Pay Per View

kev p

9 hours ago, SL17 said:

What is the cost of an OurLeague game?

Costs of livestreaming a game ...

These guys

Charge in blocks of £120 per hour. So that's £120ph for filming, another (I think) £120ph for commentary, another for graphics, another for live streaming. Call it, for maths purposes, an even £500 per hour. Let's say you'd need a minimum of two hours for a typical rugby league - so that's around £1,000.

So, to cover the costs of the streaming alone, you'd need 100 people to pat £10 or 200 to pay £5.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/10/2020 at 10:16, JohnM said:

People who watch on TV are still fans.  Try to get a ticket to go to Stamford Bridge to watch say Chelsea v Liverpool. Even if there were any available, and free of charge, it would cost Liverpool fan £100 to go.

Same with our game. I'm a Wigan fan but now live 160 miles from Wigan, my health precludes a day trip to an 8 PM kick off game at the DW, and my wallet precludes paying for a ticket AND an overnight stay with meal, fuel etc.

A global tv show? Bring it on!!!!!

Wigan fan ? That's a funny looking Wigan badge you have there !

I am a Man United fan, wouldn't use any other badge than Man United other than England & Celtic on occasion *with good reason*.

Personally I would be happy to pay £5 month for Championship/L1 PPV, £60 per year would need 10,000 subscriptions to raise £600K before operating costs but better than the zero cash currently coming in at this level.

If sold worldwide to fans SL/Champ/L1 + overseas Ex Pats etc it might be possible to stretch those subscriptions out to 15K bringing £900K to the table before costs. If there are as suggested 150K Our League subscribers then a small % of these + Club fans might achieve those numbers ?

There are enough case studies out there now, from ice hockey, Scottish football and English non-league, of streaming to judge the quality, and number of viewers needed and what they are willing to pay.

Just takes someone to look into it, and not just turn up with a camera and hope for the best.

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

No doubt. The RFL have done a good job with OurLeague. But as @Steve Slatersays, they are restricted by Sky in what they can do. 
There will come a point where we see  clubs withering away. . 
Things like this will throw a life line out.

But as always clubs are slow to react.

Sitting in comfort zones. But that’s soon to end and still no plan action as they are waiting for answers instead of creating them.

Or the clubs realise it won't provide anywhere near enough to justify playing the games 

23 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

More important, however, it would give an insight on what advancing technology may bring and give an indication on whether the current restrictions that Sky impose need to be taken out of any future TV negotiations.

You do realise that SL would lose their near exclusivity with Sky if that happened Steve, the consequence I believe would be a return to a SL closed shop, under no circumstance whatsoever should that be allowed to happen.

53 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You do realise that SL would lose their near exclusivity with Sky if that happened Steve, the consequence I believe would be a return to a SL closed shop, under no circumstance whatsoever should that be allowed to happen.

You could keep that near exclusivity with Super League, or at least with games they are showing live, but Championship and L1 games are rarely televised, don't their fans deserve the chance to watch their teams as often when they can't get to the games, especially away fixtures? Plus its not just about money, don't our old and vulnerable fans want something to watch while they're stuck at home shielding?

I also believe the operating costs could be much lower than those quoted by the professional live streaming company. Fev, for example, send the same copy off to the RFL for disciplinary purposes. If they weren't running their own TV channel they would have to pay for this compulsory "disciplinary" recording separately, and until recently the commentators, who were very well received by subscribers, were volunteers working for expenses only.  

• 5 weeks later...

Once again the Premier League's pay per view didn't last too long:

The Premier League has scrapped its pay-per-view method for matches until at least the new year, and some fixtures will now be shown on the BBC.

Fulham's game against Everton on Sunday, 22 November (12:00 GMT) will be screened live on BBC One.

The Premier League said all remaining games in November and over the Christmas and New Year period will be shown on existing broadcast services.

The £14.95 pay-per-view fee was introduced in October.

It led to significant protests among fan groups and more than £300,000 has been raised for charity by fans boycotting pay-per-view games after top-flight clubs voted 19-1 in favour of the "interim solution".

Now, the Premier League has reverted to the model used in September, in which all 28 Premier League matches were shown live with all broadcast partners - Sky Sports, BT Sport, the BBC and Amazon Prime - screening matches.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54932314

9 hours ago, Damien said:

Once again the Premier League's pay per view didn't last too long:

The Premier League has scrapped its pay-per-view method for matches until at least the new year, and some fixtures will now be shown on the BBC.

