Rangi Chase joins West Wales Raiders

15 hours ago, DEANO said:

Evidence speaks for itself. Nomadic clubs in their short history lack of crowds hammerings and.  here today gone  tomorrow. Much as I admire them and wish them all the best history shows it doesn’t work in Wales 

''When Thomas Edison was interviewed by a young reporter who boldly asked Mr. Edison if he felt like a failure and if he thought he should just give up by now.  Perplexed, Edison replied, “Young man, why would I feel like a failure?  And why would I ever give up?  I now know definitively over 9,000 ways that an electric light bulb will not work.  Success is almost in my grasp.”  And shortly after that, and over 10,000 attempts, Edison invented the light bulb.''

Getting something right, (in most cases) isn't a single event.

It's the final step in a long series of getting it nearly right.

I agree that starting a poorly funded, professional team in virgin territory and hoping for a roaring success is naive and almost certainly, doomed to fail. I think we know that now. So what are we (they) doing differently? 

The Welsh Rugby League is actually going from strength to strength.

I believe the effort to develop the game in Wales is (finally) using a fully integrated approach. Encouraging increased participation at grass roots, schools and colleges and universities, providing representative opportunities for the better players at every level and employing one of the best coaches in the Northern Hemisphere to prepare our International (professional) teams.

This is how you embed the game in a new territory creating lifelong enthusiasts at every level of the game.

We know now, that it takes a long time and success is measured by looking at a whole range of indicators of growth, right across the board and when growth is evident we (should) celebrate it.

Cobbling together enough money for 2 seasons and buying in a load of has-beens, dressed up in the same coloured shirts, calling them a club (when they're not even a team) and hoping to spark a revolution just doesn't work.

Your comments Deano, about admiring them and wishing them well just don't ring true.

You have been very selective in the evidence you choose to base your opinions on and ignored the very real evidence that there is an appetite for rugby league in Wales and the people running the game there are succeeding.

With friends like you, we don't need any enemies.

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 6

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The idea that Rugby League isn't viable in Wales is bunk. If we look at the three years that Crusaders had under licensing in SL (one in the south, then 2 in the north) They pulled in an average of ab

Chase and Henson what on earth could go wrong? What's Willie Mason up to these days? There could be a welcome for him in the hillsides? 

Gaz Hock to come out of retirement?

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

''When Thomas Edison was interviewed by a young reporter who boldly asked Mr. Edison if he felt like a failure and if he thought he should just give up by now.  Perplexed, Edison replied, “Young man, why would I feel like a failure?  And why would I ever give up?  I now know definitively over 9,000 ways that an electric light bulb will not work.  Success is almost in my grasp.”  And shortly after that, and over 10,000 attempts, Edison invented the light bulb.''

Getting something right, (in most cases) isn't a single event.

It's the final step in a long series of getting it nearly right.

I agree that starting a poorly funded, professional team in virgin territory and hoping for a roaring success is naive and almost certainly, doomed to fail. I think we know that now. So what are we (they) doing differently? 

The Welsh Rugby League is actually going from strength to strength.

I believe the effort to develop the game in Wales is (finally) using a fully integrated approach. Encouraging increased participation at grass roots, schools and colleges and universities, providing representative opportunities for the better players at every level and employing one of the best coaches in the Northern Hemisphere to prepare our International (professional) teams.

This is how you embed the game in a new territory creating lifelong enthusiasts at every level of the game.

We know now, that it takes a long time and success is measured by looking at a whole range of indicators of growth, right across the board and when growth is evident we (should) celebrate it.

Cobbling together enough money for 2 seasons and buying in a load of has-beens, dressed up in the same coloured shirts, calling them a club (when their not even a team) and hoping to cause a revolution just doesn't work.

Your comments Deano, about admiring them and wishing them well just don't ring true.

You have been very selective in the evidence you choose to base your opinions on and ignored the very real evidence that there is an appetite for rugby league in Wales and the people running the game there are succeeding.

