wasn't old enough for that when we were at sheddings but i bet it was brill. I've done Huddersfield Road and Rippy Rd many times. 

19 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Some of my favourite moments were driving to away games with my dad, having no idea where the ground was.  Hoping a ground had tall floodlights or following a red and white shirt in a car ahead.

The following any old red and white shirt wasn't always successful!

Funny you should say that, 'cause me and my dear old dad (God bless him) did exactly the same thing. I suspect that we must have followed your red and white shirts or your scarves streaming from the back windows of your car on countless occasions. If you got lost on the way to away games, then guess what ? So did we !  It was always an adventure. Great days, especially if we won.  If only we could turn back time.

Other memories involved away matches. 90-91, went to every match , collected the programmes and every copy of the chron with Rogers report. On away trips we would always play OMD's greatest hits on casdette. Also We would take a crib board and cards , find a pub and play 9 card Don. Sometimes this would attract locals trying to work out what we were playing. One memorable occasion was away to Fulham or London crusaders or whatever they were called . We were in a pub on the banks of the Thames.  We started playing when the landlord  said we weren't allowed to gamble. Of course we weren't. Locals gathered round to watch and work out what we were doing when an Irish chap came over and said "it looks like Don. Not seen that in years". Apparently it was popular in Dublin as well as oldham.

I remember the Aussie game, knocking Wigan out of the cup, beating Hull 2-1 (didn't the main kicker miss 3 pens for us that night? Not sure if it was Eric Fitzsimmons or Mick Parrish - Alan Platt came on as a sub and got the winning penalty - it was proper ####### down that night)

I also remember beating Bradford Northern 9-2 when they were flying high at the top, Geoff Munro crashing over in the corner by the Hutchins(?) stand

And Terry Flanagan scoring a drop goal from way out, at least 40 yards - I think against Wigan

There are so many of course but one for me has got to be our comeback win at Spotland in the semi final play off game against the old rivals Rochdale, which sent us on our way to the Grand Final against Widnes.  I couldn't grin wide enough and be happier if there were two of me at the end of that match!!

Oh the memories

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

One of my funniest memories was against Blackpool. The pitch was covered with about 100 ton of sand due to all the rain we had had.

We scored a try and someone comes running on with a "bucket of sand" for the kicker" Interestingly the kicker waited for him to come on and some wag shouted "where did you get that?"

He missed the kick, probably laughing too much!

• 2 weeks later...

The Hull KR Final at Old Trafford for me, the only Trophy Final they have won really in my 54 years watching them, two other outstanding memories , Charlie Mc getting dumped off the Super Dooper Stretcher they had at HULL KR , and Finally as mentioned above on the way back from those games at Thrum Hall Halifax before the M62 was completed and the stream of red rear lights on the back of all those cars coming back over over the Hill, in the late 60's and early 70's

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Archived