Unbelievable!

Salford and Leeds are are playing on the Tuesday before The Challenge Cup Final.

My appologies.  One should never assume... but I had. I had assumed that there would not be any mid week games before the Cup Final.  I thought I lived in a rational world.

Is this insane or wot?

But it is an insanity that continues. No doubt the stupid organisers and their crass clubs will squeeze in an impossible number of games into next season and pile them up to the World Cup.  I suggest a lottery on which of our top players will get injured and/or cream crackered and never get as far as the selection process.

But don't worry, the clubs dont care 2 hoots about the WC being a springboard for domestic development.  And never mind that a cogent or perceptive journalist might make a point or two.

Princey just got out of bed over here and saw the double " unbelievable" thread, thought something big must have been happening, didn`t know which one to open first !!

I remember someone writing in my year7 yearbook along time ago "Too much sex blurs the vision " but I knew It wasn`t that !!

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Salford and Leeds are are playing on the Tuesday before The Challenge Cup Final.

My appologies.  One should never assume... but I had. I had assumed that there would not be any mid week games before the Cup Final.  I thought I lived in a rational world.

Is this insane or wot?

But it is an insanity that continues. No doubt the stupid organisers and their crass clubs will squeeze in an impossible number of games into next season and pile them up to the World Cup.  I suggest a lottery on which of our top players will get injured and/or cream crackered and never get as far as the selection process.

But don't worry, the clubs dont care 2 hoots about the WC being a springboard for domestic development.  And never mind that a cogent or perceptive journalist might make a point or two.

It's ridiculous, especially if a player were to test positive for covid at/around that needless game and not only end his involvement in the Challenge Cup Final but potentially other players too. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

It's not ideal, but unusual times require unusual measures.

Both clubs will simply pack out their teams with juniors, 75%+ of the Wembley players will be rested.

Not noticed the coaches or players complaining, Agar and Watson were both pragmatic about it on Sky last night.

10 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Princey just got out of bed over here and saw the double " unbelievable" thread, thought something big must have been happening, didn`t know which one to open first !!

I remember someone writing in my year7 yearbook along time ago "Too much sex blurs the vision " but I knew It wasn`t that !!

You Aussies  grow up early . Year 7 are  11 year olds over here....

I know the game is very different now, but this thread is an excuse to bring up one of my favourite "can't believe it happened" tales.

In 1974, Featherstone reached the Challenge Cup semi finals, due to be played on Saturday March 30th.

From March 17th to March 25th they had to play four league games in eight days.
They then had the Challenge Cup semi final against Leigh five days after that hectic eight-day period.

And then...

Leigh and Featherstone had to play each other again, in a league game, the day after the Challenge Cup semi final!

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I know the game is very different now, but this thread is an excuse to bring up one of my favourite "can't believe it happened" tales.

In 1974, Featherstone reached the Challenge Cup semi finals, due to be played on Saturday March 30th.

They then had the Challenge Cup semi final against Leigh five days after that hectic eight-day period.

And then...

Leigh and Featherstone had to play each other again, in a league game, the day after the Challenge Cup semi final!

Different times. Widnes had 7 games in 15 days in the run up to Wembley in 1977.

You can imagine a Melbourne Storm-esque ploy of infecting a few reserve players with Covid-19 and sending them out to play the Tuesday game and wiping out the opposition team in the days before the Cup Final.

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

And then...

I ought to remember that but can't.  However on the other hand in the winter and pre superleague era there were nearly always a raft of rearranged games due to weather... so it all merges together.  Plus back then the game was part time.

The end of the season is in danger of descending into a debacle, and i must reiterate that we ought to decide now, (now!) for next season to start it later, limit the number of games and prepare for a good crack at the World Cup. 

Is there a sane journalist in the house?

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

I ought to remember that but can't.  However on the other hand in the winter and pre superleague era there were nearly always a raft of rearranged games due to weather... so it all merges together.  Plus back then the game was part time.

The end of the season is in danger of descending into a debacle, and i must reiterate that we ought to decide now, (now!) for next season to start it later, limit the number of games and prepare for a good crack at the World Cup. 

Is there a sane journalist in the house?

Never going to happen, the SL clubs won't give up on home games and revenue after this season, the one's who are desperate for money are those who are suffering at present due to running with skinny squads.

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

And then...

AND Leigh didn't have enough players so ( correct me if I'm wrong) but either an ex Rovers player played for  Leigh or someone out of the crowd probably an ex player.

It seems fair enough to me. We all know the clubs have to play the full season to get the Sky money, without which many face financial ruin, and it’s proving difficult to do so. Therefore they both play weakened teams (as some did in the league games before the semi finals - well done Wigan 😂), this gives the fringe players a much needed game and the first teams are fresh for the final - bobs yer uncle everybody’s happy. 

12 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

And then...

Thank goodness for the 5 metre rule.😀

13 hours ago, del capo said:

You Aussies  grow up early . Year 7 are  11 year olds over here....

It would have been the end of year 7 so most would have been 12. I was going to go and dig it up up because I was certain there was another `saucy` entry, however it came back to me this morning, " Rocket, may all the ups and downs in your life be in bed ." and that one I remember was from one of the girls ! However I have to admit Del capo, it was all bravado, there wasn`t too much of the old " horizontal folk dancing "  going on from, certainly not in my quarters. 😀

Archived