Bristol All Golds

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RP London said:

great news for the area.. not wanting to act as a negative but what impact will this have on the Sonics? I hope they are somehow involved.

I think Sonics are ... resting ... right now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

57 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Some ambitious plans there in professional rugby, wanting Magic to be played in Bristol and wanting Internationals to take place there. 

Ashton Gate holds 27,000 these days, would be a great venue for Magic.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Ashton Gate holds 27,000 these days, would be a great venue for Magic.

Which is considerably smaller than any venue we’ve used in the past and we’ve only ever had one weekend attendance at Magic that was less than 54,000 (Aston Gate sold out over both days), in 2010 at Murrayfield. 

I don’t think Magic is a viable option there unless there is more development planned there. Internationals though, it seems a good venue for that kind of event. 

This all sounds great! The partnership with the college is a genius idea meaning instead of having to find facilties themselves or end up nomads they just use the excellent facilities on offer at the college and have access to a large group of potential players straight away. I like how they are emphasising youth development as well, expanding the sport into a new area by getting kids involved is definitely the way to go. Also encouraging how the college they've partnered with has previous success at developing teams in other sports. 

In terms of magic, venue is quite a bit smaller than others that have been used but I suppose it is further to travel than other venues and it would almost certainly be full which would create an incredible atmosphere. I'm certainly up for magic in Bristol if it happens. After the success of the World Cup game there it is a shame we didn't push on with more internationals there. Seen as we only get 5k for one off tests in the heartlands I don't see any problem with taking a mid-season game to Bristol. We're wanting a mid-season game next year so how about England v Wales at Memorial Stadium, maybe have it as a double header with England v Wales women or something. The opposition for that game will clearly be Wales or France so might as well pick the one closest to Bristol. 

Saying more for discussion than cos I like the idea but what about splitting Magic between Cardiff and Bristol?

Day 1 at Cardiff City Stadium, bit bigger ground on the day that traditionally has more people in attendance, Day 2 at Ashton Gate, smaller ground for the day with lower attendance.

You could still have the option to buy a ticket for the whole weekend, choose which city you want to stay in and it's only an hour on the train between them.

Would it even be possible to split the days themselves, have one game at one ground then have a 2-3hr gap to the next two and have those at the other ground, the gap giving time for fans to travel to the other ground if they wanted to? 

As I say, just putting forward an idea for discussion. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Which is considerably smaller than any venue we’ve used in the past and we’ve only ever had one weekend attendance at Magic that was less than 54,000 (Aston Gate sold out over both days), in 2010 at Murrayfield. 

I don’t think Magic is a viable option there unless there is more development planned there. Internationals though, it seems a good venue for that kind of event. 

Having a sell out rather than lots of empty seats isn’t a bad thing, even if it means 500 or so people don’t get in. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Having a sell out rather than lots of empty seats isn’t a bad thing, even if it means 500 or so people don’t get in. 

Thousands of people wouldn’t get a ticket. We’ve had 9 weekend attendances of over 60,000 and only 4 ever that were less than 60,000. It would, in my opinion, be shooting ourselves in the foot. 

Internationals by all means should be taken there. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Thousands of people wouldn’t get a ticket. We’ve had 9 weekend attendances of over 60,000 and only 4 ever that were less than 60,000. It would, in my opinion, be shooting ourselves in the foot. 

Magic attendances are declining (as a trend), having it at a sold out ground would make it more of an event that people are desperate to get tickets to, instead of one where you can decide up to the day whether to bother going or not. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Magic attendances are declining (as a trend), having it at a sold out ground would make it more of an event that people are desperate to get tickets to, instead of one where you can decide up to the day whether to bother going or not. 

But still not below 54,000 (and wasnt the return to Newcastle for this years supposed to be selling very well?), so you’re losing thousands and thousands of pounds because you want it to look fuller on TV. From a commercial view, it makes no sense. 

The event isn’t defined by the ease of sourcing a ticket either. 

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Yes, the total crowd wouldn't be quite as high, but it depends what the aim is.

If it's pure money making, then frankly Manchester is the best bet. 

But it's also part of promoting the game in a new area, and Magic has benefited the well organised and ambitious clubs in the North East, and I think All Gold's record in the South West would also be worth supporting. They have shown evidence that they could make the most of the event to boost their programs, which bost the wider game as Newcastle have. 

I expect the hire costs would be lower, Sky would still get their 6 games in one place in weekend, and you'd definitely get more fans from all over the South East, for whom Newcastle is too far.

Seems worth considering to me. 

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

But still not below 54,000 (and wasnt the return to Newcastle for this years supposed to be selling very well?), so you’re losing thousands and thousands of pounds because you want it to look fuller on TV. From a commercial view, it makes no sense. 

The event isn’t defined by the ease of sourcing a ticket either. 

Look at the day attendances, Ashton Gate would fit about four of the past twenty single day crowds. And two of those would be very tight.

So it's not remotely worth considering.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Look at the day attendances, Ashton Gate would fit about four of the past twenty single day crowds. And two of those would be very tight.

So it's not remotely worth considering.

Exactly this. 

By all means take an International game there but unless there is more development due at Ashton Gate to take the ground closer to, or over, 35,000, I can’t see how it’s even remotely worth considering. 

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Some ambitious plans there in professional rugby, wanting Magic to be played in Bristol and wanting Internationals to take place there. 

Magic at Bath would be an idea.... Funny old place the Rec. Very convenient for boozing in Bath which is great then just walk to the ground 

I suspect a Magic weekend would get plenty of union fans walking up to o

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Magic at Bath would be an idea.... Funny old place the Rec. Very convenient for boozing in Bath which is great then just walk to the ground 

I suspect a Magic weekend would get plenty of union fans walking up to o

It’s a smaller venue than Bloomfield Road, there’s no way on earth Magic Weekend is going to Bath any time soon. 

21 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Back to Bristol, great news on the surface although I do worry greatly about attracting a fan base when you play with the proven crowd killer of an athletics track. 

It’s really clear why they’re playing at that ground, and getting fans in probably isn’t their initial priority. 

Archived