With friends like you, we don't need any enemies.

Great post, you hit on so many of the issues facing expansion. Way too often the expansion of our game has been based on what you state above and that is

1. wealthy(ish) individual comes along offering to start a new team in a new area.

2. on acceptance by the RFL said individual cobbles together a team of mostly has been or never quite good enough players, usually with a failed veteran coach.

3. this “team” is then based in a rented stadium which may or may not be suitable for the sport and the whole operation then just sits back waiting for the crowds to roll up, and they might for the first couple of games, but after a few hammerings they soon stop showing up

4. a number of the has been players succumb to long term injuries, replaced by hasty loan signings, results get worse.

5. wealthy (ish) owner finds the money he has spent on old players, ground rent, loan signings is way more than he expected, plus the crowds have now plummeted so he pulls the plug

6. a small hard core of fans band together to save the club, however it’s now having to be run on a shoestring budget, in a cheaper ground and it limps along from defeat to defeat before it eventually collapses.

Throughout all of this there is often little or no attempt to put down solid roots, yet the RFL’s approach to expansion seems to follow this modal each time, like it never seems to learn.

I honestly don’t know if the game will ever have a strong pro set up in South Wales, I do know that before we give up on any expansion we have to get much smarter on how expansion is planned.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, DEANO said:

Evidence speaks for itself. Nomadic clubs in their short history lack of crowds hammerings and.  here today gone  tomorrow. Much as I admire them and wish them all the best history shows it doesn’t work in Wales 

actually history shows it hasnt really been tried... 

read any of the history of RL and you will see that is the case in most expansion.. dropping clubs in, giving them no support, hoping that somehow it will grip is not trying expansion and it is not professional. 

Welsh expansion has its own unique problems but history simply shows things we should be wary of the next time, it does not and never does show that you should not try again. History only repeats itself if you are not prepared to learn from it. 

• Like 5

I was concerned about how the parents of the young players at the Academy would welcome 2 players with such a negative publicity regarding their off - field behaviour.

Fortunately,Salford Red Devils have ridden to the rescue

https://wrl.wales/wrl-enter-into-strategic-partnership-with-salford-red-devils

• Like 2

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I'm amazed at how much negativity has been in this thread, this signing, if nothing else, shows that West Wales is trying to address some of the issues which have hurt the club in previous seasons which have been:

• Ability to attract players to the club
  • Ability to introduce professional structures
  • Ability to raise awareness about the club

Regardless of what you might think of Rangi as an individual, the fact he has over 200+ games of first grade experience, played in the NRL and Super League, and has 8 caps with England, means he is certainly not a nobody and will go a way to helping address some of those issues, especially when paired with Gavin Henson plus the retention of some of the coaching staff from last season.

Now of course there is more for the club to do, but this is positive news.

In fact there is a nice swell of positive news for Wales of late.  Outside of this and the Salford partnership, I see the Flintshire Falcons are reforming for 2021, plus there are some clubs reforming / returning in the south as well and of course a steady trickle of Welsh junior talent being picked up by SL clubs.

• Like 6

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

14 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I was concerned about how the parents of the young players at the Academy would welcome 2 players with such a negative publicity regarding their off - field behaviour.

Fortunately,Salford Red Devils have ridden to the rescue

https://wrl.wales/wrl-enter-into-strategic-partnership-with-salford-red-devils

fantastic news!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2020 at 09:24, Hela Wigmen said:

Is Chase moving down to that part of Wales, does anyone know? Or is he going to travel down for games and training?

I read it that he would be moving that way. Carl Hall said “The decision Rangi has made is one based on his personal circumstances and wanting to progress his career post rugby league.”

whilst Rangi said: 

I am really looking forward to it and I will be down there probably in a couple of weeks to train hard and do the best I can and hopefully help take this club up the ladder and give the competition a shake up.”