Most Memorable Match

Wakefield Ram

Well I have a memorable dream! Dewsbury were unbelievably at Wembley (though the old Wembley) and even more unbelievably their opponents were Oldham! And we raced into an 18-0 lead, Graham Mook scoring alongside Nigel Stephenson and Chris Mita but in typical fashion it became 18-all at half time; I never know what happened in the second half as I woke up! Otherwise as I have said many moons ago it has to be  March 13th 1977 Dewsbury 8 St Helens 11 challenge cup quarter final, us in D2, with 10,000 in CF packed to the rafters and the best try Harry Beverley ever scored (those knees!) plus one from John Clark. If only it were 5 mins longer we would have won...,

So many to choose for so many reasons, but for me (bar the '73 Final) it has to be the 73 Semi Final win at Warrington.....fierce & bruising but we stood toe to toe with them and gave one of the most committed performances I've ever seen ..., brave doesn't come near describing what we were that day.... We won the Championship that day, as much as we won it 2 weeks later against Leeds ..... Heroes !!! All 16 of 'em 

Yes remember the 1977 quarter final v Saints. We'd beaten Trinity in the previous round with a try from Jeff Grayshon. My favourites were late 1980s under Maurice Bamford when we came back and beat teams late on. Think it was Rochdale when we were something like 28-6 down at HT and came back to win 32-30. But my favourite was 1989 beating Trinity 18-17 in the old Yorkshire Cup with a stellar performance from Marquis Charles.

1 hour ago, Therein73 said:

So many to choose for so many reasons, but for me (bar the '73 Final) it has to be the 73 Semi Final win at Warrington.....fierce & bruising but we stood toe to toe with them and gave one of the most committed performances I've ever seen ..., brave doesn't come near describing what we were that day.... We won the Championship that day, as much as we won it 2 weeks later against Leeds ..... Heroes !!! All 16 of 'em 

I really must concur. That semi-final at Warrington was, for, me, the best team display I have seen from a Dewsbury side, especially on defence, with John Bates to the fore with his copybook tackling and Nigel Stephenson with his kicking, both tactical and at goal. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

There's a few that stick in the memory 

Rochdale vs Dewsbury in the play offs at spotland Paul durnin scoring the winning try. 

The draw against Oldham at watersheddings Greg Pearce missing a kick to win the game (we did them in the replay at Batley midweek) 

Dewsbury vs Hull Kr 3-2 one evening and almost dark by the time it finished, Paul shuttleworth sent off for a high tackle. 

Losing to saints at headingley in the cup I still wanna kill Neil holding lol. 

Fateful day at runcorn.. Said on the way in the vibes were all wrong from the team and we'd lose. 

Many memories for different reasons, some good, some bad

But all about following Dewsbury ❤️

The Rochdale play-off game, Wakey in the Yorkshire Cup with Willie Johnson's winning drop goal and beating Hull KR 3-2, as mentioned above. I'd also add beating Halifax at home circa 1989 and John Dorahy sat on the halfway line shaking his head in disbelief after Dennis Bailey scored the winning try. The famous Scarborough Pirates win with Eddie Rombo's magic debut.

I'd also add Halifax away this season. It wasn't the greatest game technically but the way we clung on and some of the last-ditch tackles - I remember a great one by Liam Finn - were reminiscent of some of my fondest early memories watching the world's greatest rugby team

6 hours ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

The Rochdale play-off game, Wakey in the Yorkshire Cup with Willie Johnson's winning drop goal and beating Hull KR 3-2, as mentioned above. I'd also add beating Halifax at home circa 1989 and John Dorahy sat on the halfway line shaking his head in disbelief after Dennis Bailey scored the winning try. The famous Scarborough Pirates win with Eddie Rombo's magic debut.

I'd also add Halifax away this season. It wasn't the greatest game technically but the way we clung on and some of the last-ditch tackles - I remember a great one by Liam Finn - were reminiscent of some of my fondest early memories watching the world's greatest rugby team

Yes the foggy Monday night in Scarborough took hours to get there and even more to get home.. Classic night that, A64 seemed as if it was a 1000 miles long crawling along in the darkness and fog.. Did we care.. Not one bit 🤔😀🤔😀🤔😀

15 hours ago, coolie said:

Yes the foggy Monday night in Scarborough took hours to get there and even more to get home.. Classic night that, A64 seemed as if it was a 1000 miles long crawling along in the darkness and fog.. Did we care.. Not one bit 🤔😀🤔😀🤔😀

Went to all the games mentioned except Runcorn away (thankfully - think they'd not won in last 95 games). Was in the corner where Paul Durnin scored the winner. And yes Halifax win was a great one. For the oldies 1978 having not won a game we beat Leeds 18-12.

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Did anyone go to 1973 Australia match? Be interested to hear about that. Just a few months before I started.

I was there, still have the programme, but let BSJ tell you the story about us having 14 players n the pitch!

Legs, Dews, Legs.

I think that Mick Stevo made a guest appearance by kicking off.... I think we'd just signed Graham Chalkley and he made his debut in that match ..... I know we gave a fighting performance before going down 17-3 .... And i remember a noisy rendition of "go home you bums" -- mostly due to the Aussies questionable tactics.... A great afternoon tho !!

On 07/10/2020 at 18:39, Wakefield Ram said:

Fed up with Covid news so what's your most memorable match? If you want to post 1973 Championship or 2000 GF would you mind adding another match.

