What does the season look like from here?

Scubby

Is there a cut off point for trying to squeeze games in? Is the GF date set in stone etc? Really difficult to keep up with the top 4 and knowing what clubs have to do? If Catalans play less games but have a higher win ratio is there any incentive for them to catch up?

Asking for a friend 😕 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mess.   It's what I feared most.  A competition that just lacks a bit of credibility.  Whoever wins it, folk will say "Aye, that was the Covid season, wasn't it ?"   It'll be a bit like winning one of thed War competitions.

I dread to think what'll happen if Covid stops one of the play-off games being played.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

17 minutes ago, Griff said:

A mess.   It's what I feared most.  A competition that just lacks a bit of credibility.  Whoever wins it, folk will say "Aye, that was the Covid season, wasn't it ?"   It'll be a bit like winning one of thed War competitions.

I dread to think what'll happen if Covid stops one of the play-off games being played.

like winning the world heavyweight title "when mike tyson was in prison"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

It is what it is Iam afraid and if people think its not valid it's silly (IMO) because most fans wanted season restarted and must have an idea what could happen. It only did restart because the clubs were desperate for the Sky money with not having fans in. Whoever wins the GF are worthy winners for getting through this because it hasn't been easy for any club. 

18 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Call it off. Get zero credit if you win this comp this year I'm afraid. 

I wouldn't call it off.  Games need to be played.

But the winners won't get the credit they (probably) still deserve.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I get it is a dogs breakfast but I am also grateful that there is some competitive RL on to watch. This season is a mess but there are lots of mitigation.

What I don't know is what is the cut off point, are the GF date and play-offs set? When will we give up on scheduling some games in and start the business end? I have had a good look around and can't fathom what the plan is? I know the CC final is next week, what happens from here? I am genuinely not stirring up #### here.

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I get it is a dogs breakfast but I am also grateful that there is some competitive RL on to watch. This season is a mess but there are lots of mitigation.

Pretty much this . It’s just a case of trying to get to the end I guess . It’s not particularly grabbing me , the lack of crowds is a big factor . Almost like we’re going through the motions . Play offs may be better but as you say getting this far is a big achievement with a hell of a lot of effort put in by a lot of people , which must be applauded 

The updated rules from September on deciding the final table by percentage points seems to cover the plan for the rest of the season. 

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/57071/-betfred-super-league--competition-update

Although I can't see it specifically stated anywhere it that implies that the playoffs and GF are now fixed and sets out when extra games can be made up.

Only this weekend and Nov 1/2 for making up missed fixtures. 

Finding out what fixtures are to be played isn't so easy. Of the 3 teams who've only played 12 looks like Leeds are going fulfil all there games (or they were until the Cas game got postponed), Catalan website has only 6 games on their fixture list to come and I can't find any details for Salford. 

I think the plan set out is as good as it could be in the circumstances. Hopefully those teams in playoff contention at come November will step up their social distancing at the end of the season and so we dont have any issues with the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Hullfan said:

Call it off. Get zero credit if you win this comp this year I'm afraid. 

The renegotiated sky deal was reliant on the season being finished, do you think clubs can survive without this cash?

I’m sick of the whinging surrounding this season, the clubs, players and RFL/SL are doing the best they can to get through it and it means we get to watch dome rugby, just enjoy it for what it is, this whole ‘lacks credibility’ is nonsense IMO, lacks credibility with who?

I’m confused. What’s happened in the past five hours that’s dramatically changed this year? From what I can see, nothing. It’s not been ideal, it’s not been smooth at times but we’re doing what we can and that’s all that can be asked this year. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m confused. What’s happened in the past five hours that’s dramatically changed this year? From what I can see, nothing. It’s not been ideal, it’s not been smooth at times but we’re doing what we can and that’s all that can be asked this year. 

I supposed there is that question now we are nearing the business end etc. When the last scheduled round of games are? Does the top 2 guarantee you a home match in the play-offs or will it be a double-header at a neutral venue? Where will the GF be held and on what date? This is not scathing criticism, just some structure to comprehend what is going on week-to-week atm.