Fulham's game against Everton on Sunday, 22 November (12:00 GMT) will be screened live on BBC One.

The Premier League said all remaining games in November and over the Christmas and New Year period will be shown on existing broadcast services.

The £14.95 pay-per-view fee was introduced in October.

It led to significant protests among fan groups and more than £300,000 has been raised for charity by fans boycotting pay-per-view games after top-flight clubs voted 19-1 in favour of the "interim solution".

Now, the Premier League has reverted to the model used in September, in which all 28 Premier League matches were shown live with all broadcast partners - Sky Sports, BT Sport, the BBC and Amazon Prime - screening matches.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54932314

Would be interesting to know how many people actually paid to watch.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think this was a cold and particularly mean-spirited initiative from the PL, and I'm sure that Sky won't have been too happy as they received plenty of stick as being money grabbers when it wasn't their thing.

I understand why the PL landed where they did, on paper it probably looked OK, but it was tone-deaf at a time when goodwill towards the public goes a long way. 

I spoke to Sky at least 8 - 10 years ago when I was wanting to cancel. They asked what sports I was interested in and I said it was only RL and I wasn't bothered too much about many other sports, and I didn't want my £25 subscription (or whatever it was at the time) as I was only finding time to watch a game or 2 per month.

We then talked about pay per view and I said I would be interested if that came about as I believed sports-specific subscriptions were the way to go. I asked how much a single game would cost to which they replied about £6 - £7 per RL game - so £15 now is on the same sort of level. 

It was cheering to actually speak to someone at Sky at the time who were prepared to have an informed conversation. Sky have the ability and know-how to do ppv and sports specific subs much better than they do now, but still more or less choose the one-size-fits-all model which may ultimately be their downfall

Fundamental problem with this is, I and many other championship club supporters donated their season ticket money to the club. I would still buy a 2021 Season Ticket for London Broncos. If however we had a situation where having paid for a 2021 ticket, I was then being told I had to pay again to watch the Broncos, my response, politely, would be I have already paid to watch my club at home so it would be taking the p**s to charge me again. At a minimum, I would expect a free livestream for ST Holders

While I have come to realise that there is a large clump of TRL posters who either never go to matches or go very infrequently. Those of us that do go, at some expense, to support their club and Rugby League events across the country are, some might say, the bedrock of the game and this is a sport that, when things do get back to normal, will need fan goodwil more than ever. So why even contemplate pay per view.

Incidentally, I make the point again when the RFL engaged in a PPV exercise with the England v Samoa game down under a couple of years ago, rumour has it in a competitior magazine that less than 1,000 paid to watch. It's an experiment the RFL has never repeated since which gives some credence to the story.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

58 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Fundamental problem with this is, I and many other championship club supporters donated their season ticket money to the club. I would still buy a 2021 Season Ticket for London Broncos. If however we had a situation where having paid for a 2021 ticket, I was then being told I had to pay again to watch the Broncos, my response, politely, would be I have already paid to watch my club at home so it would be taking the p**s to charge me again. At a minimum, I would expect a free livestream for ST Holders

While I have come to realise that there is a large clump of TRL posters who either never go to matches or go very infrequently. Those of us that do go, at some expense, to support their club and Rugby League events across the country are, some might say, the bedrock of the game and this is a sport that, when things do get back to normal, will need fan goodwil more than ever. So why even contemplate pay per view.

Incidentally, I make the point again when the RFL engaged in a PPV exercise with the England v Samoa game down under a couple of years ago, rumour has it in a competitior magazine that less than 1,000 paid to watch. It's an experiment the RFL has never repeated since which gives some credence to the story.

I partially agree with you, but I think the point you make about season ticket holders is the key one. The point of PPV is to replace revenue that's being lost due to the ban on paying crowds. If you've already effectively bought your match ticket through a season ticket, then of course you should get you PPV access for free. It's a no brainer which I hope clubs would realise. 

For everyone else, I don't see the problem with paying a fee for a game you wouldn't get to see otherwise. And I think it would work better than the England game becasue it would be a bigger, longer lasting service than a ropey one-off. 

