Pay Per View

kev p

just seen the premier league is going for Pay Per View for games outside the sky/BT contracts for £14.99 a game, plenty of opposition, but i feel its a good deal. you could not gat a ticket at any premier league ground for that. for someone taking a child or two  would save a good lump. nothing like going though. perhaps RL could have a good look at how it goes & then if we are still in the situation we are now it would be worth looking at for next season, if the problem continues. PPV season tickets could be looked at also. Need a plan B if things dont change. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you pay for the games not shown on sky/bt. far cheaper than going to a game, which is not an option! i'll be happy to pay for my teams games not on sky/bt, even though i'm a season ticket holder at a premier league club. rather be there though

fans in stadiums are vital, enjoying games from all sports on tv, but the missing fans make it a bit disappointing. PPV would help away fans in all sports, .all sports are missing match day income even though premier league income is about 25% of their income, it makes the difference of a + or - on the balance sheet. any extra income from games behind closed doors must be looked at.  

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d pay that but that’s not going to raise much.

The database says and  I believe we have 100 k  at least   members   on role and so far.

Could well fund the non SL game forever.... with benefits to all of us....

37 minutes ago, del capo said:

The database says and  I believe we have 100 k  at least   members   on role and so far.

Could well fund the non SL game forever.... with benefits to all of us....

Think it’s 150k but not all would pay. My household has two members, one is a child.  

Let’s say 25k pay £20. That’s £500k.  Nice but that’s not going to go far.

1 hour ago, del capo said:

Our League could go the same way

20 quid  a year for live but basic coverage of a Champ/ League 1 game each week ?

Thoughts ?

Would you be able to subscribe from overseas? If so I would pay it to watch Thunder and any other game that interests me. There must be many like me too all around the world, currently no one tries to sell us anything.

If you want something you need to pay for it.

I'd be prepared to pay a tenner a month for the chance of watching a couple of Championship / L1 games each week. 

A major proviso would be reasonable production values and commentary (a minimum would be someone who could sprake English), but these would come at a financial cost. 

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

We get single feed cameras....

If RL did go ahead with this idea I think teaming up with a University for production could offer VFM. A uni offering courses in audio / visual studies, media, communication, journalism could be an ideal partner. 

Yes... it wouldn't be Sky-level quality, but I reckon you'd get a really professional broadcast. 

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

If RL did go ahead with this idea I think teaming up with a University for production could offer VFM. A uni offering courses in audio / visual studies, media, communication, journalism could be an ideal partner. 

Yes... it wouldn't be Sky-level quality, but I reckon you'd get a really professional broadcast. 

Was tried by a few RU clubs I know of a couple of years back - because, as you say, it looks a good idea on paper.

in reality It was at best like pulling teeth and at worst a nightmare:

- weekends outside the timetable tend to be when the students either have jobs or most of the ones interested in sport are playing sport 

- club insurance meant they had to be supervised by someone from the club (so additional manpower burden) and from the uni; cue lecturers being jobbed to give up their weekends.

- on top of all that, given it wasn’t part of the course, the students’ propensity to turn up was variable.

some of that can be countered by making it part of the course, but then you’re stepping out from a bit of cheap work experience and into something with a cost.

It’s not very glamorous, but clubs have had far more success with journalism students knocking up match reports and copy to get out to copy starved press than with consistently trying to produce film match coverage.

every club could do worse than just give a couple of free tickets per match to a student to write about it. That really is a quick win.

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Which was  part of my suggestion to produce a highlights,review,preview product 

1 hour ago, frank said:

You can watch any sport for free on Free Tv.

You can.

In a sport as cash poor as rugby league, the fewer people like you the better.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Damien said:

I think it's pretty terrible. I cant see many people paying that on top of what they currently pay for Sky, on which they often see their own team anyway.

If you want to see every game your team plays then you've never been able to do that via Sky or BT. There are always games that you have to pay extra for - in the form of tickets - and they're usually a lot more than £15.

I can understand the annoyance at the cost and the hassle (I'm not sure if I think the pricing is fair TBH) but the idea that it's wrong to charge for it at all is just based on wilful misunderstanding.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

30 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You can.

In a sport as cash poor as rugby league, the fewer people like you the better.

I don’t have  dodgy box. Lots of people I know do. There is everything you could possibly want to watch on there from EPL to the Madagascanopen bog snorkeling championship.....

The music industry went through this 25 years ago and free music over the Internet changed the music industry for good. I'm expecting a perhaps lesser transformation on telly viewing/ppv.

We can debate the rights and wrongs til we're blue in t'face john. I did all that when napster and kazaar were on the go, music being very important to me. But its happening one way or t'other 

Archived