8 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I supposed there is that question now we are nearing the business end etc. When the last scheduled round of games are? Does the top 2 guarantee you a home match in the play-offs or will it be a double-header at a neutral venue? Where will the GF be held and on what date? This is not scathing criticism, just some structure to comprehend what is going on week-to-week atm.

Given what’s happened to the world over the past ten months, it’s little surprise that there is shorter than normal notice for events. I can’t see how any of the questions you ask can be answered at this stage. 

5 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

The renegotiated sky deal was reliant on the season being finished, do you think clubs can survive without this cash?

I’m sick of the whinging surrounding this season, the clubs, players and RFL/SL are doing the best they can to get through it and it means we get to watch dome rugby, just enjoy it for what it is, this whole ‘lacks credibility’ is nonsense IMO, lacks credibility with who?

Absolutely 100% agree with this. I for one am very grateful we have games to watch and am thoroughly enjoying the rugby. The clubs and players are making a herculean effort to put games on and play them back to back in extraordinary circumstances, that effort is literally saving the clubs from financial oblivion. Not a single team is chucking the towel in on the pitch. The effort being made is truly remarkable and gives the season huge credibility in my eyes.

Interesting that an odd amount of games is the issue for most when loop games and magic has always ment an uneven schedule.

For me the only contentious point is the rule changes mid season and that some clubs have cancelled games whilst others were happy to play with fringe players. 

They have started it, everybody involved has put a lot of effort in so they need to run it to a conclusion by whatever means possible, the percentage table was a good idea to achieve this, I think everyone accepts that no spectators is a given as thing's deteriorate nationally.

The positive thing now is that it is looking likely that all of the clubs will get to the 15 game threshold. So far there hasn't been a disaster with a whole spate of cancellations, and whilst there is still a risk, we should be able to get to that 15 mark, certainly for the teams at the top.

I agree with the couple of posts about the clubs, RFL and SLE doing a great job here, I've really enjoyed it, looking foward to the cup final on Saturday and I think as we saw with Wire v Wigan the other night, there is no shortage of effort and skill on show - I think it is disrespectful to everyone involved to belittle their efforts.

Let's enjoy it at a time the world has gone crazy.

Fully agree. All parties have done a great job. Skill, effort, entertainment has all been in abundance. New rules have worked really well. Super League/RFL made the early call on using percentage wins as a foresighted contingency.

Like every other walk of life in every other country , it is all about everyone doing their bit to ensure there is some form of return to normality as possible. I think RL both here and in Austraia have done better than most 

On 11/10/2020 at 12:54, Griff said:

I wouldn't call it off.  Games need to be played.

But the winners won't get the credit they (probably) still deserve.

I agree, it is a shambles (changing the % based system didn't help, perhaps should have gone with it from the restart?)

But I agree the winners should get full credit for this season but I just dont see it happening.

42 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The positive thing now is that it is looking likely that all of the clubs will get to the 15 game threshold. So far there hasn't been a disaster with a whole spate of cancellations, and whilst there is still a risk, we should be able to get to that 15 mark, certainly for the teams at the top.

I agree with the couple of posts about the clubs, RFL and SLE doing a great job here, I've really enjoyed it, looking foward to the cup final on Saturday and I think as we saw with Wire v Wigan the other night, there is no shortage of effort and skill on show - I think it is disrespectful to everyone involved to belittle their efforts.

Let's enjoy it at a time the world has gone crazy.

Yes I agree.  However the fundamental rule as i understand is that clubs must complete 15 fixtures to qualify (??).

At the moment Leeds & Catalan are on 12.  Saints 13.  So will it ne a sqeeze to fit games in?  The season is inherently unfair, but there really is no option as i see it.

By Friday, we’ll have four teams who have played fifteen (Hull, Huddersfield, Wire and Wigan), three on fourteen games (Hull KR, Saints and Wakefield) and three on thirteen games (Leeds, Salford and Cas). I don’t think we’ll be far off at that point, so it’s not a big deal at all. 

Saints are all but there, Wigan probably need one win and Warrington will have played the minimum number of games, though qualification for the play-offs won’t be a given. It’s on Leeds and Catalans, really and Catalans have a few home games coming up. 

Archived