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I think you make a very valid point but surely, its not beyond the wit of man/woman for the club to issue a ppv voucher to season ticket purchasers? The only benefit (for the clubs) in ppv is to increase the total income they receive from their fanbase. Launching ppv and watching it have a detrimental effect on home gates would be ludicrous. Irregular visitors to the games or fans who are too remote  to get there might well relish the chance to watch from a distance and thereby provide some much needed ''support'' for their beloved club.

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Under the covid situation we do have a split society, and while many people are struggling financially the people they are by and large trying to protect, the pensioners, are ironically not affected as much. I am in that group and have never been as well off because I can't spend any money. There are also many younger people who are lucky enough to be working, either travelling to work or working from home who can't spend any money either, leaving them with an inflated disposable income. It's up to them whether they make extra charitable donations or put the money aside for a new car or expensive holiday, but if they are to get live streaming for free there's nothing to stop them supporting their club financially with whatever they feel is appropriate or what they can afford, via squad builder funds or similar. If they were to lose their club through the pandemic and they didn't help the best way they could they would have no-one to blame but themselves.

2 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

This year, season ticket holders have been given free access to non-Sky games on Our league, so I think RL shares your view. 

I assume PremLeague clubs didn't sell season tickets for this year? 

5 hours ago, shaun mc said:

I spoke to Sky at least 8 - 10 years ago when I was wanting to cancel. They asked what sports I was interested in and I said it was only RL and I wasn't bothered too much about many other sports, and I didn't want my £25 subscription (or whatever it was at the time) as I was only finding time to watch a game or 2 per month.

We then talked about pay per view and I said I would be interested if that came about as I believed sports-specific subscriptions were the way to go. I asked how much a single game would cost to which they replied about £6 - £7 per RL game - so £15 now is on the same sort of level. 

It was cheering to actually speak to someone at Sky at the time who were prepared to have an informed conversation. Sky have the ability and know-how to do ppv and sports specific subs much better than they do now, but still more or less choose the one-size-fits-all model which may ultimately be their downfall

I don't think thats too far off where we are now with the specific sports channels. RLs problem is that through our own faults we have not created enough content/interest for content to have a channel of our own.

Possibly more relevant than whether football-saturated fans want to pay more to watch some football when there is football everywhere ... just noted that second-tier ice-hockey club Swindon Wildcats are running a test streaming series and last night appear to have drawn 1,690 paying punters along at £12 a time.

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Possibly more relevant than whether football-saturated fans want to pay more to watch some football when there is football everywhere ... just noted that second-tier ice-hockey club Swindon Wildcats are running a test streaming series and last night appear to have drawn 1,690 paying punters along at £12 a time.

Really? If you said to me that a second division ice hockey game was streaming at £12 I’d have guessed at 20 viewers. 

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Really? If you said to me that a second division ice hockey game was streaming at £12 I’d have guessed at 20 viewers. 

They seem very pleased. Saw it quoted by the main British Ice Hockey account.

23 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Ultimately sky and BT dont make their money through sport. 

Sky profit comes from selling entertainment pack and to some extent broadband, BT through making alot on their broadband. 

Both use sport in hope that you bundle (sky force that through entertainment pack needing to be bought, BT by making BT sport cost a lot more if bought through Sky) 

On your idea though, sky sell daily passes through Now TV at £9.99 so effectively do PPV via streaming (Normally offers through now tv to stream all sport channels for between £18 and £25 a month) 

On 13/10/2020 at 10:20, gingerjon said:

Costs of livestreaming a game ...

These guys

Charge in blocks of £120 per hour. So that's £120ph for filming, another (I think) £120ph for commentary, another for graphics, another for live streaming. Call it, for maths purposes, an even £500 per hour. Let's say you'd need a minimum of two hours for a typical rugby league - so that's around £1,000.

So, to cover the costs of the streaming alone, you'd need 100 people to pat £10 or 200 to pay £5.

Film my match are excellent my football club played away at Sheppey United a few weeks ago and they filmed LIVE cheap and very good.

On 15/11/2020 at 07:20, Eddie said:

2,800 sales over two matches is the claim: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/other-sport/sheffield-steeldogs-enjoy-winning-role-streaming-series-pilot-scheme-bring-back-hockey-3036549

Archived