I'd go for a match away from the usual obvious choices - it's so obscure, I might have even dreamed it. It was memorable, because not only did we thrash a useful Huddersfield outfit on their own midden, but did it with a scratch team. If I remember correctly, it was Tony Fishers first match in charge, and sported the fastest Dewsbury back line ever assembled (in my time as a fan). I think it involved Eddie Rombo, Eric Kibe, Dennis Bailey, Errol Johnson and probably Nathan Graham, and provided a real feast of attacking football. Can't remember the rest of the team, so if any of the older members of the forum can remember the game, maybe they could help me out. Course like I said- I may have just dreamed it. Never forget the looks on the faces of the curmudgeonly Huddersfield fans as their side got demolished. 🙂

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

It's funny how minds work differently, isn't it?

The games that I remember most vividly were generally the abject ones. Yes, I was at Runcorn standing under a leaking roof as we crumbled before a very poor side. I recall a game at Bramley, probably Yorks Cup, where a talented side threw away the game by being complacent after building a lead. I was one of the expectant throng at Thrum Hall when Maurice Bamford had just re-energised a woeful Halifax team and knocked us out of the Yorkshire Cup semi final in 1979. I was also present at our last visit to the Fartown ground where a fairly ordinary Huddersfield put us to the sword (I had to leave part way through the 2nd half as I began suffering from what turned out to be chickenpox). I was there for our visit to Fulham's ground when we permanently lost the services of one of our more promising scrum halves, thanks to Reg Bowden's knees; even more concerning was the price of a hot dog in London - devastating! A truly shocking display at Barrow in 2018 is also seared into my memory.

On the plus side are victories over Hull KR at Crown Flatt, finally overcoming Leigh to win the league in 2000 and beating Wakefield in the CC before the epic against St Helens. The most enjoyable game that I recall, however, was our victory over Toulouse at home in 2017, one of the best games of RL that I have seen. 

Happy grumpy days!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

A few more snippets:

0-0 vs Rochdale 

1-0 vs York

CC victory vs Leigh 2007

Northern Rail & Championship victories vs Halifax

Losing at home to Huyton in CC

THAT CC semi vs Bradford '73

A 70point drubbing at York

Being turned over by Sharlston in CC

The win at Blackpool to complete our 'Invincibles' season

1972 Yorks Cup Final 

Saints at Headingley in CC 

The last game at Crown Flatt

A Yorks Cup defeat at home to Cas where the Ref seemed to let play go on for ever until Cas got the winning drop goal

An 'A' Team final loss to Bradford by a point ( I think) in 1971 (?) 

The Schofield-inspired Reserves Final win at Leigh 

It's never predictable as a Dews fan

seeing that we know seem able to pick more than one game I'll go for the following;

Halifax away in Mark Keyworth's day.  I went on my own as my Dad assumed we would get panned.   We didn't win many that season but we did win that one.  Cant remember the score, didn't care...

Blackpool away in the invincible season.  The atmosphere was amazing given that we rarely take more than a few 100.  We owned the place that day and the team thoroughly deserved it.

Scarborough away and Eddie Rombo, as mentioned by others

For the wrong reasons the fight at York where we made Look North was pretty memorable..Took the nipper.  I don't think he'd ever seen anything like it...

Playing Warrington in the Challenge Cup at home in 1981. Midweek match with a big crowd, a great atmosphere and a very good performance by the team that was doing nothing special that season against a very good Wire outfit. 

Playing Hull in 1984 in the JPS Trophy. Biggest crowd I ever saw at Crown Flatt. Another great atmosphere and a gutsy performance by Dewsbury against a team of international legends. Sterling, Topliss, Crooks, Kemble, O'hara, Au Kuoi, Muggleton. Etc. 

The Hull fan's supped every drop of Slalom Lager in the pavilion that day, by all accounts. They were welcome to it, as it was the mankiest drink of all time 😖

Beating Wakefield in the Yorkshire Cup in 1989. Brilliant that day! 

Coming from behind and beating Halifax in 1990. John Dorahy got sent off for throwing his teddy and rattle out of the cot. I was behind the sticks when we scored our last try. Absolutely ace feeling! 

Playing Wigan in 1993 at Mount Pleasant. Biggest crowd I ever saw at that place. Dewsbury just put themselves between another team of international legends and the goal line behind them, and just grafted their backsides off all afternoon. 

Playing Featherstone when Glenn Morrison was the coach on the first match of the season, about five years ago? 

The first half was 95% procession and territory to Rovers. They passed up on a million chances to go for goal, and at half time it was scoreless. I couldn't believe it! Effort unlimited that day. We came out and won the second half. What a game! 

On 09/10/2020 at 15:11, Crown Flatter said:

I was there, still have the programme, but let BSJ tell you the story about us having 14 players n the pitch!

I wasn't there CF, so over to you. 🙂

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 09/10/2020 at 13:39, Wakefield Ram said:

Did anyone go to 1973 Australia match? Be interested to hear about that. Just a few months before I started.

What a match.3-17-att.over 5000.The tests only got between ten and 15000.Nigel a goal and drop.11stone Alan Bates not taking a backward against the mighty Artie Beetson.World class centres in fulton and rogers.Dews.team Rushton,Ashcroft RIP.  Day,N.Stephenson,mitchell-last saw him in the slubbers arms-hudders.agar,hankin,alan bates-don't know where John was-must ask him if we ever get back to the tets.voyce,dick lowe,grashon,,Chalkley-there was a chalk.playing for shawcross a few seasons ago.Clark.H.T score was 3-2.Very close to the very end when aussies scored 3 tries.                                                          

Archived